Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Glasses in Rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 09:13 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
Glasses in Rain

It rains a lot where I am. So I ride in the rain quite often. In hard rain it is difficult to see with my prescription glasses.

Anybody have some good tricks for keeping glasses usable in the rain?

Mike
Old 07-30-22, 09:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Periodically wipe the lenses with your finger to get an even film of water, not droplets. (In cooler weather, consider wearing gloves that wipe well or that pull off easily so you can use your finger. Visors can help a lot in some rains for a while. In the daytime, Polaroid sunglasses often work well.

I've been battling this challenge for 55 year. Some rides are simply losers and I have to slow to safer speeds but I usually get the finger wipes close to right. Some rains require repeats often. I've thought about wipers many times but haven't put the inventor's cap on yet.
Old 07-30-22, 09:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
It rains a lot where I am. So I ride in the rain quite often. In hard rain it is difficult to see with my prescription glasses.

Anybody have some good tricks for keeping glasses usable in the rain?

Mike
This stuff works. The water beads and runs off the glass.

Rain-X Glass Water Repellant

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-30-22, 09:30 AM
IcySwan1 

79pmooney, thanks. You are right - some rides just are too much. I am particularly concerned because I ride in brown bear country and want to be able to see up the road a bit. I will have cataract surgery soon which will hopefully do away with the prescription glasses, but I still will need to wear protective glasses and deal with rain.

Terry, I will give RainX a try. I know it worked well on the pilot house windows of my commercial power troller but it never occurred to me to put it on my glasses. I think you are on to something.

Mike
Old 07-30-22, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I often just take my glasses off in the rain, but I guess that doesn't work too well if you need the corrective lenses.
Old 07-30-22, 09:37 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
I have a small thick pad of paper towel in my vest pocket that I pull out and run over the front of my glasses. It gets soaked fast, but it still improves visibility even soaked better than a finger most times. My gloves just don't do the trick. There is something that I use in my ski goggles for fogging up called 'Cat Crap'; but it doesn't help much with rain.

Last edited by SpedFast; 07-30-22 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 09:53 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I have a small thick pad of paper towel in my vest pocket that I pull out and run over the front of my glasses. It gets soaked fast, but it still improves visibility even soaked better than a finger most times. My gloves just don't do the trick. There is something that I use in my ski goggles for fogging up called 'Cat Piss'; but it doesn't help much with rain.
Don’t paper towels scratch the lenses? I use nothing but lense clothes on mine.

RainX is not recommended for use on plastic so repeated use may damage the lenses. Check your local optical shop for recommendations.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-30-22, 10:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Yes, paper products make glasses old fast. (You can dab off clean water with a paper towel but don't try to get the lens dry or wipe at all.)

The drawback to RainX is that if you do wipe it, it smears and makes your glasses opaque until you clean then with soap/detergent. At least that was my experience years ago. No something I ever want to repeat. That was mid-ride and the rest was one of the most blind rides I've ever done.
Old 07-30-22, 10:12 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
actual wipers exist that slide on over your finger or riding glove, but this is more of a mud-riding thing. In regular rain the smooth finger wipe, with or without an absorbent glove seems to work best for me as mentioned above.

Finger Visor Wiper on Amazon
Old 07-30-22, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I use to keep a large cotton handkerchief or bandana in my back pocket for blowing my nose and for cleaning my glasses. That was before I became a champion snot rocket blower. <grin>

I also agree that paper towels are among the worst things to clean lenses with. Cleaning lenses with paper towels, my safety glasses and sunglasses won't last two weeks before they are all scratched up. With cotton rags, they easily last a year maybe two before a arm or something falls off the glasses. Even the very cheapo glasses I wear for cycling.

Maybe narrower glasses with smaller lenses so they are less of a target for rain drops?
Old 07-30-22, 11:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I use to keep a large cotton handkerchief or bandana in my back pocket for blowing my nose and for cleaning my glasses.
If you got the order wrong, blow nose then clean glasses could be a real mess.

