Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Decathlon Triban Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Decathlon Triban Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 03:09 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Decathlon Triban Bike?

Looking for opinions.

So my 11 year old son is really wanting a road bike but I don't really want to drop 1K on a kids specific road bike or a XS women road bike so I have been throwing around a couple of ideas. Either doing a build if I can find a XS cheap frame set or buy something like this:

Triban Abyss RC100, Aluminum Road Bike | Decathlon

Price is decent but specs are minimal. I can always upgrade this bike if needed too. Gets pretty good reviews but they can be deceiving of course. In all honesty if Argon 18 still made the Xenon I would think about getting one or if my local Spec dealer could find a Jr. Allez I would like to see one. Both of these pre-rona were around $800.

Thoughts?
thanks!
Old 01-24-22, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If he still has quite a bit of growing to do then I'd be looking for something inexpensive too. And if like my kids attitudes, bikes were made to be abused any and every way then let Dad fix or buy new, then pretty much whatever you can find.

At 11 years old, I wouldn't think it'd fit him by age 13. But I've not had pre-teen and teenagers for a while. Maybe they grow faster now.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-24-22, 04:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
I put my kids on a skinny tired road Cannondale (maybe a 48cm bike). The down-level components survived a boy and a girl. Though I have to admit, when not riding with Dad they both preferred their all-purpose kids bikes.

I only buy upscale components for a road bike I expect to have high mileage and careful use.
Old 01-24-22, 05:24 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Not a horrible bike, but not all that great either.
Advantage is the low price, and known availability and shipping, so you're not "unicorn hunting" through a weak used market.

Biggest weakness is the 1x7 drivetrain. If it's really super-flat where you live, it's probably workable, but if you figure you'll be looking to add brifters, and a 2x crank, expect to throw another $100~$150 at it,(unless you've got parts on hand)

If you're already looking at mail-order I'd take a look at the Gravity Avenue A from Bikes Direct It's got the same stem-shift Shimano drivetrain but in 2x7, and it's $100 less. (List is $399)
X-Small starts at 43cm, and it looks like a more nicely turned-out bike than the Triban.

Looking through the BD catalog, it seems like the STI-equipped bikes start ~$650 but seem more likely to sell out quicker

Last edited by Ironfish653; 01-24-22 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-24-22, 07:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Thanks for the opinions, didn't think of BD...good tip!
Old 01-24-22, 07:34 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
The bike that you showed the link to looks decent. Definitely looks reliable and not some bottom of the barrel cheapo bike. Keep in mind that your kid will grow out of their bike and we'll need a few new ones until they are fully grown.
Likes For grant40:
Old 01-24-22, 07:47 PM
HumbleBiker

Bikes: 2019 Time Scylon Rim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My buddy has the same bike, I remember thinking that it was quite heavy for an aluminium bike when i lifted it. If your kid likes it, it's a good package. But for the same price, you might be able to find smth on the used market that might catch your eye
Likes For HumbleBiker:
Old 01-24-22, 08:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by grant40
The bike that you showed the link to looks decent. Definitely looks reliable and not some bottom of the barrel cheapo bike. Keep in mind that your kid will grow out of their bike and we'll need a few new ones until they are fully grown.
this is what scares me the most...... my budget is already tight for my own needs. Darn wives and their budgeting. Who needs food?
Old 01-24-22, 08:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by HumbleBiker
My buddy has the same bike, I remember thinking that it was quite heavy for an aluminium bike when i lifted it. If your kid likes it, it's a good package. But for the same price, you might be able to find smth on the used market that might catch your eye

I have been watching and really searching now. I have some time yet but this is probably the best way to get the best use of the money I am spending no doubt.

I think patience here is the best plan and keep on looking. I do want a decent bike, we do spend a bit of time on them and we do a lot of miles.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-24-22, 10:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
My kids are 5’1” and 5’3” and I think 650c wheel sized road bikes are best for kids this size. Trek and Cannondale both made 650c road bikes from the mid 90’s to the mid 00’s. You can still find these bikes on the used market. Felt also made the F95 jr from maybe 2012 to 2018 or thereabouts. This is a good option for the smaller kids around 4’9 or 4’10”.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-25-22, 12:39 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Well, given the price it's not bad, and my experience with Decathlon products has been consistently good and good value, too.

That said, I'd look at one of their better bikes with STIs - the RC120 comes with Microshift 2 x 8 speed which makes the bike far more capable, and it's not a lot more money.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 01-25-22, 12:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
We have had a Trek 650c road bike in the family for 4 years now. Its currently with my youngest who is now 11 and will hopefully fit it in the smallest setup this coming season.
650c is a dead wheel size. There are like 2 quality tire choices and nothing wider than 28mm.

An 11 year old will grow. I would do again the exact thing I did- buy used frames and transfer components as needed. My 15yo will be on her 3rd road frame this coming season. $130 total bought on the c&v forum here. The now too small frame will sit for a couple years until my youngest is bigger.
The drivetrain on my oldest bike is 2x9 tiagra shifting, 105 10sp derailleurs, and a 165mm Sora crankset. It couldn't be more mishmashed, but it works perfectly.

An aluminum frame from 10-25 years ago will fit modern components and build into a reasonably light bike.

