Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Epic dump find... now what do I do with it?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-22-22, 12:37 PM
Velogoth

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I was looking to snag a pair of v-brakes off of a bike at the dump for a project... and then I realized what the brakes I was looking at were attached to. This is a 1997 1998 Cannondale F2000 CAAD3. The dump attendant said someone had just dropped it off because they "hadn't ridden it in 10 years".

It's the right size for me, and there's nothing wrong with it other than normal wear & tear for its age BUT:
1. I'm not really a mountain biker.
2. At 280lbs I think I'm too heavy for it. This is a light frame, and I've read that the headshoks aren't a good fit for heavy riders.

So, do I sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for? Should I have the headshok serviced before selling?
Do I part it out on ebay?
Am I too heavy for it? Do I keep it for singletrack/occasional rides with friends?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Velogoth; 03-24-22 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Corrected year - thanks DMC707
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-22-22, 12:40 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
You could probably make $100 from it.

I would have left it at the dump.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-22-22, 02:02 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Those brake levers are worth around $60 alone. The shifters are about the same if working.

In my market, tuned up, it would sell complete for at least $300. You should get more by parting it out, but that takes more time.

Nice score.
Likes For katsup:
Old 03-22-22, 02:41 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
There are quite a few of us that are suffering from skimpy parts bins... Good Find!
Old 03-22-22, 06:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Velogoth
I was looking to snag a pair of v-brakes off of a bike at the dump for a project... and then I realized what the brakes I was looking at were attached to. This is a 1997 Cannondale F2000 CAAD3. The dump attendant said someone had just dropped it off because they "hadn't ridden it in 10 years".

It's the right size for me, and there's nothing wrong with it other than normal wear & tear for its age BUT:
2. At 280lbs I think I'm too heavy for it. This is a light frame, and I've read that the headshoks aren't a good fit for heavy riders.
So, do I sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for? Should I have the headshok serviced before selling?
Am I too heavy for it? Do I keep it for singletrack/occasional rides with friends?
Thanks in advance!
Cherry! I'd dust it off, lube the drivetrain. check the brakes, adjust the saddle, and ride the snot out of it !
280 lbs? No Problemo! This is the perfect Heavy Gravel/Light XC Trail bike. There's nothing you could do to break that frame.
The Headshok is the perfect low travel suspension fork for gravel roads/mostly smooth forest roads.
With racks would also make a fine tourer for 'come-all-conditions'.
at 280, I might consider having the wheels/spokes checked by a wheel guy, for balanced tension.
Tires might be a little old/hard, but then you could get some great, less knobby gravel tires, wide (42+, maybe 48). A lot of good 26 gravel worthy tires out there for around $50/pr.
You'll be pleasantly surprised by how quick that bike would be with nice tires.
There are a lot of riders jones-in for something like this to convert to dirt road use.
Yeah flat bar and old school drivetrain - but you can;t expect everything, and this stuff is bulletproof and will work well for more years than you'll care to keep it.
If you don;t already have something like this, the hand of god just dropped this in your lap.
pump up the tires, get aboard for a ride around the neighborhood, and see what you think...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-23-22, 07:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Nice find! How much it is worth as a whole bike will be heavily based on the condition of the headshock.

Those parts would be welcome in many peoples’ parts bins for project builds. Those are great brake levers.

You may have a hard time setting that shock up for your weight, but it should be easy enough to find out.
Old 03-23-22, 09:18 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by prj71
Haha! Fair enough. One person's treasure is another person's trash.

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Cherry! I'd dust it off, lube the drivetrain. check the brakes, adjust the saddle, and ride the snot out of it !
280 lbs? No Problemo! This is the perfect Heavy Gravel/Light XC Trail bike. There's nothing you could do to break that frame.
The Headshok is the perfect low travel suspension fork for gravel roads/mostly smooth forest roads.
With racks would also make a fine tourer for 'come-all-conditions'.
at 280, I might consider having the wheels/spokes checked by a wheel guy, for balanced tension.
Tires might be a little old/hard, but then you could get some great, less knobby gravel tires, wide (42+, maybe 48). A lot of good 26 gravel worthy tires out there for around $50/pr.
You'll be pleasantly surprised by how quick that bike would be with nice tires.
There are a lot of riders jones-in for something like this to convert to dirt road use.
Yeah flat bar and old school drivetrain - but you can;t expect everything, and this stuff is bulletproof and will work well for more years than you'll care to keep it.
If you don;t already have something like this, the hand of god just dropped this in your lap.
pump up the tires, get aboard for a ride around the neighborhood, and see what you think...
Ride On
Yuri
Thanks Yuri! I think I'll try this approach. If I were to buy a mountain bike this is EXACTLY what I would be looking for. Since the hand of god dropped it in my lap, I'd be a fool to let it go to waste.

It's funny, when I was 16 I bought my very first bike with my own money. I read the year 2000 Trek and Giant catalogs over and over again, knowing I only had enough money for the lowest of the low end. I bought a Trek 820 for $300. Having this bike then would have been a dream come true.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-23-22, 09:23 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Nice find! How much it is worth as a whole bike will be heavily based on the condition of the headshock.

Those parts would be welcome in many peoples’ parts bins for project builds. Those are great brake levers.

You may have a hard time setting that shock up for your weight, but it should be easy enough to find out.
Thanks Kapusta, I did have to pump the shock up quite high to get it to a reasonable stiffness, so I'll be watching to see if there are signs of seal failure.

I'm thinking about having the shock serviced anyway, there's a guy in upstate NY who does them for about $85 plus shipping & parts. Maybe he can put in a beefier return spring or something.
Old 03-23-22, 10:01 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Haha! Fair enough. One person's treasure is another person's trash.
Thanks Yuri! I think I'll try this approach. If I were to buy a mountain bike this is EXACTLY what I would be looking for. Since the hand of god dropped it in my lap, I'd be a fool to let it go to waste.
It's funny, when I was 16 I bought my very first bike with my own money. I read the year 2000 Trek and Giant catalogs over and over again, knowing I only had enough money for the lowest of the low end. I bought a Trek 820 for $300. Having this bike then would have been a dream come true.
Hope it turns into a 'keeper' for you.
Certainly worth a try... And, right now, riders are spending for 'bikes' which can ride varied surfaces nicely - the latest Big Thing ! 'Gravel Biking' . Riders with old school bikes have been doin this for years. Having the 'Head Shok' is a serious plus for varied surface riding!

I recently decided to do much less 'road' riding and do more mtb and varied surface riding - to reduce my exposure time in motor traffic...
I 'updated' a couple old school mtb bikes to get more 'modern' riding (and more comfortable) traits. Like more upright position (less of the old XC racing 'forward and down' lean) and larger front wheel to aid better roll-over for easy off-road riding.
For more comfort and better handling:
I changed the long, low stem and and narrow, straight/flat bars, to a 60mm stem with more up angle and 720mm 1" riser bar with 9 deg back sweep.
HUGE improvement in comfort and control - simple swap of controls (same as what you have on the C-dale) !!!
Then step 2 was to swap out the 26" front wheel for a 27.5" wheel. Went to my LBS, and we tried a Quick Release 27.5 wheel in the current fork - if you have 1" of space at the fork crown with the current 26" (to the top of the tire), then the C-dale might also fit a 27.5 wheel, without any mods... Since the Headshok is independent of wheel size, no problems there at all.
The larger front wheel has WAY better 'rollover' on rocks, roots, curbs, any obstruction in the riding path. AND it rolls faster ! Steering is improved ! All win situation/change.
The LBS got me a "Quality Wheels built - 27.5 shimano hub, WTB i23 rim wheel - available in either disc and rim brake, for $99 ! great wheel ! Spec has a nice 27.5 x2.0 Tire for $25.
Here's a pic of my '04 Specialized Epic, with Quality Wheels 27.5" front wheel - but before adding the new stem and bars - need to take a pic with the new cockpit...

Ride to Sunbird Quicksilver mine on 04 Epic Mullet (27.5 x 26)

Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 03-23-22, 10:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
IMO, great find and a bike to clean up and ride. I agree with those who said to have the shock checked. There was a thread about an individual who rebuilds old shocks, but I can't remember it; maybe someone else can post.
Old 03-23-22, 10:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Thanks Kapusta, I did have to pump the shock up quite high to get it to a reasonable stiffness, so I'll be watching to see if there are signs of seal failure.

I'm thinking about having the shock serviced anyway, there's a guy in upstate NY who does them for about $85 plus shipping & parts. Maybe he can put in a beefier return spring or something.
I would definitely do a rebuild if you plan to actually keep it. If you are looking to flip it, it is likely not worth it. On the other hand, considering the bike was free you would still get your money back, though.

Hard to say what it is worth. As a functional MTB, Its pretty weak by today's standards. For what most people actually use 90s era hardtail mtbs for these days, the shock may be of little value. OTOH, to someone who wants a sort-of-vintage bike in what looks to be fairly original period-appropriate dress, this could be worth more.

