Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

ISM PR3.0 saddle

Old 02-24-22, 01:45 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
ISM PR3.0 saddle

I've had some perineum/taint issues (discomfort/slight aching) now over the last 1.5 years, on/off (i've been to a urologist, nothing is wrong). I finally took a big break, I stopped cycling last Sept til now. I was fitted 2 times in August and have tried several saddles. The last saddle the fitter gave me is this ISM PR3.0. I've now done 3 pretty light rides in the last week (after that 5month break). I still very very slightly feel that issue down there but it seems MUCH better. I'm trying to get used to sitting so far forward on this ISM saddle. Apparently you have to sit WAY forward on them, leaving the back of the saddle exposed, 3 fingers width. Just wanted some feedback here on this particular saddle and how you are sitting on them. I've also read about these Infinity saddles but know nothing about them and they are quite pricy.

Btw, I'm a mid aged fit guy who has been cycling (gravel bike) around 10 hours a week fairly consistently over the years.

Thx
Old 02-24-22, 04:20 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have been cycling for over 15 years, never had an real issues with saddles. Then a few years ago I started having issues and switched to an ISM PR 2.0. I now own 2 and will never go back. After the initial break in period, adjusting to new sitting position it's been a dream. I've even done a few multi day bike trips on it. It took me a while to set it up correctly and adjust to sitting so far forward on the saddle. Hopefully it'll work out for you.
Old 02-24-22, 06:49 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Chris!
I have been cycling for over 15 years, never had an real issues with saddles. Then a few years ago I started having issues and switched to an ISM PR 2.0. I now own 2 and will never go back. After the initial break in period, adjusting to new sitting position it's been a dream. I've even done a few multi day bike trips on it. It took me a while to set it up correctly and adjust to sitting so far forward on the saddle. Hopefully it'll work out for you.
What were your symptoms exactly? How long did it take to break in to the saddle? Thx
Old 02-24-22, 09:26 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I had discomfort and beginning saddle sores, some numbness. Took me about an hour to set up the seat correctly and a few weeks of short rides gradually building up time and distance
Old 02-24-22, 09:51 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
If the saddle has been setup correctly, you aren't actually sitting "way forward" on them, it just appears that way because they have no nose. Or another way to think about it is, imagine sitting on a normal saddle, but the nose has been chopped off - so it is as if you were sitting right at the very tip of it, but in actual fact you're just sitting in the regular spot.
Old 02-24-22, 10:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
The Infinity saddle, at least for me, was grossly uncomfortable since the cutout is so large, most of my weight was concentrated on my icheal tuberosities (sit bones). I could only stand about 40 minutes on it.

Also have the ISM saddle as well, since I too have issues with pernial pressure issues causing urinary urgency. The ISM saddle was far more comfortable than the Infinity but did not solve my issue. I did find some relief with a Selle Italia saddle with a large cutout. SLR Boost.

Good luck

Old 02-25-22, 09:10 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Apparently you have to sit WAY forward on them, leaving the back of the saddle exposed, 3 fingers width. Just wanted some feedback here on this particular saddle and how you are sitting on them
I have my sitbones on the widest part.

I used to sit way forward on the ISM saddle for few months but never worked out (gave me pain the pubic rami) so I ended up sitting on the widest part and has been trouble-free since.

I've tried quite a few saddle designs for some time looking for the best saddle for me but always came back to ISM.
Old 02-25-22, 10:33 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I have my sitbones on the widest part.

I used to sit way forward on the ISM saddle for few months but never worked out (gave me pain the pubic rami) so I ended up sitting on the widest part and has been trouble-free since.

I've tried quite a few saddle designs for some time looking for the best saddle for me but always came back to ISM.

Yah, I guess i need to play around exactly where to sit. Just did my 4th ride now with this ISM saddle after my 5 month break and feels pretty good. Did a fairly simple 2 hour ride and kinda barely feel something down there but not bad at all. Maybe just takes some adjusting? Time? Thx for the input..
Old 02-25-22, 10:34 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by rsbob
The Infinity saddle, at least for me, was grossly uncomfortable since the cutout is so large, most of my weight was concentrated on my icheal tuberosities (sit bones). I could only stand about 40 minutes on it.

Also have the ISM saddle as well, since I too have issues with pernial pressure issues causing urinary urgency. The ISM saddle was far more comfortable than the Infinity but did not solve my issue. I did find some relief with a Selle Italia saddle with a large cutout. SLR Boost.

Good luck

Hmm. i'll have to check out this Selle Italia SLR Boost.. so far the ISM is working 'ok'..i think. gonna give it some more rides.
Old 02-25-22, 05:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Have you looked at the ISM's documentation on their website?

How do you bend over to reach your handlebars? Do you flex your hips, or do you bend your lower back forward?
Old 02-26-22, 12:55 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by philbob57

How do you bend over to reach your handlebars? Do you flex your hips, or do you bend your lower back forward?
Yah, I even called them in Florida. Spoke to a nice helpful guy. my hip flexibility is pretty damn weak, i need to work on more exercises for that area outside of cycling, for sure.
Old 02-26-22, 09:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts

flexing at the hips is the only way to go if you want to save your back. You will need to start working your core. Google, bicycle core exercises.

Old 02-27-22, 07:10 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Actually, the ISM PR3.0 is also meant for upright riding, read here:

https://ismseat.com/performance-recreation/pr-3-0/

You're probably meant to sit close to the widest part of that saddle.
Old 02-27-22, 07:18 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Yah, I even called them in Florida. Spoke to a nice helpful guy. my hip flexibility is pretty damn weak, i need to work on more exercises for that area outside of cycling, for sure.
I read the PR 3.0 features on the ISM site. It mentioned being designed for upright riding position. https://ismseat.com/performance-recreation/pr-3-0/

For upright position, you definitely are supposed to sit on the widest part or just a bit in front of the widest part. Even if you're not sitting upright, the wide part of PR3 is still going to be the most comfortable position of that saddle. Your fitter probably don't know you can also sit on the wide portion of the PR 3.0

If you have trouble reaching the handlebar (over-reaching) when sat further back on the saddle. Move the saddle forward on the rails.

Another tip for ISM saddles if you would sit on the widest part is to zip-tie the rail at the nose. I did this mod too and helped solve thigh rubbing for me if you're having such issues with ISM saddle.

How to zip-tie ISM saddle, go to 7:37 of this video: (You can also watch the rest of this video, you'll see most of the clip showing the riders using ISM saddle, Ignore the fact the video is meant for female audience, ISM saddle is unisex)

Last edited by qwaalodge; 02-27-22 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-27-22, 07:35 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
With dropped bars (like the OP's Trek Checkpoint), almost everybody will have to bend some to reach the bars. ISM's testing assumes a 60 degree bend from vertical.