Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A shortish history of modern American frame builders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A shortish history of modern American frame builders

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 01:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
This is an interesting subject from a European point of view. Here, the market was totally different. The best frame builders were building for professional riders and aspiring amateurs, who couldn't care less about aesthetics. True quality in their eyes was a bike that enabled them to win races. Nothing more, nothing less.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-24-22, 02:37 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Doug Fattic Since you're nearby, do you remember a builder in Lafayette, IN in the '90s? I had thought there was one, but could never figure out for sure.
Old 01-25-22, 07:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
Dylansbob,
Dave Plantenga was building during that period but he was from the Fort Wayne area. I think he is still actively building but not sure how many per year. Smiles, MH
Old 01-25-22, 07:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
non-fixie,
Kinda reminds me of my recent access of a Reg Harris frame that was made from gas pipe. He however used production made Raleigh's and won a bunch of races. Smiles, MH
Old 01-25-22, 08:10 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Ah, early adventurers & memories: Ray Gasiorowski at Romic Cycles in Houston, Texas. Tom Boyden at Fastab Cycles in Garland, Texas.

And Mike Melton, who instead of studying with the European builders went east to 3Rensho.
Old 01-25-22, 09:02 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Adam Eldridge: Stanridge Speed, Wraith Fabrications. High end pursuit and track bikes, custom lugged frames, and podium cross/gravel bikes.
Old 01-25-22, 11:45 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Doug Fattic Since you're nearby, do you remember a builder in Lafayette, IN in the '90s? I had thought there was one, but could never figure out for sure.
That would be John Cherry. We took the very 1st titanium welding class together at UBI taught by Gary Helfrich in 1992. Gary was one of the founders of Merlin and figured out how to weld ti frames when he was road manager of the rock group Aerosmith. John had made some titanium frames before we went to UBI. I painted a lot of his frames over the years. He was both a MTB and road frame maker. His mountain bikes were called Cherry Bombs. He and his parents ran a bike store in Lafayette. Some years ago he left framebuilding and went back to college and sold his equipment and worked a normal job. Now he is back working at a bike store again and collecting more framebuilding equipment. He remembers selling his 1st set of equipment to one of my framebuilding class students.

Dave Plantenga was a barber in Kodomo Indiana that built frames on the side. Kokomo is between South Bend and Indianapolis. I don't believe he has built any bikes in years that I have heard about.

Adam Eldridge got his start taking one of my 3 day brazing classes.

Reg Harris (the English sprinter that won a national title in his 50's) rode a lot of different frames. It was common practice for well known professional riders to have custom made frames but decaled with whatever manufacturer was the sponsor. I remember a conversation with Johnny Berry the only time I talked to him almost 50 years ago that he built some frames for Reg. It didn't seem like an important detail at the time so I can't swear I heard this from him or later from his wife Ida when I was getting Johnny's equipment.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-26-22, 10:54 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I believe Adam is now in Texas, fabricating custom interiors for medical evac helicopters.
Wraith frames cost more now than when new, especially the cross/gravel versions.
I've never seen a Stanridge Speed frame for sale used.
Old 01-26-22, 12:51 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,049 Posts
That would be John Cherry. We took the very 1st titanium welding class together at UBI taught by Gary Helfrich in 1992. Gary was one of the founders of Merlin and figured out how to weld ti frames when he was road manager of the rock group Aerosmith. John had made some titanium frames before we went to UBI. I painted a lot of his frames over the years. He was both a MTB and road frame maker. His mountain bikes were called Cherry Bombs. He and his parents ran a bike store in Lafayette. Some years ago he left framebuilding and went back to college and sold his equipment and worked a normal job. Now he is back working at a bike store again and collecting more framebuilding equipment. He remembers selling his 1st set of equipment to one of my framebuilding class students.

Dave Plantenga was a barber in Kodomo Indiana that built frames on the side. Kokomo is between South Bend and Indianapolis. I don't believe he has built any bikes in years that I have heard about.

Reg Harris (the English sprinter that won a national title in his 50's) rode a lot of different frames. It was common practice for well known professional riders to have custom made frames but decaled with whatever manufacturer was the sponsor. I remember a conversation with Johnny Berry the only time I talked to him almost 50 years ago that he built some frames for Reg. It didn't seem like an important detail at the time so I can't swear I heard this from him or later from his wife Ida when I was getting Johnny's equipment.
There has to be about 50 gazzilion stories that could fall out of that one sentence.
Old 01-26-22, 01:03 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Doug did you ever get to know Jack Trumbull of Franklin Frame?
Old 01-26-22, 01:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
That would be John Cherry. We took the very 1st titanium welding class together at UBI taught by Gary Helfrich in 1992. Gary was one of the founders of Merlin and figured out how to weld ti frames when he was road manager of the rock group Aerosmith. John had made some titanium frames before we went to UBI. I painted a lot of his frames over the years. ......
Just to add to Doug's info..

I've got an article about John Cherry's frames, saved from an old Bicycle Guide (I think) magazine, along with shots of a Cherry that I saw on the Hilly Hundred ride near Bloomington, Indiana.

Steve in Peoria

Old 01-26-22, 01:26 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Doug did you ever get to know Jack Trumbull of Franklin Frame?
No, I don't know Jack personally. We met one time when Melton went bust in Delaware, Ohio in 1981. Mike fled town when he realized the bank was going to call in their loan and one of his partners (whose dad was an officer of the bank) was selling what was left to us. After saying hi we were both busy organizing and packing and didn't have time to chat.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-26-22, 01:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Charlie Cunningham was a very early aluminum frame builder. His influence on the industry was significant since he was a founder of WTB, but I don't know how exactly those threads extend out to other manufacturers. Now THAT Was a Bike: Charlie Cunningham's Prophetic CC Proto - Pinkbike

And you obviously can't forget Klein.
Yeah... I was definitely thinking though of brands like Foes, Turner, Canfield, and Nicolai (Germany) making heavy duty mountain bikes, pulling the form ahead from the cruiser-tire-touring-bike mold it had already fallen into
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-26-22, 03:29 PM
tricky 

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yeah... I was definitely thinking though of brands like Foes, Turner, Canfield, and Nicolai (Germany) making heavy duty mountain bikes, pulling the form ahead from the cruiser-tire-touring-bike mold it had already fallen into
Gotcha! Yeah, that's a different era and beast than I was considering. That's a cool vein in bike history though. You could argue that heavy duty mountain bikes and the more cruiser style or XC bikes have ended up merging into the modern dual suspension XC or "down country" bikes that everyone seems to be riding.

Did maybe even Ventana have aluminum rear triangles? I think they mostly worked in steel, but I though they either built or sourced the rear triangles of their custom full suspension bikes in aluminum, but I haven't seen one in a while.

Edit: for example, here's a Habanero on ebay. Vintage Ventana El Habanero 26" Full Suspension Mountain Bike 18.5" Large Frame | eBay Not sure if they built those rear triangles or not.

Old 01-26-22, 06:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Gotcha! Yeah, that's a different era and beast than I was considering. That's a cool vein in bike history though. You could argue that heavy duty mountain bikes and the more cruiser style or XC bikes have ended up merging into the modern dual suspension XC or "down country" bikes that everyone seems to be riding.

Did maybe even Ventana have aluminum rear triangles? I think they mostly worked in steel, but I though they either built or sourced the rear triangles of their custom full suspension bikes in aluminum, but I haven't seen one in a while.

Edit: for example, here's a Habanero on ebay. Vintage Ventana El Habanero 26" Full Suspension Mountain Bike 18.5" Large Frame | eBay Not sure if they built those rear triangles or not.
Yes they did. Lots of other peoples' too. It's a full aluminum shop. Maybe even things that are not bikes!

Don't know what their current status is, though. Their website lineup is ca. 2017. I know MTBTandems is still shipping out ECDM's and I think Ventana makes their Fandango line too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-26-22, 09:26 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
This is an interesting subject from a European point of view. Here, the market was totally different. The best frame builders were building for professional riders and aspiring amateurs, who couldn't care less about aesthetics. True quality in their eyes was a bike that enabled them to win races. Nothing more, nothing less.
This was somewhat the approach of Roland Della Santa who built several of Greg LeMond's early bikes. Although Roland knew his American clientele well enough to keep a wide selection of lugs on hand for his customers to choose between. He also had a million stories and a fine sense of humor which may have contributed to his "ossobuco" chain stays.

The last time I saw him was at the 2019(?) handbuilt bicycle show in Sacramento. Roland, known for his race bikes, was displaying a touring bike. I asked him if Hell had frozen over. His response was "Don't tell anyone you saw this!"
Brent

Last edited by obrentharris; 01-26-22 at 09:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-26-22, 10:49 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 541 Posts
As a guy with a degree in History, I love this thread much more than any other posted on BF. Keep it comin’!
Old 01-26-22, 11:25 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by RustyJames
As a guy with a degree in History, I love this thread much more than any other posted on BF. Keep it comin’!
If you like history, consider Primus Mootry, Sr. More to him than just frame building.

Another builder: Toby Stanton.
Old 01-27-22, 07:53 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
If you like history, consider Primus Mootry, Sr. More to him than just frame building.

Another builder: Toby Stanton.
Who is Primus Mootry Sr?

I remember painting the Cherry bike Steve posted (#61) that he saw on the Hilly Hundred.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-27-22, 04:33 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I've had two custom bikes over the last 40+ years. A tandem built by Tom Boyden of FASTAB Cycles in Garland, TX. I think he has since passed. My road bike was built by John Stinsman in Allentown, PA who built under the name Veloce, a few years before Campy's groupo of the same name. He was a master of faded paint. Oddly, Stinsman's logo was an overhead view of a Lola formula 1 race car. Quite possibly the only frame builder to have a race car in their logo!
Others that come to mind are Gary Fisher, Proteus Design, Rob Boi in Chicago, Angel Rodriguez, Bill Davidson and there must be a plethora of other Seattle builders. I think there was a buy named Anderson in Indiana.
Old 01-27-22, 05:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Some others to include to might be Georgena Terry, Ron Boi,
Jack Trumbull, and Chris Kvale.
Thanks for mentioning Chris Kvale in this discussion.

I live in his neck of the woods and I get to see his bikes fairly often.

I've owned a handful. They ride beautifully and his handiwork is top shelf in terms of attention to details.

Curt Goodrich is also a Minneapolis builder that does exceptional work. One of my riding buds has two Goodrich bikes and I love riding them.

Interesting post btw.
Old 01-27-22, 05:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
How about drilling down on self taught builders?

Very short list?
Old 01-27-22, 05:17 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Thanks for mentioning Chris Kvale in this discussion.

I live in his neck of the woods and I get to see his bikes fairly often.

I've owned a handful. They ride beautifully and his handiwork is top shelf in terms of attention to details.

Curt Goodrich is also a Minneapolis builder that does exceptional work. One of my riding buds has two Goodrich bikes and I love riding them.

Interesting post btw.
I've also seen little of Rich Gangl. He was first recommended to me when I first moved to Colorado back around 1984. I was looking for a frame alignment for the Masi I had just bought. I didn't find him but I did find a great alignment, I think it might have been through Schwab cycles - somewhere in Littleton near 6th and Waterton?
Old 01-27-22, 06:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
I've had two custom bikes over the last 40+ years. A tandem built by Tom Boyden of FASTAB Cycles in Garland, TX. I think he has since passed. My road bike was built by John Stinsman in Allentown, PA who built under the name Veloce, a few years before Campy's groupo of the same name. He was a master of faded paint. Oddly, Stinsman's logo was an overhead view of a Lola formula 1 race car. Quite possibly the only frame builder to have a race car in their logo!
Others that come to mind are Gary Fisher, Proteus Design, Rob Boi in Chicago, Angel Rodriguez, Bill Davidson and there must be a plethora of other Seattle builders. I think there was a buy named Anderson in Indiana.
so many mentions of neat frames, and NO PHOTOS!??!

what is the world coming to?

Steve in Peoria, wondering why I haven't seen these on the road
Old 01-27-22, 07:20 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Only the FASTAB and Veloce were my bikes, and the FASTAB is long gone.

The Veloce is hanging in my workshop along with the Motobecanes and a couple others. On the rare occasion i go for a bike ride its usually on my 75 Grand Jubile or '73 Le Champion. Mostly it's behind the wheel of my '73 MGB GT.

Stop by and see them when you're over in Morton. PM me for address

QUOTE=steelbikeguy;22389671]so many mentions of neat frames, and NO PHOTOS!??!

what is the world coming to?

Steve in Peoria, wondering why I haven't seen these on the road[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.