Another option is to take a rigid 24" MTB and convert it to 1x9 with Miroshift Advent shifting, then add some lighter wheels and faster rolling tires. Relatively inexpensive, so $ can be saved for a bit until he outgrows it
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-28-22, 08:07 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
No way my parents would buy me a new road bike at that age. They got me a decent used bike from a pawn shop for $70. I rode it enough that they realized I took cycling seriously, and a couple years later they bought me a new one. I bought my daughter a new bike, but she rides it so little that the only maintenance it needs is wiping the dust off the seat. I'll give it to my nephew when he gets big enough.
Old 01-29-22, 07:47 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have been very happy with the RC520 105 I bought last year.
Mostly 105, external bottom bracket a little on the heavy side, but I l already have an extra lighter wheelset and just going to upgrade the saddle and some bigger tires and call it good.

Also bought my 12-year-old son a barely used salsa journeyman Claris XS we found on Craiglist for a good price.
But when looking for both used and new bikes, there was not much available in our price range and sizes.
Likes For Joeyseven:
Old 01-29-22, 08:14 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I know times have changed, but I got a new bike when I was 11 and rode it until I was 18. By that time, the bike was pretty well trashed.
Likes For Random11:
Old 01-29-22, 10:25 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
No way my parents would buy me a new road bike at that age. They got me a decent used bike from a pawn shop for $70. I rode it enough that they realized I took cycling seriously, and a couple years later they bought me a new one. I bought my daughter a new bike, but she rides it so little that the only maintenance it needs is wiping the dust off the seat. I'll give it to my nephew when he gets big enough.

If he was just going to be a casual rider I would do this very thing. But he rides with me a lot and rides with mom a lot. He is on his 3rd bike. Trainer bike when he was 3-4-5, then he got the Spec. Hot Rock he is riding now but this is going to his last year on that because he is out growing it. He also really wants to Zwift with me in the winter. I am a cheap person but if he enjoys riding like he does and is really good with his bikes I can't not get him a nicer set up. I am glad he likes to ride and want to keep him interested.
Old 01-29-22, 10:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I have been very happy with the RC520 105 I bought last year.
Mostly 105, external bottom bracket a little on the heavy side, but I l already have an extra lighter wheelset and just going to upgrade the saddle and some bigger tires and call it good.

Also bought my 12-year-old son a barely used salsa journeyman Claris XS we found on Craiglist for a good price.
But when looking for both used and new bikes, there was not much available in our price range and sizes.
the Salsa Journeyman 24" is on the radar if I can find one cheap enough. But also would like to go to 26" now just so it will last a bit longer. The Salsa looks really nice!
Old 01-29-22, 10:29 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I understand the need to be inexpensive but the Triban Decathlon specs suck totally at $500.

Have seen way better components on the Mongoose Selous also selling at $500 like the 2x9 Shimano Sora drivetrain (QR hubs are not Sora but also good freehub, aluminum build). The Mongoose one gives you way better range on the gearing, allowing your kid to take on serious climbs.

I started riding road at 12 years old during the early 90's. I went with used chromoly steel Raleigh cyclocross bike with Shimano Deore groupset. My uncle got it for me at only $200 I think. So going used is not a bad idea (will get you even better parts) as long as the used bike doesn't have any damaged components (like damage from crash or collision).

NOW let's talk about sizing. The bike my uncle gave me is size 56!! It is way bigger than for my height of 5'3" (back when I was 12). Ironically, I don't remember having any discomfort related to size on the bike. It didn't feel too big, I didn't feel too stretched and I did 2-hour rides at the time or even 4 hour cumulative riding time in one day without complaints.

It would seem being young makes one quite flexible that ill-fitting bike wasn't a big problem. There was a minor problem with "standover height" but that's it. I would recommend getting a bike up to 2 to 3 sizes bigger so that your kid can use it for much longer than otherwise. It's not a big problem as long as he can clear the top tube.

I planned on going up just a bit so he can use it past 14/15 for certain. I don't want to go way oversize but yeah, I know what your saying. Any drop bar bike anymore can be so manipulated by stems, seat posts, bars cranks I know I can keep him in it a while.
I am watching all the mainstream 2nd hand markets daily now. something will come along at some point.
Old 02-03-22, 09:22 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I own a Triban RC100. Some points you may find useful.

1. I am very happy with the bike. Ordered online and needed to attach front wheel and handlebar. Every thing worked out of the box and continues to work fine. Zero need for any repairs.

2. 7-speeds with single chainring can be constraint if you bike in a hilly area. A triple crankset, with appropriate chainrings, will address that.

3. Prices outside North America are around $350. So, value may be lower for you.

4. The frame is good and worth upgrading. In fact, I bought it for the frame, fork and non-drivetrain components.

5. Bought RC100 over RC120 since I prefer non-carbon fork. For a young kid, a steel fork is probably better.

6. If at all possible, get the small size over XS. It can easily be adjusted to fit heights at least till 5'8". I am 5'8" and could've ridden S thru L, maybe even XL ignoring standover height. Got an M.

7. It comes with a lifetime warranty on non-carbon frames and forks (probably 5 years if carbon) and a 2-year warranty on the rest.

HTH

Last edited by anga; 02-03-22 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For anga:
Old 02-07-22, 03:02 PM
javier87gav

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes you can find great deals on the second hand market