Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Track Bike - Argon18 Electron, Giant Omnium or Planet X

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Bike - Argon18 Electron, Giant Omnium or Planet X

Old 10-24-14, 07:28 AM
47p2

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I recently built a Giant Omnium up from a second hand frame I bought for not a lot of money. My initial plan was to swap parts with an old Fort track bike I have but the Omnium frame was so good I decided to spend a bit of cash and build something nice. The Omnium is more relaxed and feels more road orientated than I was expecting but is an enjoyable track bike worth considering

My Ridley Oval on the other hand is definitely an out and out stiff nicely balanced track orientated track bike, perfect for racing
Old 10-24-14, 07:55 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far are you from London? There's likely a pretty healthy used market there, might be worth some emails and a drive.
Old 10-24-14, 08:33 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
London has had one of the 3 indoor track in North America for the past decade, there is already a track culture in Ontario.

Best time to buy a track bike will be next year, when (no offense) all the people that are so excited for the new track buy one, take a few classes, then never come back to the track. There are PLENTY of bikes hanging at FCV that I haven't seen move in years.

That said, I currently recommend with the Omnium or the Electron to these people as I think they are a great buy for the ~1200 range, so they are good picks. Everything else (dolan, planetx, etc) are going to be hard to source.
Old 10-24-14, 10:04 AM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure your local track isn't going to include rentals in the cost of the certification courses? That seems like a good way to keep interest down! I thought most tracks include rentals in the certification courses.

I was in your situation very recently:
Argon 18 Electron - looks a nicer in person than it does online, the welds are very well finished, it looks like its well put together (IMO)
Planet X Pro Carbon - looks nicer online than in person (IMO)

I bought the Planet X frameset to build up, to be determined how much of a 'noodle' it is

Also, you might be able to find good used track bikes locally, if you expand your definition of local to include Toronto.
Old 10-24-14, 10:26 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't matter what bike you get. Just get one of those aerodynamic helmets and some sausage casing spandex, and you'll be good to go.

That is my professional opinion.

Yer welcome.
Old 10-24-14, 11:02 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, only the certification courses include the rentals. The other courses don't.

And no, I haven't checked London market yet, will certainly look into it.
Old 10-24-14, 10:21 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer
I bought the Planet X frameset to build up, to be determined how much of a 'noodle' it is
I have one built up for Pursuit duty. To save taking two bikes to Championships plus swapping the cranks to my other track bike I have raced Enduro events on the Planet X and had no concerns about noodles...
Old 12-17-14, 09:35 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer
Planet X Pro Carbon - looks nicer online than in person (IMO)

Any updates on the PlanetX built yet? I'd like to hear more on that.

Also a few others caught my attention:

Pinarello XTrack ±$2400 (Pinarello X-Track 2014 Frameset | Bikes & Frames)

Marinoni Pista Crono ±$1600 (Marinoni Pista Crono - Woodcock Cycle Works 204-253-5896 Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Marinoni P-Star ±$2200 (Marinoni P-Star - Woodcock Cycle Works 204-253-5896 Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Masi Cortello ±$700 for frameset only (Masi Coltello Frameset 2013 - Carbon Connection)

Any thoughts on the above, as compared to the Felt TK2, Fuji Track Pro, Argon Electron, and Giant Omnium? I know I'm just starting, but at the same time I am thinking of the what-ifs. What if I like how it goes, and will end up having to sell my bike to upgrade in the future? With a bike-better-than-me scenario, I'll be less likely blame my bike for my poor performance too. LOL.

I have a Dogma for road right now. So I'm also tempted to go for Pina XTrack, just for the sake of being able to wear my Pina branded jerseys that I've invested in. LOL
Plus it seems to have some good wheelsets and components.
Old 12-17-14, 10:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by myth001

Also a few others caught my attention:

Pinarello XTrack ±$2400 (Pinarello X-Track 2014 Frameset | Bikes & Frames)

Marinoni Pista Crono ±$1600 (Marinoni Pista Crono - Woodcock Cycle Works 204-253-5896 Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Marinoni P-Star ±$2200 (Marinoni P-Star - Woodcock Cycle Works 204-253-5896 Winnipeg, Manitoba)

Masi Cortello ±$700 for frameset only (Masi Coltello Frameset 2013 - Carbon Connection)

Any thoughts on the above, as compared to the Felt TK2, Fuji Track Pro, Argon Electron, and Giant Omnium? I know I'm just starting, but at the same time I am thinking of the what-ifs. What if I like how it goes, and will end up having to sell my bike to upgrade in the future? With a bike-better-than-me scenario, I'll be less likely blame my bike for my poor performance too. LOL.

I have a Dogma for road right now. So I'm also tempted to go for Pina XTrack, just for the sake of being able to wear my Pina branded jerseys that I've invested in. LOL
Plus it seems to have some good wheelsets and components.
Dude, you just asked us to compare 4 bikes to 4 other bikes :-| Nope.

Some general thoughts:

- Carbon isn't necessarily better than Aluminum...especially on the track. You aren't climbing hills, so creating a super-light bike isn't a priority.
- Unless you are very strong, any frame will do. Just make sure that the geometry is good. All of the above bikes seem to have a decent geometry (not sure about the Argon from memory.)
- A super fancy (read: expensive) frame probably provides the highest cost/benefit ratio. Meaning, of all of equipment choices you will make, the frame will matter the least in terms of how fast you'll be (or not).
- Spend your money on a track season pass and go there as often as possible to train, race, volunteer, or watch. That is guaranteed to make you fast.
- Join a track team/club. You'll learn a lot from your veteran teammates...and you'll ditch those Pina jerseys

Last edited by carleton; 12-17-14 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 11:02 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, you don't have to compare all 4 against 4, just point any particular pros/cons of any of them that stands out in your mind.
I can read/check the specs and features, but certain things like the fit, durability, compactness, stiffness, creaking (maintenance), problem with custom-parts aren't possible to read on their product pages. Those things only come from experience (or knowledge of/from an acquaintance).

And ditching the Pina jerseys... *eeks*. Can't do that, spent too much into them already. LOL.
Love my Dogma on the road, and understand that the carbon doesn't have enough advantage on the track. I'd better spend more on better wheels than a frame, right?

I've already registered for instructional courses in the Velo, and plan to spend a whole deal of time in the Velo. And volunteering is also on the mind, since the Velo is only a 5 minute bike-ride away from home.
Once the Velo opens, I'll also see what clubs form around it.

I'm just trying to narrow down my choices a bit, but the final decision comes after a month or so of riding (starting January).
Old 12-17-14, 11:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

LOL, you don't have to compare all 4 against 4, just point any particular pros/cons of any of them that stands out in your mind.
I can read/check the specs and features, but certain things like the fit, durability, compactness, stiffness, creaking (maintenance), problem with custom-parts aren't possible to read on their product pages. Those things only come from experience (or knowledge of/from an acquaintance).

And ditching the Pina jerseys... *eeks*. Can't do that, spent too much into them already. LOL.
Love my Dogma on the road, and understand that the carbon doesn't have enough advantage on the track. I'd better spend more on better wheels than a frame, right?

I've already registered for instructional courses in the Velo, and plan to spend a whole deal of time in the Velo. And volunteering is also on the mind, since the Velo is only a 5 minute bike-ride away from home.

I'm just trying to narrow down my choices a bit, but the final decision comes after a month or so of riding (starting January).
All of those frames listed above will be fine. Stay away from Aero seatposts as they may slip (this goes for road bikes, too).
Old 12-17-14, 11:41 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're overthinking it.
Old 12-17-14, 12:55 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha yes. Seriously just buy whatever your favourite bike shop carries for brands. The Giant and Argon are going to be the 2 most common bikes at the track, I know this because they are the 2 most common bikes at London already. Specialized, Fuji and Felt TK3 make up the rest.

They are all the bloody same. Aluminum frame, box wheels, road bars. Really doesn't matter which one you buy, its the cheapest bike you will own and it will last the longest.
Old 12-17-14, 09:56 PM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with what's been said before. Plus:
- The best bike is the one that fits you (so if you can test ride or test fit any of the bikes you are considering)
- What if you don't end up liking track? How will you feel about spending more on a bike for a sport you don't enjoy?

If you're just starting out, I would get a cheap, decent track bike that fits and that you want to ride. Then you'll have money left over for gearing, tweaking your fit, and "performance oriented upgrades" (which you don't need until you're competitively racing and losing by tenths of seconds).

Most people that ride at the track (at least at my track) won't ever be in a "the bike is holding me back" situation (myself included!).

Also, the Planet X isn't a noodle, but I'm not putting 2000+ watts into it
Old 03-18-15, 07:05 PM
Superd222

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, what did you decide on?
Old 03-19-15, 06:54 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. None of the above.

I liked Argon, but as all the rental bikes in my Velo were Argons, I didn't want to blend in.

So, I chose Jamis Sonik (JAMIS BICYCLES).

The handlebar was massive for my size, so I removed it rightaway. I had a spare Most Talon intergrated bar for my road bike. Am using that for now, and love it.

My a$$ is used to the Prologo Zero, and I had a spare one. So, I swapped that too.

Also, I read some reviews on the crankset that was included, so I swapped that with a Miche (didn't research enough at the time, otherwise would've gone for Sugino, LOL).

The frame fits great for me right now. I'm totally comfortable on it. The possible future upgrades I can think of are better wheels, and a Sugino chainring. Again, for now, that's not a must.

I didn't go full-carbon for my first track frame, as I've heard of the little falls for a newbie like me that can damage the frame. I don't repent that decision. I'll ride this for a year or two, and then decide on how my upgrade-itch is faring.
Old 03-19-15, 11:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

I'll ride this for a year or two, and then decide on how my upgrade-itch is faring.
You know that you are a real trackie when you change frames every year or two
Old 03-19-15, 11:24 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
You know that you are a real trackie when you change frames every year or two
I'd love to if my accountant, ahem, my wife, would let me...

So, when you change your frame every year or two, do you keep your old one, or sells it to recoup some of the costs???
Old 03-19-15, 11:35 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I didn't go full-carbon for my first track frame, as I've heard of the little falls for a newbie like me that can damage the frame. I don't repent that decision. I'll ride this for a year or two, and then decide on how my upgrade-itch is faring.
Right decision, wrong reason.

Matthew Glaetzer is, in all likelihood, still using the frame he was riding in this keirin. Carbon track bikes aren't fragile. They're overbuilt. Most of them are heavier than many aluminum frames. On the track, carbon is for making an extremely stiff bike that is also aerodynamically sculpted.

Old 03-19-15, 12:25 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, when you change your frame every year or two, do you keep your old one, or sells it to recoup some of the costs???
i don't sell bike gear- I just buy it
Old 03-19-15, 01:49 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just going to point out carbon frames are much easier to repair than aluminum, and may actually be harder to damage in the first place, depending on design.
Old 03-19-15, 03:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'd love to if my accountant, ahem, my wife, would let me...

I sold my 1st Tiemeyer (2009) to a buddy of mine who is holding on to it for dear life. I used to be very stiff and I'd ride in a really upright position. As I became more flexible, I'd lay down more and I needed a longer top tubed. I used that money to buy my 2011 Tiemeyer which has a longer top tube and taller head tube.

I've kept my most recent Tiemeyer while I bought and sold a Dolan DF3 and LOOK 496. I have a steel frame being built now, but I'll likely keep the Tiemeyer even if the new frame is awesome being that the Tiemeyer is now a collector's item since Mr. Tiemeyer has retired.

This current Tiemeyer is the one to which all other bikes are compared
Old 03-23-15, 09:16 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
LOL. None of the above.

I liked Argon, but as all the rental bikes in my Velo were Argons, I didn't want to blend in.

So, I chose Jamis Sonik (JAMIS BICYCLES).

The handlebar was massive for my size, so I removed it rightaway. I had a spare Most Talon intergrated bar for my road bike. Am using that for now, and love it.

My a$$ is used to the Prologo Zero, and I had a spare one. So, I swapped that too.

Also, I read some reviews on the crankset that was included, so I swapped that with a Miche (didn't research enough at the time, otherwise would've gone for Sugino, LOL).

The frame fits great for me right now. I'm totally comfortable on it. The possible future upgrades I can think of are better wheels, and a Sugino chainring. Again, for now, that's not a must.

Just wondering if you are experiencing any creaking near the bottom bracket? I have an '09 Sonik and mine creaks a little. Bike has been torn down all the way to the BB being removed and inspected.
Old 03-23-15, 09:41 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Just wondering if you are experiencing any creaking near the bottom bracket? I have an '09 Sonik and mine creaks a little. Bike has been torn down all the way to the BB being removed and inspected.
Nothing that I noticed so far. I changed my BB and crankset to Miche right away. But you mentioned that you also also removed BB and inspected it.

The only creaking I've noticed is the one coming from the front somewhere (haven't pinpointed it yet). It could be my Most Talon handlebar, or the fork, or the wheel. I've noticed it a few times when I'm thumping hard, but hasn't bothered me much.

Now that you've brought it up, I'll pay a bit more tension and see if there's anything noticeable.

So far I've only seen 2 more Soniks in the Velo here, one's the same model as mine, while one's an older one when the color schemes and cranksets used to be nicer. I'll talk to them if I get a chance.
Old 03-23-15, 10:01 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have a Cervelo aluminum frame road bike - when I first rode it I had a creak that I though was my bottom bracket - turns out it was the seat post rubbing inside the seat tube. I learned to grease the seat post every year and the creak disappeared (although an aero seat post it has never slipped in several years).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.