Personally, if it were me, I would likely get the shock rebuilt and see how enjoy riding it.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-23-22, 12:50 PM
Velogoth

I've heard good things about www.mendoncyclesmith.com/. That's who I was going to contact.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-23-22, 04:34 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Service it and make it your new Gravel Bike. Modest hills and long country roads are perfect for that bike
Likes For BrocLuno:
Old 03-23-22, 06:16 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I cant read the lettering but are those XT brakes?

i looked at the 1998 catalog and it states this color was available , but the '97 had Sachs shifters and not Shimano and was in a different colorway. Does it still have the XTR rear derailleuer ? That would be nice, but nice find regardless

1998.pdf (vintagecannondale.com)
Old 03-23-22, 06:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For a while you could find adapters that would let you run regular suspension forks in headshok frames. Even with tapered steerers. But there’s few enough 26er forks still available. Much less for QR and rim brake.
Old 03-23-22, 07:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
You could probably make $100 from it.

Left it at the dump...dude that is XT good stuff from back in the day Sure the headstock stuff is not worth it but it looks to be in good shape otherwise and likely good parts on it that aren't seen. I would certainly put that to use especially for free.
Old 03-24-22, 06:01 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by DMC707
I cant read the lettering but are those XT brakes?

i looked at the 1998 catalog and it states this color was available , but the '97 had Sachs shifters and not Shimano and was in a different colorway. Does it still have the XTR rear derailleuer ? That would be nice, but nice find regardless

1998.pdf (vintagecannondale.com)
Yes, the brakes are XT, and it does still have the XTR rear derailleur. It's all original as far as I can tell, it even still has the reflectors

Ooo good catch! You're right about the year. I had originally identified it from that catalog, but then forgot to write it down.
Old 03-24-22, 06:22 AM
Velogoth

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
For a while you could find adapters that would let you run regular suspension forks in headshok frames. Even with tapered steerers. But there’s few enough 26er forks still available. Much less for QR and rim brake.
I know nothing about mountain bike geometry, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I got an adapter headset and changed the fork out I wouldn't be limited to 26". Theoretically I could change to a 27.5 or even 29er front wheel kind of like cyclezen did above, right? I have no idea how that would affect handling, aside from the increased BB height.
Old 03-24-22, 06:44 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
I was looking to snag a pair of v-brakes off of a bike at the dump for a project... and then I realized what the brakes I was looking at were attached to. This is a 1997 1998 Cannondale F2000 CAAD3. The dump attendant said someone had just dropped it off because they "hadn't ridden it in 10 years".

Thanks in advance!
I recommend keeping as a off road rider.
I think it will support your weight.
Why dont people drop off such descent bikes to thrift shops so hopefully the needy will find more healthy transportation ?
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-24-22, 07:51 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Left it at the dump...dude that is XT good stuff from back in the day...
Yes..."Back in the day" when that's all that existed. Not so much compared to what he have now. Kind of like back in the day all the cars had drum brakes. Now we have disc brakes.

Maybe it was harsh of me to say leave it at the dump. I know I personally would have not brought that home nor do I ever go scavenging for stuff at the dump. But maybe if the OP doesn't ride it, it could be donated to a local neighborhood kid.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-24-22, 07:53 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by joesch
Why dont people drop off such descent bikes to thrift shops so hopefully the needy will find more healthy transportation ?
Because someone was cleaning out their garage and wanted to make one stop with everything else they planned to bring to the dump that day.
Old 03-24-22, 08:06 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Because someone was cleaning out their garage and wanted to make one stop with everything else they planned to bring to the dump that day.
Maybe but still probably passed several thrift shops on the way so a drop off would have been easy
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-24-22, 08:11 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by joesch
Maybe but still probably passed several thrift shops on the way so a drop off would have been easy
Well if I were to clean out my garage right now and make a dump run I would pass by exactly zero thrift shops. Not everyone lives in town. I live in the country out of town.
Old 03-24-22, 09:16 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
I know nothing about mountain bike geometry, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I got an adapter headset and changed the fork out I wouldn't be limited to 26". Theoretically I could change to a 27.5 or even 29er front wheel kind of like cyclezen did above, right? I have no idea how that would affect handling, aside from the increased BB height.
If the headshok system is working properly, or can be salvaged and serviced to do so , it would provide more joy than a frankenstein fork swap. I rode one of those bikes for a few months and actually liked it a lot compared to my rigid steel Paramount MTB.

Cannondale built that bike properly back in 1998 . It will still perform as good today as it did in 1998. It wont equal a new Cannondale in performance - evolution has taken place -- but it is a high end bike for its time and can support going anywhere any other hardtail could go
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-24-22, 10:02 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Put a little elbow grease in to it and ride it till the wheels fall off. That's an awesome find, hope you enjoy it.
Likes For Ubie:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.