Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles - Salt Lake City

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-12-22, 11:10 AM
jbalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all!

I tried hunting around for any beta on a route between LA and SLC, but have yet to find anything.

Does anyone have some resources that be able to tell me about any potential routes or do any of you have any ideas?

Cheers
Old 05-12-22, 12:43 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
What are you looking for? Interstate 15 goes straight through. If you want to take your time, there's no end to the long way. Without going very far off, you should consider going over the Hoover Dam, and to Grand Canyon NP, and Zion NP.

Last edited by greatbasin; 05-12-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 12:44 PM
jbalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
What are you looking for? Interstate 15 goes straight through. If you want to take your time, there's no end to the long way. Without going very far off, you should consider going over the Hoover Dam, and to Grand Canyon NP, and Zion NP.
I’m looking for as direct as possible but avoiding i15. Is the best to go through vegas or is there a way around?
Old 05-12-22, 12:49 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Salt...34.0522342!3e1

This one goes through Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, and Mojave also. Just drag the route off I15 and to add other destinations.
Old 05-13-22, 10:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
If you want more detail on the front end, you might check out Adventure Cycling's Route 66 out of Santa Monica, and pick up their Grand Canyon Connector to head north. I suspect U.S. 89 is the best way to go north once you hit it (unless you want to check out a few other parks in southern Utah). @greatbasin's suggestion to take UT 28 is probably a good one. Once you get to Utah Lake, there's supposed to be a MUP that'll take you to within a mile or two of the Tabernacle in SLC. I'm not sure if it's finished all the way south, though.
Old 05-16-22, 12:00 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I’ve driven it enough times. Foothill Blvd to the old 66 (which runs alongside I-15) will get you to Victorville and Barstow. It used to be you could follow much of old 66 to Kingman or Flagstaff and head toward SLC from there on highways 89, 160, 163, and 191. Going up from Flagstaff toward Mexican Hat you can make your way to Bluff (the inspiration for “Radiator Springs” in “Cars”, very beautiful) and ride up through there, its much more scenic (and less hot) than going up via Vegas. I spent my younger years on the Big Rez, and used to travel with the rodeo, I used to know all the roads in the region.
Old 06-01-22, 05:33 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Ummm--are you planning this adventure for the hotter months of the year?