Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your HOLDSWORTHS!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 06:25 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 662 Posts

I was bike crazy. I lived in Bremerton but the parents sent me to Seattle for a better (Catholic??) education.

I had 2.5 hours to mess around each day before I had to get on that horrible boat.

Anyway, I would visit bike shops, collect trading material, and peruse bike brochures and read old magazines. It was an awkward time. Japan had taken the lead on components. Aluminum was no longer a crazy fad and titanium was being blended so it wasn't just a light weight noodle.

On the Ferry rides, I was supposed to be doing my homework but instead I read vintage magazines and new bike brochures. That's when a man approached me and introduced himself as Ted, a stockbroker from EF Hutton. He said he had a bike but it was broken down into the smallest part. A Holdsworth, Reynold's 531 and a small dent in the seat tube. He said I could have it.

The first thing my parents said was, we need to meet this guy before you take a damn thing from him. Ted checked out. Used to be a racer, a domestique for Holdsworth. Said he was keeping his race set-up (orange + blue) but this bike was his thrasher/practice. Campy drivetrain, headset and pedals, the rest was a miss-mash of Universal Brakes, Sugino cranks, Cinelli stem and bars, Brooks saddle of course). Sew ups, never had a flat but wore several sets of tires out.

He even gave me boxes of vintage Jerseys (orange and blue) and moth eaten shorts.

Ted was disapproving of my Grab-On spongy grips I slipped on. What did I know about cotton cloth and whether to wrap from the inside out (Merckx) or bar-ends to in (Indurain).

I spent all winter polishing, lubing and rebuilding each component. Bought some proper cycling shoes (Adidas Merckx) and on its maiden voyage, joined my scout troop for a 50 mile ride.

Not used to toe clips, I rode in feeling like a million bucks with my jersey on and this beautiful stead. Came to a stop. Hadn't loosened the straps. Fell flat as somebody yelled "TIMBER"

Never have I forgotten to loosen toe straps again.

Years later, I was at U of Oregon, and saw this kid on campus with a campy t-shirt, shaved legs and a fixie he made from god-knows what scrap bike parts he found. He knew all the greats and the races they one and who supported them. He didn't come from money. I felt it was time to pass it on. Silver with red lettering.

Now I have the means and already own a stunning 73 DeRosa, but kinda wonder about my old HOLDWORTH. Maybe its because I just watched the new THOR movie where his old hammer was with someone else.

Anyway, 2 more posts and I can post pics, so until then, show us your HOLDSWORTHS!
Old 08-03-22, 06:51 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...orth-here.html
Old 08-03-22, 07:17 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Good story! And has been already noted, there's an extant thread!
I picked up a Holdsworth this past spring. No decals or anything, repainted (poorly) all black, and just a "the guy I got it from said it was a Holdsworth" from the FB seller, but the details all checked out as a '79 Professional. I've got it all stripped down, but the short (comfortable) riding season and other projects have put progress on getting it painted and re-assembled on hold for now.

Old 08-03-22, 08:29 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Here is what my '72 Holdsworth Professional looked like when purchased. This picture is from the seller's ad.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Good story! And has been already noted, there's an extant thread!
I picked up a Holdsworth this past spring. No decals or anything, repainted (poorly) all black, and just a "the guy I got it from said it was a Holdsworth" from the FB seller, but the details all checked out as a '79 Professional. I've got it all stripped down, but the short (comfortable) riding season and other projects have put progress on getting it painted and re-assembled on hold for now.