Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gloves for Sub-Freezing Road Rides? Electric?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Gloves for Sub-Freezing Road Rides? Electric?

Old 11-26-21, 06:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
What size bar mitts you have. Do you just match up
your glove size. Ie. Med for Med gloves.
do bar mitts come in sizes? my gloves I just buy for my hands. I can wiggle the big gloves into the bar mitts but I usually use smaller thinner gloves w/ the mitts. it's a delicate balance, just warm enough not to sweat. my hands warm as I ride so I sometimes bring a 2nd pair of gloves with me that are lighter & change 1/2 way thru my ride

I guess these are called "middle" & I could see using larger ones on the MTB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess for the drop bars I got large
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

but they both seem just right

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-26-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-26-21, 07:09 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Hi OP - Winnipeg winter rider here. Go with mitts when it is cold. Make sure you get ones that are windproof and with a bit of gauntlet to them. Make sure there is air space around your fingers. The coldest I've ridden was -35c at which point the headset didn't want to turn properly. That headset behavior is sort of a temperature limit and a telltale to just not bother riding - kind of like a built-in thermometer. I suppose repacking with low temp grease for the headset would solve that problem but who the hell wants to ride at that low a temp anyways.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 11-26-21, 09:35 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I've been using a pair of Performance winter gloves, from 35 years ago....so I popped for a pair of these Tasco MTB gloves.
I don't ride below 40 degrees, so I'm hoping these suffice.
https://www.tasco-mtb.com/collection...her-mtb-gloves
Old 11-28-21, 10:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Update:

The Sealskinz gloves arrived yesterday. I charged the batteries and went for ride today with them. Here is a (preliminary) review.

The fit and quality is fine. Seems similar to other cool/cold winter bike gloves. They DO work in that there is definitely heat in the back of the hand and all 5 fingers. The battery is in the cuff of the glove on the PALM side so there is some extra bulk/pressure in that area. It could be an issue if you have tight cuffs on your winter jacket.

Today's ride was fine, I started the gloves at HIGH for just a minute or two to warm up, then dropped them to MED for the rest of the ride. It was probably not a fair trial, as starting temps were around freezing and although stayed around freezing for the first 2 hours, it was probably not cold enough for a full try. My hands were comfortable (but not warm).

I will have to wait for a really cold day (with temps well below freezing) to see how they hold up. Given how the wind seemed to negate the warmth, I am not certain I will be comfortable in really cold temps but I will withhold judgment until I give them a try.
Old 12-02-21, 05:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Warbird21
I've been using a pair of Performance winter gloves, from 35 years ago....so I popped for a pair of these Tasco MTB gloves.
I don't ride below 40 degrees, so I'm hoping these suffice.
https://www.tasco-mtb.com/collection...her-mtb-gloves
those do look good. so tempting. please let us know how you like them & what you think of their sizing. I see XL on their website but only up to "L" on Amazon

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-02-21 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-02-21, 07:51 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I got the 45Nrth Sturmfist 4 gloves a few years ago and use them in the 0-20F range with good results. Above that they get a little warm, but I can remove the wool inner gloves to get a little more on the upper range if need be. My max ride at 0F has been an hour and while not toasty warm when I got home, my hands were fine.

And everyone's different. My daughter runs about 20 degrees colder than me so they'd probably be more in the 20-40F range for her. (When we've gone out on tandem rides in cooler weather, she asks what I'm wearing and then adds layers as appropriate. :-)

45Nrth Sturmfist 4 gloves
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 12-02-21, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
My max ride at 0F has been an hour
haven't ridden that low. but when it gets colder, my rides get shorter
Old 12-02-21, 08:16 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
The bar bits internally routed cable dual position versions let you use all the positions on a drop bar. flats your hand wont be in the bar mit.

as far as heated gloves go its the core you need to keep warm. I would get a heated vest and wear good arm warmers, well and I would use bar mitts but to each their own I guess. I have noticed everyone I have ever meet that makes up reasons for not using bar mitts realizes they were wrong once they use them.. They are not a complaint free item I will admit that but the few complaints people ever make are followed by yeah but my hands are warm and dry....
Old 12-03-21, 09:27 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haven't ridden that low. but when it gets colder, my rides get shorter
Yeah, isn't that the truth. Back when I was young and could do anything, I set off on a 10 mile commute in the dark at -10F with a couple of inches of new snow overnight. I came close to throwing in the towel on the winter biking after that one but then realized it didn't have to be all or nothing. -5F for half an hour is about my limit these days on the cold end. We just don't have THAT many cold days around here so it gets easier to wait them out each year rather than tough it through them.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 12-03-21, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
it gets easier to wait them out each year rather than tough it through them
every year we have some storms & then we see the wrecks getting reported & I wonder how many of those ppl had the option to sit it out at home. old guys know stuff. when I was younger I was always out in it. drove my parents nuts
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-06-21, 06:58 PM
Warbird21

those do look good. so tempting. please let us know how you like them & what you think of their sizing. I see XL on their website but only up to "L" on Amazon
My Tasco MTB gloves showed up today. I'm a little disappointed. I'll be shocked if these keep my hands warm from 45 down to 40 degrees (where I tap out). Just thin, unlined neoprene. I already have a pair of full Pearl Izumi gloves, which have gel inserts (the Tasco's do not). See the Pearls and my ancient Performance gloves, which are twice as thick. They seem well made, but I'd say run a little small. I measured my hand and used their chart for the Medium size, which are quite snug.

Likes For Warbird21:
Old 12-06-21, 08:10 PM
rumrunn6

My Tasco MTB gloves showed up today. I'm a little disappointed. I'll be shocked if these keep my hands warm from 45 down to 40 degrees (where I tap out). Just thin, unlined neoprene. I already have a pair of full Pearl Izumi gloves, which have gel inserts (the Tasco's do not). See the Pearls and my ancient Performance gloves, which are twice as thick. They seem well made, but I'd say run a little small. I measured my hand and used their chart for the Medium size, which are quite snug.

thank you. maybe you can use them as a glove liner in a bigger glove. I don't like gloves that don't fit right. maybe you can buy a large & also a very thin pair of glover liners, poly or silk or another thin fabric
Old 12-06-21, 09:24 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Update:

The Sealskinz gloves arrived yesterday. I charged the batteries and went for ride today with them. Here is a (preliminary) review.

The fit and quality is fine. Seems similar to other cool/cold winter bike gloves. They DO work in that there is definitely heat in the back of the hand and all 5 fingers. The battery is in the cuff of the glove on the PALM side so there is some extra bulk/pressure in that area. It could be an issue if you have tight cuffs on your winter jacket.

Today's ride was fine, I started the gloves at HIGH for just a minute or two to warm up, then dropped them to MED for the rest of the ride. It was probably not a fair trial, as starting temps were around freezing and although stayed around freezing for the first 2 hours, it was probably not cold enough for a full try. My hands were comfortable (but not warm).

I will have to wait for a really cold day (with temps well below freezing) to see how they hold up. Given how the wind seemed to negate the warmth, I am not certain I will be comfortable in really cold temps but I will withhold judgment until I give them a try.
you did not use my recommendation? mine work fine in the wind and rain. though they can take time to dry.
Old 12-07-21, 05:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
you did not use my recommendation? mine work fine in the wind and rain. though they can take time to dry.
I looked at them too. The ones I got are similar.
Old 12-07-21, 10:57 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Experimenting with DIY heated gloves I can now see why a lot of them tend to be a heavy gauntlet style as that's the most practical location for the batteries. I wanted to be able to layer or use with bar mitts so I made a pair of thin heated gloves with the batteries separate.

Having the batteries separate you run into all sorts of issues.
  • Difficult to plug them in while wearing them (I'm tempted to track down some magnetic connectors)
  • Have to unplug them when you take them off unless you add a jacket cuff tether
  • Excess cable poking out in order to have it long enough to be able to put them one while plugged in (cable could snag on branches etc)
Battery placement in itself is a challenge. I found they flopped around too much on my jacket sleeve so I put them inside my jacket and ran extension cables through the inside of the sleeves. I have the controllers separate from the battery, currently they are velcro attached at the cuff but I could put them with the batteries. I've got 2 different controllers I'm trying at the moment, one is the 3 setting push button, and the other something I slapped together from a PWM dial motor controller.
Likes For gecho:
Old 12-07-21, 03:16 PM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Pogies. That's it. I ride in the extreme cold of Canada eh.
Likes For canuckjgc:
Old 12-09-21, 03:46 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
This is what you need

Plunger Mitts-Black Seal Fur

https://yukonart.ca/products/plunger...hoCOvQQAvD_BwE
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 12-31-21, 07:53 PM
Warbird21

I saw the Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves mentioned earlier in the thread, at a nearby shop, but balked at the $90 price.
I found a new pair on Ebay for $40, so looks like I'm set for what ever cold weather Maryland throws at me.

Likes For Warbird21:
Old 01-04-22, 01:42 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I'm another fan of the Pearl Izumi AmFib Gloves. Mine are a couple years old with the 4-finger design. I can happily ride for a couple hours with temps well below 0F ... frequently -10 to -25F. And for truth in posting, I run hotter than the average rider.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-04-22, 01:50 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned, but I didn't look too closely... I buy chemical warming packets for my hands and toes. The toe ones are easy - I stick them to the insoles under my toes. The hands ones are just loose inside your gloves/mitts, and in my experience you need to pay some attention to pull your hands partially out of gloves when possible to warm your fingers, but this is not necessary with mittens.

https://www.peaveymart.com/clothing/...ceCategoryCode=

At $1-$4 per outing this probably isn't a great solution for a daily commute, but for occasional recreational winter rides, or only the coldest rides, they work well and the cost isn't much.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-05-22, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm another fan of the Pearl Izumi AmFib Gloves. Mine are a couple years old with the 4-finger design. I can happily ride for a couple hours with temps well below 0F ... frequently -10 to -25F. And for truth in posting, I run hotter than the average rider.
frosty! what is that ice/frost collected on? neck gaiter?
Old 01-05-22, 08:51 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
chemical warming packets At $1-$4 per outing this probably isn't a great solution for a daily commute
big fan here, mostly for the feet. I commuted year round 1 year & learned to reuse them. upon getting to work I put them in air tight plastic bags w/ no air. they worked just as well for the ride home. I don't remember using them on multiple days. but for approx.1 hr in each direction, they worked just fine
Old 01-05-22, 09:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
frosty! what is that ice/frost collected on? neck gaiter?
Yeppers! Heavy breathing in sub-zero (F) temps creating frost on surfaces around the face.

I started a thread for frost beard ... https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...st-beards.html
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-05-22, 09:29 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
big fan here, mostly for the feet. I commuted year round 1 year & learned to reuse them. upon getting to work I put them in air tight plastic bags w/ no air. they worked just as well for the ride home. I don't remember using them on multiple days. but for approx.1 hr in each direction, they worked just fine
I took my fat bike out on Monday w/heat packs in my gloves. Next morning I pulled the packs out of my gloves and threw them in my pocket to discard when I got to work. When I pulled them out to dispose they had re-heated to warmer than when I was biking the previous day.

I will try the ziplock bag thing next time if I remember.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-22-22, 09:36 AM
Warbird21

Well, I was pleasantly surprised with the cold weather comfort from the Tasco MTB gloves. They are great down to 40 degrees (I didn't ride colder than that temp). I was skeptical because they didn't have a lot of bulk and offer good tactile feel for buttons on my Garmin, etc.
I had purchased a pair of the Lobster claws, but I likely won't ride in cold enough weather very often.