Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tip for emergency chain tool with detachable handle?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-17-22, 07:02 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Anyone has a good tip for occasional use (carry-at-all-times) chain tool that is not flimsy, but also not a tank? Most have either massive handle or nothing much there at all making it difficult to work with. Given the fact most of the time one has allen keys at hand, is there perhaps any chain tool that would have slot for an ordinary allen key for a handle making it space saving for a saddle bag but practical to use?

EDIT: Not something that is permanently part of a massive multi-tool.

Last edited by am8117; 02-17-22 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 07:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Someone should come out with a new version of the Cool Tool!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-17-22, 07:07 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Someone should come out with a new version of the Cool Tool!

I swear I made my edit to the post just before seeing your first reply.
Old 02-17-22, 07:12 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by am8117
I swear I made my edit to the post just before seeing your first reply.
Your mention of using an allen wrench to turn the chain tool just reminded me of the Cool Tool. I still have mine, but I only have one of the original two-sided allen wrenches though, and have stuffed a regular 5mm allen in the missing original's place.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-17-22, 07:28 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I only use the chain tool that comes with my Topeak Hexus X multitool, even at home. I doubt it gets much more compact than that.
Old 02-17-22, 07:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I like the Park CT5.

Not minuscule, but it is a good robust tool for both home and road use.

You could probably remove the cross bar if you wish... but..

I had a portable cheap Chinese Multitool that I was using. I was breaking a Wipperman 9s chain for my nephew, and the chain broke the multitool.

The chain tool is something that I like to be able to count on.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-17-22, 09:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I like the Park CT5.

I had a portable cheap Chinese Multitool that I was using. I was breaking a Wipperman 9s chain for my nephew, and the chain broke the multitool.

I've also typically traveled with the park due to its strength, and started doing so after breaking a cheaper one, its what I have in my touring kit. Had a chain where the pins were peened to make it stronger, to break it I had to put a wrench on the park tool for extra leverage and a pair of pliers on the post and it held up fine, but that can be the one upside to some of the bigger multi-tools, they have the leverage for tougher chains. For my other regular use bikes I have the crank bros multi-tools to have less to lose in a more compact space.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-18-22, 07:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
The old "Chain Pup" is the smallest and lightest chain tool I've used. Not sure if they're still in production, though.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-18-22, 07:35 AM
am8117

I like the Park CT5.

I know ... I was eyeing this one because it looks "standard" but still that the chain won't break the tool (happened to lots of us I guess) ... but I cannot find picture of it anywhere in scale ... as in next to one's hand (not a good scale check ), coin etc. Will that fit in a small saddle bag and stay flat? How thick is the cross bar ... only asking because I have some round handle shaped allen keys and I might just stick them through instead...
Old 02-18-22, 07:44 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Because I already carry a bit ratchet and a bit holder, I like the fixit-sticks chain tool.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 02-18-22, 11:46 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
... I have some round handle shaped allen keys and I might just stick them through instead...
That is exactly what I did, it took longer to get out the angle grinder to cut off the handle than to actually cut it. You can also insert another key (or stick) through the triangular handle for even better leverage.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-18-22, 12:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
For on the road get a brand name, high quality multi tool like the crank brothers m19 that has a chain tool

get a good tool for the shop....i used a cheapo for years and was amazed at how much nice the park one was

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-18-22, 01:28 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 329 Posts
I like the Park CT5.

I second this - definitely small enough for a saddle bag or tool pouch but decent enough to get the job done.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 02-18-22, 01:51 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
For on the road get a brand name, high quality multi tool like the crank brothers m19 that has a chain tool

get a good tool for the shop....i used a cheapo for years and was amazed at how much nice the park one was
+1 for the M19 on the road, and a Park at home.
Old 02-18-22, 06:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would just swap to quick links and get the Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers It is a neat tool, it has your chain link pliers plus a chainring bolt (holding it together and room for some spare links. They also make the 8 bit Pack Pliers and you can carry quick links separately.

The CT-5 would be what I carry with me if I really wanted a full on chain tool that is not so crazy but in the end I would probably just have my Topeak multitool with the chain tool on it and just suffer through that as I have in the past at home but beyond that I really don't feel the need to carry a chain tool much.

At home I really love my Abbey Decade but that is not a practical tool to own, it is very very very smooth and super nice but it is expensive on the verge of a little much. For the average person I would probably go Park CT 3.3 or if I wanted to go a bit more extra but still save $50 the Pedro's Tutto is really nice. Shimano also made a nice wood handled one but I don't think they make it any longer.
Old 02-18-22, 07:35 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would just swap to quick links and get the Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers It is a neat tool, it has your chain link pliers plus a chainring bolt (holding it together and room for some spare links.
I do have quick links, but the real world use cases for chain tool: (it happened)
- broken chainlink ... can't rip it just out, need to shorten it
- broken RD hanger / busted RD etc when the chain needs to go short for "single-speed"
- someone else you ride with does not use them and decided to ruin your ride because they do not carry their chain tool

Old 02-18-22, 07:42 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by Riveting
+1 for the M19 on the road, and a Park at home.
I just never need anything from a multi-tool and find the handles clumsy. I am good with two allen keys and tiny pliers ... no multi tool is that small and provides long/short arm like a regular allen key without any bulge.
Old 02-18-22, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I do have quick links, but the real world use cases for chain tool: (it happened)
- broken chainlink ... can't rip it just out, need to shorten it
- broken RD hanger / busted RD etc when the chain needs to go short for "single-speed"
- someone else you ride with does not use them and decided to ruin your ride because they do not carry their chain tool

Ok fair dinkum. I probably wouldn't ride with those people though.
Old 02-18-22, 07:46 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
That is exactly what I did, it took longer to get out the angle grinder to cut off the handle than to actually cut it. You can also insert another key (or stick) through the triangular handle for even better leverage.
This brings me to reach a point when I would go for the simplest chaintool with the hexagonal outer shape, saw off the fixed handle, ditch the lever and carry an allen key and adjustable spanner (wait that's not much useful these days) / mini water pump pliers to grab it with. While at that I might ditch the mini pliers that I used to carry.
Old 02-18-22, 07:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
something a little different its also a quick link tool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Old 02-18-22, 08:55 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I carry the Topeak chain tool for the Ratchet Rocket RX: https://www.freedombikeshop.com/prod...rx-62916-1.htm

I use the Ratchet Rocket with a 5mm bit as the driver and a separate 5mm allen key as the handle. It works.
Old 02-18-22, 08:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
this is my tool kit though so far I have not and to use it.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-19-22, 09:57 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Anyone has a good tip for occasional use (carry-at-all-times) chain tool that is not flimsy, but also not a tank? Most have either massive handle or nothing much there at all making it difficult to work with. Given the fact most of the time one has allen keys at hand, is there perhaps any chain tool that would have slot for an ordinary allen key for a handle making it space saving for a saddle bag but practical to use?

EDIT: Not something that is permanently part of a massive multi-tool.
I am always confused by this question. In over 450,000 miles of road riding over 50+ years, I have NEVER needed a chain tool. I must be doing something wrong?
Old 02-19-22, 10:05 AM
am8117

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I am always confused by this question. In over 450,000 miles of road riding over 50+ years, I have NEVER needed a chain tool. I must be doing something wrong?
Well, I did. On unknown but much lower mileage, but then I don’t have a support vehicle behind.
Old 02-19-22, 10:44 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
In over 45 years of riding I have never broken a chain on the road either but the little Park chain tool remains in my small under-seat pouch. It keeps company with a spare tube, a Park self-sticky patch kit and my trusty PB Swiss Tools multitool (pictured above). For shop use I have a Hozan C371 chain tool that was made in Japan. Just a crazy great quality tool, like what Dura Ace is to bike components.
Likes For drlogik:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.