Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Rockhopper build - what type of shifting should I put on it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 02:23 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Hi fellows,

I am in the process of aquiring a Specialized Rockhopper for my planned build. While I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to the bike in general (change the BB, use a quill-to-threadless-converter, change the hub to an 11 speed compatible one, etc..), I am torn as to what type of shifting I should be using.

Here's what I am considering right now - Mostly 1x11 or 1x10.

1st Option:
  • Bar end shifters (Microshift 11 Speed) which can be used in friction mode which would give me freedom to choose whichever RD I can get my hands on and are cheap
  • DEORE RD-M5100 11-speed Rear Derailleur
  • DEORE CS-M5100 11-speed Cassette 11-51
  • SRAM S-500 Brake Levers
This would likely be the cheapest option and i wouldnt be locked into any parts and could mix'n match.

2nd Option (tbf, not as fleshed out as the one above )
  • Some affordable Sram STI 1-by setup with a wide range 11-46 casette
I always wanted to try Sram, since I've only tinkered with Shimano so far and I like the convenience of shifting from the hoods and indexed gears, plus I like the look of the STIs. This however, would lock me into a particular groupset and i am not too versed in Sram to begin with, but if it would only be marginally more expensive I recon this would be worth the experience.

What do all of you think?
Thanks for your input!

BR

Other fun things I plan on putting on for those who care: 26 x 2.3 Maxxis DTH
Old 07-27-22, 04:35 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
That all sounds good, just comes down to your personal preference, and how you'll be riding. Make sure the brake levers play nice with the brakes--you didn't indicate whether you have v-brakes or cantilevers on there.

The other option, of course, is no shifting at all! I love my single speed Rockhopper. So light and playful.

Specialized Rockhopper Singlespeed by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr
Likes For PugRider:
Old 07-27-22, 04:59 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Oh and one other thing, before you go investing in expensive tires, make sure they fit in there. I was just fooling around with sizes the other day on mine and a 2.4 with chunky side lugs definitely didn't fit; seems like 2.1/2.2 was the sweet spot; a 2.3 on my bike I would consider a big maybe. But again, depending on the generation it could vary, and rim width/tire actual width are always x-factors.
Old 07-27-22, 05:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@ Positron400 - I think it will be close.What is your intended use?

I had 2.3 on mine with plenty of clearance with a street tire. The issue is getting past the brake pads.
P1240586 on Flickr

If you ever want to add a suspension fork, if you don't have one, It can be a bit tighter
RockHopper_ Sprung_2012_07 on Flickr

And finally, if fenders are of interest they might fit with the right tire.
Truck with packw on Flickr
Old 07-27-22, 05:24 AM
Positron400

Thanks for your input - I was planning on using Cantis, since Í read that those would work with STI-type shifters - And i dont want to use a TanPan.
I was worried a 2.3'' wouldnt fit, thanks for the heads up! The tread on these Maxxis DTH is not terribly nubby or agressive, so i hope they will fit - if not, i will go with the 2.15'' version.

EDIT: Singlespeed, while cool - Is not something I will be putting on this frame - rather a future fixie

Last edited by Positron400; 07-27-22 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-27-22, 05:28 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by SJX426
@ Positron400 - I think it will be close.What is your intended use?

I had 2.3 on mine with plenty of clearance with a street tire. The issue is getting past the brake pads.

If you ever want to add a suspension fork, if you don't have one, It can be a bit tighter
on Flickr

And finally, if fenders are of interest they might fit with the right tire.
r
thanks - the photos are much appreciated! The "use case" will be "having fun off-road", but no technical downhill descents, since it's my first foray into MTBiking. Good to know that 2.3 will fit after all. I wont be using a suspension fork for the forseeable future (dont like the look or weight of them, and are not necessary for my type of riding)
Old 07-27-22, 07:33 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your build.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-27-22, 08:04 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
https://www.gevenalle.com/
Drop bar shifters. Pretty much in whatever configuration or compatibility you like.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-27-22, 08:08 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
@Positron400, I don't really think bar ends are the best solution. With drops, or dirt drops, STI's make more sense to me.
With off-road use, I'd think you'd spend more time riding the tops or hoods.
Old 07-27-22, 08:19 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I love bar end friction shifters, but I see no need to limit myself to a 1X. I would go 2X10 or even 3X10 since a Rockhopper will never be a racing bike and I could put some granny gears to use. I don't have any cool friends though to make fun of my 3X bikes.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-27-22, 08:53 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I use SRAM Rival with a 32t chainring and an 11-42 cassette on my drop bar mountain bike.

Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 07-27-22, 09:35 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by himespau
Looking forward to seeing your build.
Thanks, I will tryn' take some pictures to post
Old 07-27-22, 09:37 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I love bar end friction shifters, but I see no need to limit myself to a 1X. I would go 2X10 or even 3X10 since a Rockhopper will never be a racing bike and I could put some granny gears to use. I don't have any cool friends though to make fun of my 3X bikes.
I wanna try the look of 1x - also I don't wanna use a front derailleur for a change. I'd never make fun of anyone using 3x10 or "granny gears" for that matter (which i consider to be very derogatory and personally would never use). The easier the gearing, the better, esp. in rough terrain. But for this build i am pretty much locked into a 1x system because I wanna try it.

Originally Posted by base2
https://www.gevenalle.com/
Drop bar shifters. Pretty much in whatever configuration or compatibility you like.
While i like the approach that gevenalle takes, they are 1.) not readily available here and 2.) I don't like the way the cable shoots out the side. (which might interfere with potential handlebar bags)
Old 07-27-22, 10:38 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
While i like the approach that gevenalle takes, they are 1.) not readily available here and 2.) I don't like the way the cable shoots out the side. (which might interfere with potential handlebar bags)
You can probably buy directly from Gevenalle and have them ship to you, but I don't know what shipping costs would be. Shipping out of the U.S. tends to be expensive, but they might have a partner in Europe or something.

As for the handlebar bag issue, I haven't had any problems with that.

Old 07-27-22, 11:50 AM
Positron400

Very nice bikes! And thanks for illustrating, that the shifter cable wont interfere with a handlebar/rando-bag. That is defo good to know.
However, to me it's more of an aesthetics thing. I prefer a clean-ish front end w/o too many cables. I am not a big fan of the vintage brake levers, where the cable shoots up, and prefer the aero-variants of modern STIs.
I recon bar end shifters would fall in the same category since i can route them under the bar tape.
Old 07-27-22, 01:20 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
However, to me it's more of an aesthetics thing. I prefer a clean-ish front end w/o too many cables. I am not a big fan of the vintage brake levers, where the cable shoots up, and prefer the aero-variants of modern STIs.
Aero brake cabling has nothing to do with STI shifting. On Shimano STI "brifters", the shift cables still run externally. If you want aero brake levers, get aero brake levers. They'll still be vintage.
Old 07-27-22, 01:25 PM
Positron400

Originally Posted by madpogue
Aero brake cabling has nothing to do with STI shifting. On Shimano STI "brifters", the shift cables still run externally. If you want aero brake levers, get aero brake levers. They'll still be vintage.
Alright alright, sorry for not being 100 % accurate with the terminology - what i meant by "aero" levers, was that the cable doesnt shoot out from the top/side of the brake lever/sti. I am aware, that we are talking about external cable routing, which I am totally fine with (and actually prefer)
Old 07-27-22, 01:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I think he means the more modern/higher level integrated shift/brake levers where the shift cable comes out the base and runs along the handlebar with the brake lever, not the ones where the shift cable comes out the side.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-27-22, 03:44 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I wanna try the look of 1x - also I don't wanna use a front derailleur for a change. I'd never make fun of anyone using 3x10 or "granny gears" for that matter (which i consider to be very derogatory and personally would never use). The easier the gearing, the better, esp. in rough terrain. But for this build i am pretty much locked into a 1x system because I wanna try it.

It was just a suggestion which you did ask for and not meant to be derogatory in any way. To say granny gears in this part of the country simply means low gears. It doesn't reflect on ability in any way. We all have granny gears in out trucks and tractors.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-27-22, 03:47 PM
Positron400

Originally Posted by RH Clark
It was just a suggestion which you did ask for and not meant to be derogatory in any way. To say granny gears in this part of the country simply means low gears. It doesn't reflect on ability in any way. We all have granny gears in out trucks and tractors.
Oh, okay - my bad. Allow me to apologise. I felt it was some "roadie term" used for cyclists who are not strong enough to ride up 20 % inclines with an 11-25 to 39/53. (Also, English is not my native language)
I appreciate the explanation and the suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-27-22, 09:27 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts

DTH 2.15's are substantial - almost no need to go to 2.3 size

attached pic of a bike with 2.15's installed
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-30-22, 10:11 AM
Positron400

For anyone interested, I decided to go with thte Microshift 11x bar end shifter and Sram S500 brake levers in combinaton with an Shimano XT RD for 11 speed. Gonna use it in friction mode for now (until i can make sure the freehub can use an 11 speed casette to switch to indexed). Should be fun!