Old 07-30-22, 01:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Wear a brimmed cap under your helmet. It will act as an awning.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-30-22, 04:10 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Just don't put it on the inside of the lens. It tends to evaporate and irritate your eyes.
Old 07-30-22, 04:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Rain on the glasses no problem... Its the mud that gets me...
Old 07-30-22, 06:14 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Contacts?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 07-30-22, 06:32 PM
IcySwan1 

Pratt, contacts worked as a younger man, but not so much as I graduated (or devolved) to bifocals and then trifocals. I am scheduled to get single vision lens as part of cataract surgery in a month. I will need to use reading glasses, but I am fine with that, But I will still need glasses for riding, probably some sunglass variant. And those glasses will still have rain issues. I am a roadie, by the way.

I haven't picked up RainX yet, but will give it a try soon and will be mindful of the kind input herein.

Mike
Old 07-30-22, 06:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t paper towels scratch the lenses? I use nothing but lense clothes on mine.

RainX is not recommended for use on plastic so repeated use may damage the lenses. Check your local optical shop for recommendations.
All my prescription glasses are glass, not plastic. Yes, everything scratches plastic lenses.
Old 07-30-22, 06:49 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Originally Posted by greysquirrel
Just don't put it on the inside of the lens. It tends to evaporate and irritate your eyes.
I didn't know that could be a problem, thanks. I've used it on outside and inside of lenses, for foggy and wet rides in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Just spay a little solution on a cloth, then rub the lens with the cloth.

A couple of taps of the glasses on my thigh, and the water beads up and falls off the lenses.

Old 07-30-22, 08:46 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
+1 on the brimmed cap. Really helps me with the rain on glasses issue, too.
Likes For randallr:
Old 07-30-22, 09:10 PM
79pmooney

Contacts. I will never wear them for a reason that might be unique. In junior and high school I played ice hockey goalie. Wore glasses then so I had the funky cage. Funky but well padded. Very hard hits between the eyes didn't hurt at all. (My armor had a lot of *****s where successfully blocked shots hurt for days. But those cages worked. In fact, so well that now all the pros use them.)

But - if I blinked when that shot hit, I would have no idea where the rebound went. I might be 3 feet from where I needed to be to block the next shot. So ... I taught myself not to blink and it worked. I could watch the puck come in, hit the mask and be moving instantly to stop the next. Drawback? I still don't have a reliable blink reflex; certainly not one I would trust my vision to. Glasses have bailed me out many times.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-31-22, 05:46 AM
Pearson100

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
+1 for Cap with brim.
Be careful with RainX if your glasses have any coatings on it.
Old 07-31-22, 02:22 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Yes, and also keep the helmet low on your forehead so it is almost touching the glasses. That way, the upper portion of the glasses will be much more sheltered from the rain. This works whether you wear prescription glasses or just sunglasses. It greatly improves the ability to see.
Old 07-31-22, 02:26 PM
IcySwan1 

I will give the brim capped/ low helmet style tomorrow. Plenty of rain in the Tongass Forest temperate rainforest.

Mike
Old 07-31-22, 04:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
Pratt, contacts worked as a younger man, but not so much as I graduated (or devolved) to bifocals and then trifocals. I am scheduled to get single vision lens as part of cataract surgery in a month. I will need to use reading glasses, but I am fine with that, But I will still need glasses for riding, probably some sunglass variant. And those glasses will still have rain issues. I am a roadie, by the way.

I haven't picked up RainX yet, but will give it a try soon and will be mindful of the kind input herein.

Mike
I have often wanted t try Rain-X, but deferred since glasses are costly to deliberately experiment with. I wear progressives and had a set of non-progressive prescription sunglasses. They were great for riding and fishing, but I could not read my computer, wristwatch, phone, and definitely could not tie a fishing line with them. I used to use a visor under the helmet, but my new sized (vs universal sized) helmet has enough overhang that if keeps the pop-up shower in check. If it is heavier than a brief shower, I do not ride.

There used to be a liquid called Formula 303 that we used on kayaks and boat hulls that was a UV protectant, and it shed water and made the paddling easier. But I was not risk it on expensive non-glass-lensed glasses.
Old 07-31-22, 05:17 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
There’s a Rain-X for Plastic but I still wouldn’t use it on expensive glasses.

Last edited by bikehoco; 07-31-22 at 05:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.