Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

MTB Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 04:06 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
MTB Pedals

I've been running Speedplay Frogs on my roadie for years. Really like the easy clip in and out and float. Alas, they are no longer being made and cleats impossible to find.
I have tested out some Time ATAC XC8 but not real wild about them.

I want a pedal that offers a ton of float, easily adjustable entry and exit without having to fight it so much. The Time pedals are close but I think the entry force is higher than I want. (I've also been using the 10 degree Easy Cleats.). I prefer a MTB pedal for the easy walkability of the cleat, plus I already have the shoes and don't want to invest in a road shoe.

Suggestions? I've been looking at the HT T1 line.

Thanks...
Old 03-05-22, 04:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Almost all the roadies I ride with use one of the SPD models. For various reasons, my bikes have 3 different versions mounted. They all work just fine, though each has its strengths.
Old 03-05-22, 04:47 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
This sucks, cuz I also run frogs on both my mtn and road/cross. One pair of shoes, same pedals. I've had them for years so I am thinking I should have a second pair of cleats somewhere. Unless I wore them out already. I have zeros on my road bike.

I'd be interested to see if there are similar pedals out there.
Old 03-05-22, 06:17 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I had Shimano SPDs for many years and believe they were all 4º to 6º.
Old 03-05-22, 06:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
I used SPD mountain bike pedals on the road bike for a few years. I switched back to Look road pedals after my feet started having problems and I think the Looks give more support but I still use SPDs on the mountain bike. They don't have a lot of float but it seems like enough to me. I think the middle price SPDs are a fine product and will take a lot of abuse.

If I was to go back to SPDs for the road I would go with a higher quality shoe than I used in the past.
Old 03-05-22, 09:15 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Crank Bros. eggbeaters. I have those pedals on three of my bikes (an old MTB, an old roadie, and an old touring/commuter) and those cleats on two pairs of my cycling shoes (cycling sandals and some MTB shoes). I rode Shimano MTN SPD pedals/cleats in the 1990s and hated them. They were always hard to clip in and out due to grit and grime and it drove me nuts. My other two bikes have Speedplay road pedals (X1 and X3 I think?). Those are sweet pedals but the cleats are not really walkable.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 03-05-22 at 09:19 PM.
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 03-05-22, 10:10 PM
hbsyncro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have been using Shimano SPDs since they came out. I actually still have those pedals and they are going strong (rebuilt once). Those first models had no float. Anyway, I have 6 bikes and they all have the same pedals. The shimano SPD are bomber and have enough float for me. I have tried CB Eggbeaters on a borrowed bike for a 24 hour MTB and I had no complaints. They were very similar to SPDs, but a slightly different cleat and I wasn't about to change all my pedals for the same performance. Speedplay road cleats are a joke to walk in.
Old 03-06-22, 03:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Eggbeaters are pretty floaty and easy to clip in/out
Old 03-06-22, 07:28 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I like the Shimano PD-M540 pedals. I find it easy to get my foot in the correct location to clip into the pedal and more than enough lateral movement so no issues alignment. I too prefer the "MTB" type shoes that allow for safe walking. I first started using them for long tours as I could leave my tennis shoes behind and travel lighter. That was before the advent of mountain bikes and all the specialty gear being made for them.

I bought some 3-pin Ultegra R8000 pedals but found the cleats a pain for walking when I was off the bike and reminiscent of the metal cleats I had nailed on to my Italian bike shoes when I first started do serious riding. I got lots of attention with the "taps" on my bike shoes when entering a store or cafe but they were also very very slippery for walking.
Old 03-07-22, 01:19 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I like SPD pedals, and use XTR pedals on everything but my road bike (I’ve always used Look pedals on that one). I like the shoe options for SPD cleats, the XTR pedals are well made, easy to get in and out of, are light, and small, so they are close to the Speedplay pedals in that regard.
Old 03-07-22, 12:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

SPD pedals have improved greatly over the years and I find the newer ones to allow for more lateral movement and still keep my cleats in place on hills and are easier to release my shoes when I need to do so. As was mentioned the number of shoes for 2-pin cleats is limited and even more so for Look compatible shoes.

Sizing is also not uniform even with a single manufacturer. Some Shimano shoes at size 45 were shorter than ones size 44 and it was a trial and error process with many shoes to finally find a pair that fit properly. I finally bought a pair of Shimano ME5 shoes in sizes 44 and 45. Although I have worn size 44 shoes for decades it was the size 45 with the ME5 shoes that fit properly and that I kept.
Old 03-07-22, 10:11 PM
nesdog

Just for the heck of it, I ended up buying the HT T1, which I mentioned in the OP I was interested in. I have not received them yet.

Of course, now that I look at the pix of them, they seem huge compared to my Frogs and Time pedals. That makes sense since the T1 actually have more of a cage. They are also somewhat heavier, about 3 ounces. So naturally, I'll stress on this until I ride them!

Will report back once I get these mounted and tested.
Old 03-09-22, 06:56 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Just for the heck of it, I ended up buying the HT T1, which I mentioned in the OP I was interested in. I have not received them yet.
Yes, let us know how you like them. I used Frogs for years on my mountain and gravel bikes but was forced to switch when they were discontinued. I ended up with the Look x-Track and I like them a lot. While I liked the float of the Frogs, the downside was that they didn't provide much of a platform and my shoes tended to flop around. I'm enjoying the better platform on the x-Tracks and finding I don't miss the free float.

By the way, not only are new Frog cleats selling for ridiculous prices, but so are old pedals. I made some nice coin selling my old Frog stuff (and it was to an e-bay reseller who I'm sure sold them for double what he paid me).
Old 03-09-22, 10:18 AM
nesdog

Originally Posted by Dino_Sore

By the way, not only are new Frog cleats selling for ridiculous prices, but so are old pedals. I made some nice coin selling my old Frog stuff (and it was to an e-bay reseller who I'm sure sold them for double what he paid me).
Hmmm...I've got two pair of old Frogs, one is only a year old. Might be worth selling those off. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-10-22, 11:09 AM
nesdog

Received the pedals today. Nice looking product. Will mount them when I get a chance. You know, they are about 1/4 pound heavier than my Frogs and a few ounces more than the Time's I'm testing. I know it shouldn't matter but it bugs me....sigh....that will push the overall weight of the bike into the mid 18 pound range, I'm guessing. Oh well..
Old 03-10-22, 02:08 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I bought an extra pair of Frogs awhile back. Wish I had bought more. When it's time for new pedals/cleats I have no idea what I will do. Bummed.
Old 03-11-22, 06:07 PM
nesdog

Well, today I mounted the HT's and tried them out. Good thing I only wore a tennis shoe on one foot, because unclipping was nearly impossible! The clip in was easy but the angle required to get out seemed pretty wide. I'm not sure if that is because the pedal is brand new and still needs to be broken in a bit. I use the Easy Cleat for the Time's that only needs 10 degrees to hit the release point. I'm guessing these new pedals are closer to 13 or more.

Changed the angle of the cleat slightly a few times but not much luck. So put the XC8's back on and will play around with this a bit more over the next week. Somewhat of a let down....was really looking forward to the new ones.
Old 03-12-22, 09:58 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I ride Crank Brothers Candy's on my road and mountain bikes. Easy in, easy out. Small cleat that makes it easy and comfortable to walk in MTB Shoes. They shed mud easily which is important when riding a Mountain Bike in the winter here in the Pacific Northwest. Definitely a lot of float and not as secure as full roadie pedals. Just depends on your preference.
Old 03-13-22, 12:41 PM
nesdog

Updating: rode the Time XC8's yesterday for 17 miles. These were the ones I originally purchased to replace the Frogs. They seemed tight for a few rides so I opted to get the HT's.

Well, the XC have loosened up, and were fairly easy to clip in and out, with the release angle at 10 degrees, it's pretty simple. I will continue to ride these for a while. I didn't realize they needed break in, which my Speedplays never did. So perhaps got the HT's too quickly. Have to check the return policy. Dang..
Old 04-05-22, 06:00 PM
nesdog

Update: April 5. I've been riding the XC8's for a little over a month. Clip in and out has gotten easier. One of the issues I've had is that there is really no platform to this model, so when taking off from a red light, dead stop, they don't allow for easy spins while getting into the cleats. The Frogs had a bit more surface area and this was rarely a problem. I'm having a bit of foot discomfort as well which may be because the contact point is smallish.

So now I'm considering picking up a pair of XTR M9020's or the Look X-Track pedals. The Looks are less expensive, use the SPD cleats and have a nice appearance. They also sport a decent size platform. Will let you know how I make out!
Old 04-10-22, 02:48 PM
Calsun
Banned

I put Shimano PD-M540 SPD pedals that are supposedly "mountain bike pedals" on one of my road bikes. No issues with float and there smaller size I find makes it easier to get my shoe diretly over the attachment point. They are double sided which I also find easier to clip in either side.

I went from nail on cleats and toe clips and straps to the first clipless road bike shoes and it was a big step forward. With the metal cleats it was tricky to walk on pavement and down steps without taking a spill. The SPD-SL cleats were a big step backwards and small wonder that they are still a niche pedal. Having to put on rubber booties to walk around with SPD-SL cleats only makes sense for someone with weak feet.
Old 04-10-22, 08:17 PM
nesdog

Opted to get the Look X-Track Race Carbon. One ride so far of just a bit under 30 miles. Wow, the clip in is smooth as butter and the exit about the same (using Look's EZ Cleat). The larger platform than the XC8's is welcomed and was very nice. I always felt the XC's under my foot unevenly while the Look felt solid and well controlled. When taking off after a traffic light, even if I fumbled a bit on the entry, the platform provides a good surface to keep pedaling anyway. Weight of 350 for the pair is a bit higher than I'd like (the Frogs were about 250 and the XC's about mid 280's. However this is just a difference of a few ounces overall. These may be the keeper.

Last edited by nesdog; 04-10-22 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-30-22, 10:42 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you have not sold these yet, please DM me. thanks!
Originally Posted by nesdog
Hmmm...I've got two pair of old Frogs, one is only a year old. Might be worth selling those off. Thanks for the idea!
Old 04-30-22, 10:47 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I ordered Xpedo GFX Neo pedals to try. I prefer 2-bolt cleats and I use pedal extenders. There are not as many pedals that have flat spots to use the 9/16" wrench instead of the 8mm allen wrench!