Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aria Drag Brake install?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aria Drag Brake install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 01:20 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Aria Drag Brake install?

Hi, I just scored a brand new Arai Drag Brake and have a question. My tandem uses DT Hugi 95 rear hub. The NDS axel end pulls off. Do I enlarge the backing plate hole so I can fit this through? Just not sure what to do. Thanks.

Old 05-23-22, 03:18 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

The solution is to machine out the hole in the backing plate to 16mm and then slip the axel extender through to reconnect with the axel.
Old 05-23-22, 07:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
And "machine" is a nice way of saying "drill". Andy
Old 05-24-22, 08:10 AM
Freerojo

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And "machine" is a nice way of saying "drill". Andy
Andrew, I was also thinking of having threads cut on the axel extender to be able to use a locknut against the backing plate once I have the wheel mounted back into the frame. Does that make sense or should I use “spacers” instead and rely on the quick release to put pressure on the back plate?
Old 05-24-22, 08:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I'm no DT hub expert (and haven't worked in a tandem shop for 12 years) so my reply might not hold water.

It seems that the brake's backing plate (the part that holds the shoes and has the reaction arm extending from it) needs to be held in place WRT the axle and the drum part. All the tandem hubs (Shimano, Phil, Suzue, Hadley and others) I have worked (or used on my tandems) on have some sort of threaded manor to do this. I wonder if the Hugi hub has an optional end cap which better holds that backing plate in place. It's hard to see in the photos whether the axle stub (that the end cap fits on) can contact the backing plate's inner surface, and if so do so in the right distance WRT the drum. Weer that to be the case then an end cap with a shorter length (shorter by the backing plate's thickness) could be held in place by just the QR skewer's clamping. A bit awkward during wheel removal/installing but shouldn't be an issue when riding. Andy
Old 05-24-22, 09:42 AM
Freerojo

Just to reiterate I was planning to…
1) Drillout backing plate hole to16mm
2) Reinsert Axel end extender through hole to connect with axel
3) Cut threads on Axel extender for lock nuts to contact backing plate (once the wheel is mounted on the bike) and lock into position and then hook up the cable and reaction arm.
Old 05-24-22, 02:46 PM
Freerojo

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I'm no DT hub expert (and haven't worked in a tandem shop for 12 years) so my reply might not hold water.

It seems that the brake's backing plate (the part that holds the shoes and has the reaction arm extending from it) needs to be held in place WRT the axle and the drum part. All the tandem hubs (Shimano, Phil, Suzue, Hadley and others) I have worked (or used on my tandems) on have some sort of threaded manor to do this. I wonder if the Hugi hub has an optional end cap which better holds that backing plate in place. It's hard to see in the photos whether the axle stub (that the end cap fits on) can contact the backing plate's inner surface, and if so do so in the right distance WRT the drum. Weer that to be the case then an end cap with a shorter length (shorter by the backing plate's thickness) could be held in place by just the QR skewer's clamping. A bit awkward during wheel removal/installing but shouldn't be an issue when riding. Andy
what is “WRT”?
You are correct that is the axel stub in the hole and doesn’t come close to reaching brake plate.
Old 05-24-22, 03:42 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Freerojo
what is “WRT”?.
..With Regard To..
Likes For Davet:
Old 05-27-22, 02:52 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Freerojo
Andrew, I was also thinking of having threads cut on the axel extender to be able to use a locknut against the backing plate once I have the wheel mounted back into the frame. Does that make sense or should I use “spacers” instead and rely on the quick release to put pressure on the back plate?
The Arai on one of my bikes is set up with spacers, and held by the QR pressure. It was set up to simply float when I got the bike. The reaction arm keeps it from moving too far, even if the Pac-Man mount on the NDS chainstay is a bit loose.

The remaining methods on how this is commonly done are outlined in the cross post of this thread.