Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Black Ice | WEDGE ISSUE WARNING

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Black Ice | WEDGE ISSUE WARNING

Old 02-07-22, 11:35 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Minneapolis weather is not 'unique' OTOH there are a lot of factors that add up to something you aren't seeing in Denver (other many places).

So list out the unique things that have been brought up in this thread:
Minneapolis is colder than Denver
Minneapolis stays colder than Denver
Denver is more than 5° closer to the equator
Minneapolis' shortest day of the year is 8:46; Denver is 9:21
Denver is over 4,000 ft higher elevation
the 3 points above mean that the sun in Denver is strong and there is more hours of sun every day
Denver ground temperatures are warmer, the soil is barely been below freezing, Minneapolis soil temps are as cold as 18F this month and have been constantly below freezing temps for months.
Minneapolis (Twin Cities) area has a population 3.4 million; Denver-Aurora area is 2.8 million
All of this means that experiences in Denver's winters is not the same as Minneapolis. If you'd like to continue argue that sub-zero black ice isn't a thing, please find another city that combines the above statistics for Minneapolis, move there for a winter or two and report back. But let's be clear, on this topic, Denver is not comparable.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-07-22, 11:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Those are 65 terms used by the cool kids. Us regular folk certainly don’t go around calling snow “pow-pow”.
And yet those people that make a living or play in the snow have more than one term for snow ... I am sure you can understand the point.

Also, don't think it's only 'cool kids', I know too many old dorks that use terms like "pow-pow".
Old 02-07-22, 12:12 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Those are 65 terms used by the cool kids. Us regular folk certainly don’t go around calling snow “pow-pow”.
Afterthought follow up question: do you have different terms for the snow you shovel in Denver? Like heart attack snow (heavy wet snow) versus powder (light dry snow), or is the snow you shovel all called simply "snow"?
Old 02-08-22, 02:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...lish/black-ice

https://www.necn.com/news/national-i...orrow/2673178/
Old 02-08-22, 02:53 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I suspect, but have no proof or research to validate my suspicions, that there are fewer incidents of such ice forming now than when I moved to the Twin Cities 33 years ago. Possible reasons for this could include more SUVs and other vehicles with higher clearances and hence exhaust pipes farther from the roadway, plus the old passenger cars used to direct their exhaust downward whereas now the tailpipes are straight, etc.
I agree with you suspicions, I theorize modern engines and emission systems on cars/trucks create less water vapor (including hybrids, EVs, higher fuel economy, and auto start/stop engine systems). And that newer road chemicals are effective at colder temps, the high expense of these chemicals mean they are likely only used on high risk & heavy traffic locations.

All that said, as a person that bikes daily thru the Minneapolis winters, riding quieter streets, approaching a stop light is a high risk location for black ice and not likely to get the expensive ice melt. I look out for people driving that are not giving enough stopping distance.
Old 02-08-22, 08:56 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I suspect you’ll also find that a whole lot of other people who post in the Winter Forums commute as well.
Guilty! Coming up on 20 years of year-'round commuting in Chicago.
Old 02-09-22, 08:03 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by sweeks
Guilty! Coming up on 20 years of year-'round commuting in Chicago.
To be clear, this Toad is a long time bike commuter too ... year-round in Minneapolis ... and I have a big circle of supportive year-round bike commuters around here. (my post wasn't looking down on bike-commuting, it was IDing a specific BF user name without tagging them in my post)

Also, I've been a bike commuter in Chicago, hope to get back to visiting Chicago again in 2022! I love leaving my coworkers behind as they wait in massive lines for bus, taxi, or ride share ... I walk out the Divvy rack and I'm at the show or hotel long before them and I've enjoyed some fresh air along the Lakefront Trail!

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-09-22 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added pic
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-09-22, 09:00 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Also, I've been a bike commuter in Chicago, hope to get back to visiting Chicago again in 2022!
If you're anywhere near "Little Italy" (Taylor Street), send me a PM. I'm at UIC in the Health Sciences Center. We can get coffee or something and chat. :-)
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-09-22, 09:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by sweeks
If you're anywhere near "Little Italy" (Taylor Street), send me a PM. I'm at UIC in the Health Sciences Center. We can get coffee or something and chat. :-)
Nice, thank you!

We typically book Magnificent Mile hotels - those hotels are on the shuttle routes for McCormick. So it's a short Divvy ride to find you.
Old 02-09-22, 09:53 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
We typically book Magnificent Mile hotels - those hotels are on the shuttle routes for McCormick. So it's a short Divvy ride to find you.
I'll be at a show at McCormick Place in a couple weeks (CDS Mid-Winter Meeting). Luckily, I can get there from home by METRA and my folding bike. :-)
Likes For sweeks: