Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cadence for large cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cadence for large cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 02:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
There are a lot of wild numbers being thrown around, but let’s be clear about one thing: 180rpm would be very high in any track racing event.

It’s not only very hard to maintain that kind of leg speed for more than a few seconds, it’s almost certainly also well past the max power peak for even the best track racer of all-time pushing a modern 60x12 setup.

If we’re being honest and frank— and correct me if I’m wrong— saying sustained track cadences are in the 120rpm and peaks in the 140rpm range are more sensible and meaningful than statements like “180rpm isn’t even that high for track sprinters.”
track sprinters use motor drafting for high speed/ high cadence drills. They don't get up to speed by themselves

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 12-10-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 03:02 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Old 12-10-21, 03:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Badger6
I couldn’t get the image of Larry/Gabe without a shirt flailing at the cranks out of my head…then it occurred to me what probably happened. Go ahead and cue up your denial…but, you were licking up speed (because gravity does that, ask me how I know), and you essentially spun out, but being Larry, you chased the drivetrain. You weren’t actually applying any power since the hub was spinning faster than you could get the free hub to go (because there’s no way you were actually (pedaling at 172 RPM), so without any sort of resistance, you were just an uncoordinated blob of meat and bone at that point. No wonder you hurt yourself. Don’t do that. Just coast and ride it out.
... I know what spinning out feels like. I was trying not to coast because the whole point of the exercise was to increase my maximum comfortable cadence. I spun too fast too soon that day, but the idea was sound and it worked. I saw a guy a couple weeks ago riding fixed on that ride, it's a classic off season training technique.
Old 12-10-21, 07:06 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Do you feel muscle resistance at that RPM? Like you are lifting weights kind of thing. Or just spinning. I noticed I am putting out most power if I make it just tall enough to feel some muscle resistance, but then back off 1 gear, so I am still spinning right at that edge.
Old 12-10-21, 11:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
uncoordinated blob of meat and bone
Pity that's too long for a user title...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-11-21, 01:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Pity that's too long for a user title...
I know. Because it perfectly describes me—when I am running, which is really odd considering that as a paratrooper, I ran a lot (and pretty fast) in my youth.
Old 12-11-21, 01:59 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
... it's a classic off season training technique.
You aren’t wrong in the statement, but you are clearly not doing it right at 170+ RPM on a road, going down hill, on a gear that is clearly spun all the way out, while on a group ride. C’mon Larry/Gabe, you can’t be as obtuse as you pretend on here.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-11-21, 02:10 AM
LarrySellerz

You aren’t wrong in the statement, but you are clearly not doing it right at 170+ RPM on a road, going down hill, on a gear that is clearly spun all the way out, while on a group ride. C’mon Larry/Gabe, you can’t be as obtuse as you pretend on here.
my group ride crashed themselves out on friday (4-5 couldn't get back on their bikes ) and are pissed about dangerous riders, so im gonna be chill on the back for a while just in case they try to discriminate against me. The training was worthwhile, I can hold a cadence 25% faster than I could before I tried single speed training. I agree that I bit too much too soon, but 180 RPM is obtainable for those who want to train for it.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 12-11-21 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 02:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

... in case they try to discriminate against me...180 RPM is obtainable for those who want to train for it.
Two separate statements here:

#1: You can fix that, humans by nature are tribal (lots of sociological evidence to this). Insisting on being an outsider (refusing to wear a jersey, or proper bike kit is very effective at marking you as such) is not a good way to gain acceptance (again, I am assuming that is what you want). If you don’t seek acceptance by the group, accept that you will be a target for discrimination.
#2: The use of 180RPM spinning for 5-10 seconds is a niche capability that only a very specific set of riders use. Road racers, sprinting the last 200m of a stage of the TdF, Giro, or Vuelta are generally no higher than 140 RPM when spinning up, then as they shift into higher gears their RPMs drop off a bit to 110-120 (again, in general). I cannot see the use of training for something that has NO applicability to your riding, unless you're dreaming of being a track star. Again, you do you.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-11-21, 03:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
my group ride crashed themselves out on friday (4-5 couldn't get back on their bikes ) and are pissed about dangerous riders, so im gonna be chill on the back for a while just in case they try to discriminate against me. The training was worthwhile, I can hold a cadence 25% faster than I could before I tried single speed training. I agree that I bit too much too soon, but 180 RPM is obtainable for those who want to train for it.
It's clear from previous descriptions of the lawless behavior of those riders in this and other threads that everyone who participates in that ride is a dangerous rider. Here's hoping that the authorities eventually figure out a way to ticket or fine it into oblivion, since the participants will never ride responsibly otherwise.
Old 12-11-21, 04:36 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I still don't understand what's the point of spinning like a crazed hamster on meth on a road bike where you have, you know, gears 🤔
Likes For Branko D:
Old 12-11-21, 08:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
my group ride crashed themselves out on friday (4-5 couldn't get back on their bikes ) and are pissed about dangerous riders, so im gonna be chill on the back for a while just in case they try to discriminate against me.
Your group Larry? You think? Every time you post a new story I'm amazed by how tolerant those guys are.
Old 12-11-21, 11:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,294 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Your group Larry? You think? Every time you post a new story I'm amazed by how tolerant those guys are.
I heard the sheriff was going to shut down the ride, until someone told him it was Larry's ride.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-11-21, 06:50 PM
LarrySellerz

Two separate statements here:

#1: You can fix that, humans by nature are tribal (lots of sociological evidence to this). Insisting on being an outsider (refusing to wear a jersey, or proper bike kit is very effective at marking you as such) is not a good way to gain acceptance (again, I am assuming that is what you want). If you don’t seek acceptance by the group, accept that you will be a target for discrimination.
#2: The use of 180RPM spinning for 5-10 seconds is a niche capability that only a very specific set of riders use. Road racers, sprinting the last 200m of a stage of the TdF, Giro, or Vuelta are generally no higher than 140 RPM when spinning up, then as they shift into higher gears their RPMs drop off a bit to 110-120 (again, in general). I cannot see the use of training for something that has NO applicability to your riding, unless you're dreaming of being a track star. Again, you do you.
before I ran into this ride I was training to be a fixie monster and race alleycats on a track bike, and since the nearest alleycats are in the very hilly SF I'd need a low gear and high cadence to be competitive.
Old 12-11-21, 07:40 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
before I ran into this ride I was training to be a fixie monster and race alleycats on a track bike, and since the nearest alleycats are in the very hilly SF I'd need a low gear and high cadence to be competitive.
There is no way you can race against geared bikes up and down steep (>10%) grades.
Old 12-11-21, 08:28 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
There is no way you can race against geared bikes up and down steep (>10%) grades.
Don't buy into it
Old 12-11-21, 09:23 PM
LarrySellerz

I wouldn't be, alleycats are traditionally done on brakeless track bikes. If geared bikes are allowed they have their own category. Heres a vid from one of the more prestigious alleycats
Old 12-11-21, 09:55 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
That vid looked quite flat
A test of braveness/stupidity as much as anything else.
Old 12-11-21, 11:31 PM
LarrySellerz

That vid looked quite flat
A test of braveness/stupidity as much as anything else.
Its a test of who is the fastest messenger.
Old 12-12-21, 02:58 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Its a test of who is the fastest messenger.
As Dean V said, “A test of braveness/stupidity as much as anything else.”

The two aren’t mutually exclusive...
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-12-21, 03:01 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Focus on this:

I cannot see the use of training for something that has NO applicability to your riding, unless you're dreaming of being a track star. Again, you do you.
I was mistaken in the assumption that you were aiming for the track based on your fixation (no pun intended) on your estimated 180RPM spins. My apology. However, unsanctioned fixie racing still has no applicability to somewhat organized group road riding. Wrong venue to train for it.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-12-21, 06:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Alley Cat/Fixie/Bike Messenger faded away about 10 years ago. It's all gravel now, bro.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-12-21, 07:15 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The OP's nickname from this day forward should be Quicksilver. To do it right, he must ride flat pedals without any foot retention. That way, he can be footloose and dance around on the pedals while climbing the hills.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-12-21, 07:40 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Well, in that case, what you're doing is actually sensibly aligned with your goals.

​​​​​

​​​​​
Likes For Branko D:
Old 12-12-21, 07:53 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The OP's nickname from this day forward should be Quicksilver. To do it right, he must ride flat pedals without any foot retention. That way, he can be footloose and dance around on the pedals while climbing the hills.
Then we could all play Six Degrees of Sup, Guys, and see who can link to Larry in the fewest Strava Flybys possible.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.