Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain falling off cassette (not what you are thinking)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-03-21, 08:03 PM
ronopolis

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shimano Ultegra drivetrain. This isn't the "normal" chain falling off of the cassette issue. I can't shift the chain off of the cassette, the shifting is all spot on. But...

I'm in my biggest gear (chain is on the smallest cog in the cassette). I'm going down a hill, eventually get to 35mph or so and pedaling isn't really helping. So I'm pedaling hard and then I suddenly stop pedaling. The rear cassette has momentum, so it continues to rotate a tiny bit more, which causes the chain to move forward and down to the chain stay. The chain almost touches (or maybe slightly touches) the top of the chain stay. Then the cassette rotates back a few degrees and the chain snaps back (or really, up) into its normal position. And at this point the chain falls off the cassette, to the outside (away from the hub). The chain is off the cassette, and the cassette is now free spinning. I can shift the chain back on to the cassette but as you can guess, this is a huge pain. It doesn't happen every time, but often. More than once I've started to pedal and "Oh Crap my chain is off."

I've never had a bike do this. What is going on? Again, I can't shift the chain off of the cassette, and the shifting is spot on. I sized the chain using the normal "wrap the chain around the biggest rear/biggest front and add one link" measurement. But is my chain one link too big?

I live in Colorado, so this is really annoying, I never have a flat ride.
Old 07-03-21, 08:14 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
What model Ultegra RD?

Sounds like your B screw adjustment is too slack, and/or your chain is too long.
Old 07-03-21, 08:26 PM
ronopolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
What model Ultegra RD?

Sounds like your B screw adjustment is too slack, and/or your chain is too long.
Ultegra RD-R8000 GS R Derailleur. B screw adjust... hadn't thought about that one. I think it was correct when I built the bike, but... maybe not anymore?
Old 07-03-21, 09:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
What model Ultegra RD?

Highly, extremely, almost definitely not this. If the chain was too long you'd only see it in the small ring/small cog or 2. Wouldn't matter a bit anywhere else. Same with b screw adjustment. What kind of wheels do you have? Sounds like a Mavic freehub that needs cleaning/lubing.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-03-21, 10:18 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Looks like you're laying down the watts like Cavendish!
Old 07-03-21, 10:37 PM
ronopolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Highly, extremely, almost definitely not this. If the chain was too long you'd only see it in the small ring/small cog or 2. Wouldn't matter a bit anywhere else. Same with b screw adjustment. What kind of wheels do you have? Sounds like a Mavic freehub that needs cleaning/lubing.
Mavic Ksyrium UST CL Disc. Yikes. Can you explain a bit more how the hub is making this happen? Is the freehub clean/lube relatively straightforward? I built this bike from scratch, I know how to do a lot of basic stuff, but never got into hub maintenance.
Old 07-03-21, 10:45 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
This.

Sounds like drag in the freehub. Should be videos to help you clean/repair this.

Old 07-03-21, 10:49 PM
ronopolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I'll start figuring out the freehub drag!
Old 07-04-21, 01:19 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
It sounds like you have to be careful when really hammering it. My chain/cassette is messed up too but I just got used to it and adjusted my pedal stroke accordingly
Old 07-04-21, 05:03 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Sounds like a Mavic freehub that needs cleaning/lubing.
That was my first thought. Inboard bearing a plastic bushing, what were they thinking.

You can verify this is the issue by the fact the cranks turn when you wheel the bike in a tall gear.

Last edited by Kimmo; 07-04-21 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 05:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Almost certainly going to be a draggy freehub. I get a similar thing happening on my direct drive turbo trainer if I sprint hard and then suddenly stop pedalling. Fortunately it doesn't happen on the road as the freehub on my wheel has much less drag.
Old 07-04-21, 09:14 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
It sounds like you have to be careful when really hammering it. My chain/cassette is messed up too but I just got used to it and adjusted my pedal stroke accordingly
That's just stupid. If it's not working correctly you fix it, not 'adjust your pedal stroke'.
Likes For cxwrench: