Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frustrated with cycling clubs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Frustrated with cycling clubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 01:19 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't understand your point.

Given a substandard road width, which is every road I ride save for the primary thoroughfares with shoulders, a driver must enter the opposing lane to pass safely. The driver must do that whether riders are two abreast or single file. How is the driver inconvenienced by the two abreast pair? Is the driver is not inconvenienced, why are the riders rude?
i think i stated it very clearly:

Originally Posted by mschwett
what i see more commonly on the relatively narrow roads i ride on is that the shoulder + lane or single lane on the uphill side is plenty wide for a car plus a bike with the requisite 3’ between them. riding side by side forces the car into the oncoming lane...
most roads i ride on are like this: a car can safely pass one bike without endangering the cyclist or a cyclist or car in the oncoming lane. two cyclists next to each other, which serves no purpose on a road like this other than being able to talk, as far as i can tell, forces the passing cars into the oncoming lane.

i typically ride alone but when i ride with my daughter, her instinct is to ride next to me to chat, and it absolutely 100% produces FAR more car conflict. but she's 10 years old. so i just remind her that what she's doing is dangerous.

maybe we ride on really different roads or something. in case this is somehow not clear, here's an actual road, ridden on most all my longer rides, which many in the bay area will be familiar with:

Last edited by mschwett; 05-20-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-20-22, 06:05 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
i think i stated it very clearly:

most roads i ride on are like this: a car can safely pass one bike without endangering the cyclist or a cyclist or car in the oncoming lane. two cyclists next to each other, which serves no purpose on a road like this other than being able to talk, as far as i can tell, forces the passing cars into the oncoming lane.

i typically ride alone but when i ride with my daughter, her instinct is to ride next to me to chat, and it absolutely 100% produces FAR more car conflict. but she's 10 years old. so i just remind her that what she's doing is dangerous.

maybe we ride on really different roads or something. in case this is somehow not clear, here's an actual road, ridden on most all my longer rides, which many in the bay area will be familiar with:

If two cyclists riding side by side "force car into oncoming car or cyclist to pass", then it's obvious that it isn't safe to pass to begin with. The driver of the car is putting the cyclists, other drivers, and himself in danger.

I usually ride FRAP, unless I am aware of a vehicle approaching from behind while one is coming in the opposite lane. Then, I will move LEFT a bit to take the lane and prevent the driver from attempting to squeeze by me. If my state adopted the "3 feet" law, this wouldn't be necessary (legally) although I would still do it for my own safety. Just imagine a car coming downhill, attempting to pass a slower, solo cyclist riding FRAP. He would force the car "sharing your lane" to swing right. Where do you go now?
Old 05-20-22, 08:42 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If two cyclists riding side by side "force car into oncoming car or cyclist to pass", then it's obvious that it isn't safe to pass to begin with. The driver of the car is putting the cyclists, other drivers, and himself in danger…
agreed, I’m not defending the passing car at all in that case. their impatience doesn’t justify an unsafe pass. but the unsafe pass wouldn’t be necessary if the uphill cyclists were both in the shoulder / bike lane.

your downhill pass example is interesting, but i’ve never actually seen it happen in the many, many, many times I’ve ridden this road and dozens like it. when the road is such that cars go way faster than bikes downhill, they put shoulders/bike lanes on both sides, or none at all and the road is just unsafe AF for bikes period.
Old 05-20-22, 11:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Even if you can manage to get 75 guys to comply on every inch of the ride, you still might not avoid any angry drivers who has to pass such a long line without an incidence.
Wouldn't 75 cars on the same stretch of road ball things up, too? This starts to sound like a C&V discussion on who has more rights on the road.
Old 05-20-22, 04:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts

We do indeed ride on very different roads. With shoulders like that, I completely agree. My apologies for glossing over that part when I read it.

My roads have no shoulder. Not infrequently the white line is grown over with grass in some places and broken away from the road in others. And if the county hasn't had the mowers out in a while, you can get long grasses that hang out over the edge of the road. A bit painful if you catch you ankles on that stuff. So even a solo rider has to be over a foot off the edge.