Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Fake Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 06:46 PM
nobodyisperfect

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fake Bike?

Hi! I was looking to buy this Schwinn bike, titled on Craigslist as a Schwinn high timber 26 bike. Trying to look closer at the picture, I read it to be a High Timber 2.6 fs. I cannot find this bike online, so I was wondering if this was an actual Schwinn bike, or if it is a fake? Also if anyone knows the price range of this bike I would greatly appreciate the information! And as I can't actually post the picture, here's the website to the bike.
pullman.craigslist.org/bik/d/schwin-high-timber-26-montain/6512795382.html
Old 03-22-18, 08:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am having a hard time believing somebody would bother faking a Schwinn.
Old 03-24-18, 07:44 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My thoughts, exactly.
Old 03-27-18, 05:13 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Don't know much about the brand except it's pretty low end nowadays and often just a brand slap on imported bikes from various factories in the far east. Once you get to the point where you are just slapping on brands you can end up losing track of model names and numbers.

A quick google showed a low end BSO under that name on amazon.com with 27.5" wheels. Twist grip gears, freewheel, quill stem, tourney derailleur, heavy steel crankset and awful front suspension. You'd hope it would be fake but unfortunately that is a real Schwinn nowadays. They'd be a real chance that if you found and bought a fake Schwinn you might end up with a better bike than the real thing. A bit like those jeans where the fakes were double stitched and used thicker stronger material than the original versions. They were too good to be the real product.
Old 03-28-18, 08:18 AM
skycomag

Bikes: Nashbar trekking bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look at this.:https://www.google.com/search?ei=6KO....0.wk6f8Yu5nX0
Old 04-11-18, 01:20 AM
mirandawhyte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought mountain biking is an ordinary but when i tried it, I'm amazed!
Old 04-11-18, 05:46 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Schwinn makes two lines these days. One is department store quality, and the other is the bike shop line.
a terrible branding strategy. Everyone sees them at W-mart and Target and consumers think of them as department store bikes. This will ruin any efforts to sell at LBS.

Same with Mongoose, which I understand have good bikes, but also sell at Walmart.

I actually had 2 Schwinn of the 2008s or so in my household (the LBS type with QR and threadless steerer etc.) and they were not as bad as expected, but the brand is tarnished.

Resale value of an LBS brand that also sells at Walmart has to be terrible compared to a similar priced regular brand LBS bike.

on topic, yes, it is a Schwinn, so-called BSO. It is a fake bike (bike shaped object) and sold as bike at big box stores...
Old 04-11-18, 07:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

To repeat:
Nobody is going bother faking a Schwinn.

Being the best bike brand at Walmart does not change that.
Old 04-11-18, 08:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Schwinn bikes are very probably the best quality sold at walmart. While the Huffy's and mongooses they sell are most definitely BSO's, the Schwinns are a little better.
Take the Schwinn Admiral that Walmart sells. Yep, it's got the traditional one piece crank, but it's also got aluminum alloy hubs instead of stamped steel, it's got aluminum alloy wheels and aluminum alloy brakes and aluminum alloy stem as well as a nicely shaped bar.
It's better quality than the gas pipe Schwinns of an earlier era.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schw...Green/42248069
Not too bad for 149.
It has QR, which is good. Unfortunately this type of bike isn't for anyone riding more than around the block (weird handlebar, women frame, comfort bike), so the longevity may not matter anyway since that bike may see 20 miles in its life.

I happened to be at Target today had some time to kill and thought of this thread. Looked at the bikes and saw all the Schwinn there had QR instead of the locknut for the even cheaper bikes there. But some of the Schwinn were almost $300. what are people smoking to pay $300 for a Big box bike? The one Schwinn also had that weird spoke pattern (like expensive 'ligthweight" wheels have with 4 spokes, big gap , etc.... the ones where you pay a lot for a set and if a spoke breaks you never will be able to repair the wheel and need to buy a new set)

Yeah, the best of W-mart doesn't say much....
Old 04-12-18, 05:42 PM
HerrKaLeun

Actually, it does. People buy big box because they have credit cards there, and if there's a problem with it, you don't have to deal with "holier than thou" bike guys. Do you realize how smug you sound?

People like you are the reason real bike shops are a dying breed.
I don't really care where a bike is purchased and I think credit cards are accepted anywhere where bikes are sold. I only care about the quality and value of the bike. If W-mart would sell semi-decent bikes I would buy there. I buy stuff at W-mart, just not bikes for adults. I had bought an 18" kid bike at toys'rús because it doesn't get ridden a lot. I also bought a BD bike (excellent quality!), so I'm not an LBS defender.

Maybe I'm wrong, but there would be a market for decent "normal" bikes with the price a bit under LBS, but with decent quality (QR, 3-piece crank, freehub, maybe 1x10). But big box store bikes either have color schemes with some spiderman scheme, useless suspension forks for no reason other than to look cool, or the comfort style bike you linked. If they had a bike like the Giant Escape 3 (but with freehub!) for $250 it would be a great cheap decent commuter. But the way it is you have a choice between $500 LBS bike and $100 W-mart bike.
Old 04-13-18, 03:38 AM
donnaeastman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!The design is pretty simple but looks durable though. I'm planning to get a new one since the last bike I had was lost.
Old 04-16-18, 03:30 AM
donnaeastman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought mountain biking is an ordinary but when i tried it, I'm amazed!
Yeah it really is amazing! It really helped me relieve my stress from work.
Old 04-17-18, 11:13 AM
RubenAlonzo

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This+1
Old 04-18-18, 11:12 PM
laurenholloway

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it's better to check it yourself to avoid fake bikes.
Old 04-05-22, 05:17 PM
Skeetersaurus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems, everyone in this thread is really bashing Schwinn...and it's a real shame, considering the 'fodder' that's really out there. Let's consider:
* Super-Top-Shelf stuff...oh, yeah...new, costs $1,000 or more.
* Super-Top-Shelf stuff...been across the Rubicon 8-times, 22,000 miles, 31-frame stress cracks, 12th set of wheels, came with pad brakes, then disc brakes, then...well, it's not like it was OEM built...but like any 'NASCAR Camaro'...you'll have that name dropped 12 times during the 'used-sale' to justify that $600 re-warmed price
* Chineseum special...some form of SA36 (bumper-stock) steel...complete with all the semi-stripped fasteners, cold spot welds and super-glued components you can stuff in a $100 box
* Refreshed 1972 'Calamari-Special'...disregard you can't find a single Italian part to fit it, since the company went bankrupt 22-years ago...but that's ok...SHIMANO MAKES SOMETHING FOR IT!
* AND...Big Box 'dumpster dump' (Mongoose, Schwinn, etc.)...can't stand them, because Local Bike Shop bad mouths them every chance they can...so I will too, even though I haven't ridden a Schwinn since I was 12...still going to talk people out of buying them.

Now...for all those out there saying these things...let's put all this in perspective. NOT EVERYONE is cranking 32-tooth mega's on 30-speeds, trying to outrun Corvettes (or Jeeps) in bumper-to-bumper trials. Some just want a bicycle to ride to school, or work...and EVEN THE NEW SCHWINNS are great for this! Why do I say this? Let's look at it from a mechanical perspective...I weld. In fact, I weld custom motorcycle frames. I can MIG, normally for work I TIG, and when it comes to building $10,000 'real bike' frames, I can back it up. You want to know what I see...FREQUENTLY...when it comes to bicycles...which I also enjoy? JUNK! Not just 'Chineseum' models...I'm talking Cannondale (which I happen to own one...THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK I EVER LOST MONEY ON!), Cube, Huffy, Giant, Specialized, etc.
First off...$1,000 or more for a bicycle? It's like a one-eyed-dog buying into a Z06 Corvette, or someone with NO MATH SKILLS buying a $140 calculator...if you can only get $3 out of it...JUST BUY THE $3 MODEL, and save yourself money! Secondly, carbon-fiber is FAR OVER-RATED! Crack a CF frame, and count the tears (and the empty wallet) as you replace it...you'll never fix it back as it was. $100 a piece tires? $200? How about some $30 Conti's and call it a day...the road debris will take them out anyhow, before you manage to wear the tread off them (I live in West Texas...I can ride up and down my driveway twice, and have 40 Goat Heads stuck in those BRAND NEW TIRES before you say 'SLIME'! Which then asks, 'why am I spending $200 on custom aluminum rims, when they're only going to be as balanced as that 2-ounces of Slime rolling about inside the tubes will let them be? Kevlar liners? ROFL...you've never encountered Goat Heads! Stickers that can pierce Kevlar like it is tissue paper! (If the military could research them enough, we'd have a war-ending weapon FOREVER!)
Now...as I have ONLY ONCE taken the crank out of my Schwinn to repack some bearings...why do I really need a 3-piece crank? I don't get it...I'm not racing it, I try not to too-severely abuse my bicycle...what do I gain from taking what SHOULD be a one-piece part, and turning it into a 3-piece part? Oh, yeah...the joy of spline stripping...I forgot. That, and I get to pay more for that feature, too.
One of the greatest problems people have, is not realizing " WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE "...My Schwinn I have now isn't my first...in fact, I bought it at a garage sale...looked like new...probably had 20-miles on it...ok, so what. Welds were good...paint was good...tires? Meh. Chain like new. Cables looked good...brake pads looked good...rode it, and it rode straight. GOOD ENOUGH! Now, I'm going to tear it down...and play with 'other stuff on it'...off with the rim brakes, on with discs. Off with Freewheel hub, on with new wheels with cassette. Change seat, flatbar handlebar. Shimano deraileurs and chain (21-speed)...nice set of Conti tires (love the tread pattern for dirty streets)...and voila...I learned how DIRT SIMPLE bicycles come apart and go together! DIRT SIMPLE! Try building a motorcycle from scratch, get back to me when you get to the oiling system on a V-Twin. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...and far more hilarious than that...ITS NOT A SCHWINN ANYMORE, EITHER! It's about as 'Scwinn' as a NASCAR 900-hp 'stock car' is OEM-Stock! So...custom cables, lot of Shimano (thing is more 'Shimano' than 'Schwinn' now, ANYHOW), coochy gel seat...and I fall back to my original question, 'why are you guys giving this fellow a hard time about 'Schwinn rip-offs' as 'big box junk'? The ONLY THING more INSANE than taking a $200 Big Box floor display and putting $100 into it for gadgets and upgrades, is TAKING A CANNONDALE $2,000 BICYCLE, and putting ANYTHING ON IT!!! That defines 'you bought JUNK that wasn't right, and had to change it...and paid premiums to start out'!
As it is...my 'Shmooz-mano' bicycle, not counting tires, has about 2,400 miles on it now...about to get a new cassette, another chain...some cable work...but before all that happens, I figure I've got ABOUT $500 or so in the whole thing...from $25 garage sale, to learning-achieved, to 'got it'. You MIGHT want to look at what Bicycles have increased to, JUST IN 2022 already! With shipping hold-ups, most things made in Asia, and high demand...that '$175 Schwinn' of 2018 is now priced at $500...and those 'Top Shelf' toys are soaring up above some used motorcycle prices! I'd far rather grab good frames and build up some good bikes and SLAP CANNONDALE STICKERS on them, than to drop $1,000 on 'GIANT' bikes, that I'll lose half their value, the moment I ride it out of the store...and more-likely, lose 80% in most areas that aren't 'bicycle saturated'.
Oh...by the way...there is ONLY ONE bicycle shop within 200-miles of my home, or town! 100 or more motorcycle shops...ONLY ONE BICYCLE SHOP! (many do 'dual service', but choppers take top priority). So...does it really matter WHERE it comes from, when you've got to AMAZON it to get the part, and YouTube it to see how to put it on the first time?
Best thing ANYONE can do, is 'garage sale' their bike...unless their name is 'Lance Armstrong'...because if you aren't MAKING MONEY WITH IT, you are dumping money in it!
(I think I'm going to order me a few dozen 'GIANT' stickers...put them on my next batch of 'I'm bored' garage sale finds...it's so fun 'polluting the used market'...especially when it gets to people who get so upset at NOTHING!) Ride it! IF IT RIDES GOOD, IT'S A GOOD BIKE! BUY IT, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
Old 04-05-22, 07:51 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeetersaurus
It seems, everyone in this thread is really bashing Schwinn...and it's a real shame, considering the 'fodder' that's really out there. Let's consider:
* Super-Top-Shelf stuff...been across the Rubicon 8-times, 22,000 miles, 31-frame stress cracks, 12th set of wheels, came with pad brakes, then disc brakes, then...well, it's not like it was OEM built...but like any 'NASCAR Camaro'...you'll have that name dropped 12 times during the 'used-sale' to justify that $600 re-warmed price
* Chineseum special...some form of SA36 (bumper-stock) steel...complete with all the semi-stripped fasteners, cold spot welds and super-glued components you can stuff in a $100 box
* Refreshed 1972 'Calamari-Special'...disregard you can't find a single Italian part to fit it, since the company went bankrupt 22-years ago...but that's ok...SHIMANO MAKES SOMETHING FOR IT!
* AND...Big Box 'dumpster dump' (Mongoose, Schwinn, etc.)...can't stand them, because Local Bike Shop bad mouths them every chance they can...so I will too, even though I haven't ridden a Schwinn since I was 12...still going to talk people out of buying them.

Now...for all those out there saying these things...let's put all this in perspective. NOT EVERYONE is cranking 32-tooth mega's on 30-speeds, trying to outrun Corvettes (or Jeeps) in bumper-to-bumper trials. Some just want a bicycle to ride to school, or work...and EVEN THE NEW SCHWINNS are great for this! Why do I say this? Let's look at it from a mechanical perspective...I weld. In fact, I weld custom motorcycle frames. I can MIG, normally for work I TIG, and when it comes to building $10,000 'real bike' frames, I can back it up. You want to know what I see...FREQUENTLY...when it comes to bicycles...which I also enjoy? JUNK! Not just 'Chineseum' models...I'm talking Cannondale (which I happen to own one...THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK I EVER LOST MONEY ON!), Cube, Huffy, Giant, Specialized, etc.
First off...$1,000 or more for a bicycle? It's like a one-eyed-dog buying into a Z06 Corvette, or someone with NO MATH SKILLS buying a $140 calculator...if you can only get $3 out of it...JUST BUY THE $3 MODEL, and save yourself money! Secondly, carbon-fiber is FAR OVER-RATED! Crack a CF frame, and count the tears (and the empty wallet) as you replace it...you'll never fix it back as it was. $100 a piece tires? $200? How about some $30 Conti's and call it a day...the road debris will take them out anyhow, before you manage to wear the tread off them (I live in West Texas...I can ride up and down my driveway twice, and have 40 Goat Heads stuck in those BRAND NEW TIRES before you say 'SLIME'! Which then asks, 'why am I spending $200 on custom aluminum rims, when they're only going to be as balanced as that 2-ounces of Slime rolling about inside the tubes will let them be? Kevlar liners? ROFL...you've never encountered Goat Heads! Stickers that can pierce Kevlar like it is tissue paper! (If the military could research them enough, we'd have a war-ending weapon FOREVER!)
Now...as I have ONLY ONCE taken the crank out of my Schwinn to repack some bearings...why do I really need a 3-piece crank? I don't get it...I'm not racing it, I try not to too-severely abuse my bicycle...what do I gain from taking what SHOULD be a one-piece part, and turning it into a 3-piece part? Oh, yeah...the joy of spline stripping...I forgot. That, and I get to pay more for that feature, too.
One of the greatest problems people have, is not realizing " WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE "...My Schwinn I have now isn't my first...in fact, I bought it at a garage sale...looked like new...probably had 20-miles on it...ok, so what. Welds were good...paint was good...tires? Meh. Chain like new. Cables looked good...brake pads looked good...rode it, and it rode straight. GOOD ENOUGH! Now, I'm going to tear it down...and play with 'other stuff on it'...off with the rim brakes, on with discs. Off with Freewheel hub, on with new wheels with cassette. Change seat, flatbar handlebar. Shimano deraileurs and chain (21-speed)...nice set of Conti tires (love the tread pattern for dirty streets)...and voila...I learned how DIRT SIMPLE bicycles come apart and go together! DIRT SIMPLE! Try building a motorcycle from scratch, get back to me when you get to the oiling system on a V-Twin. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE...and far more hilarious than that...ITS NOT A SCHWINN ANYMORE, EITHER! It's about as 'Scwinn' as a NASCAR 900-hp 'stock car' is OEM-Stock! So...custom cables, lot of Shimano (thing is more 'Shimano' than 'Schwinn' now, ANYHOW), coochy gel seat...and I fall back to my original question, 'why are you guys giving this fellow a hard time about 'Schwinn rip-offs' as 'big box junk'? The ONLY THING more INSANE than taking a $200 Big Box floor display and putting $100 into it for gadgets and upgrades, is TAKING A CANNONDALE $2,000 BICYCLE, and putting ANYTHING ON IT!!! That defines 'you bought JUNK that wasn't right, and had to change it...and paid premiums to start out'!
As it is...my 'Shmooz-mano' bicycle, not counting tires, has about 2,400 miles on it now...about to get a new cassette, another chain...some cable work...but before all that happens, I figure I've got ABOUT $500 or so in the whole thing...from $25 garage sale, to learning-achieved, to 'got it'. You MIGHT want to look at what Bicycles have increased to, JUST IN 2022 already! With shipping hold-ups, most things made in Asia, and high demand...that '$175 Schwinn' of 2018 is now priced at $500...and those 'Top Shelf' toys are soaring up above some used motorcycle prices! I'd far rather grab good frames and build up some good bikes and SLAP CANNONDALE STICKERS on them, than to drop $1,000 on 'GIANT' bikes, that I'll lose half their value, the moment I ride it out of the store...and more-likely, lose 80% in most areas that aren't 'bicycle saturated'.
Oh...by the way...there is ONLY ONE bicycle shop within 200-miles of my home, or town! 100 or more motorcycle shops...ONLY ONE BICYCLE SHOP! (many do 'dual service', but choppers take top priority). So...does it really matter WHERE it comes from, when you've got to AMAZON it to get the part, and YouTube it to see how to put it on the first time?
Best thing ANYONE can do, is 'garage sale' their bike...unless their name is 'Lance Armstrong'...because if you aren't MAKING MONEY WITH IT, you are dumping money in it!
(I think I'm going to order me a few dozen 'GIANT' stickers...put them on my next batch of 'I'm bored' garage sale finds...it's so fun 'polluting the used market'...especially when it gets to people who get so upset at NOTHING!) Ride it! IF IT RIDES GOOD, IT'S A GOOD BIKE! BUY IT, IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
Dude, pass the bong
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-06-22, 07:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Being the best bike brand at Walmart does not change that.
Is there such a thing at Walmart?
Old 04-06-22, 07:54 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by donnaeastman
Thanks!The design is pretty simple but looks durable though. I'm planning to get a new one since the last bike I had was lost.
How do you lose a bike?
Old 04-06-22, 07:59 AM
prj71

You may know how to weld...but it appears you don't know a lot about bicycles and economies of scale.

Last edited by prj71; 04-06-22 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-06-22, 08:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by prj71
You may know how weld...but it appears you don't know a lot about bicycles and economies of scale.
Or paragraphs.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-10-22, 05:55 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
It . GOOD ENOUGH! Now, I'm going to tear it down...and play with 'other stuff on it'...off with the rim brakes, on with discs. T!

Interesting
Likes For DMC707: