Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For cleat’s sake!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

For cleat’s sake!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 07:41 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
For cleat’s sake!

Bought my first ever pair of clipless shoes and cleats at end of September (as well as first bike in about 15 years) and have worn them out already having cycled 1,500km.

I noticed them looking very worn within a week or two (the yellow grippy parts almost entirely gone). I thought I was probably having some extra wear as not used to clipless, but the left shoe failed completely after ten weeks. Luckily was close to a mate’s house who had a set to replace them with.

The new set (also Shimano) already look really beat up after about a week.

I went out and bought four new pairs of cleats (thinking it must be routine to replace them every quarter), but have since found out four pairs of cleats should last me a decade! Haha I know now that they should last at least two years/up to 5,000 miles.

So what am I doing wrong?

In terms of walking in them I do maybe 50 metres from the bike shed to changing rooms at work, four or five times a week. The 50 metre return involves walking down three flights of stairs. Are they so fragile that that amount of walking is the problem?

Attached are pictures of my first set of cleats after ten weeks and the new set after one week.

Thanks!

Original

Original

One week old
Likes For Cramic:
Old 12-17-21, 08:27 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
My experience was similar. After years of SPDs, I tried SPD SL and road shoes earlier this year. I never got comfortable with them and didn't see an advantage over SPDs and A600 single sided pedals. I went back to the SPDs in a few months when the first set of cleats wore out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-17-21, 08:31 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
They aren't for walking, at all. Carry a pair of cleat covers.
Old 12-17-21, 08:44 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
They aren't for walking, at all. Carry a pair of cleat covers.
+1. Rubber covers are cheaper than 1 pair of name brand cleats.

I walk in mine for short distances if I don’t have covers with me and my cleats do not wear-out so fast. Maybe my choice of the older Looks are thicker and potentially more durable. A case of ‘old tech’ being more durable than comparable ‘new tech’? IDK.

edit: cleat covers go just above the leg band on cycling shorts when riding.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-17-21 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-17-21, 09:04 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Switch to a system where you can you use recessed cleats.
Old 12-17-21, 09:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I am baffled that your cleats are wearing that fast. I use the same system on my road bikes, and see nothing like that.

Even though you have already invested in SPD-SL, you should switch to SPD pedals and shoes. The recessed cleats last a long time, even if you are doing much walking on them. Oh, and they're easier to walk in.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-17-21, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If you walk much at all in them, then get covers or SPD cleats. I've been exclusively SPD on my road bikes since 2010 and haven't had a cleat wear out yet before it was time for new shoes which come with their own shiny new cleat.
Old 12-17-21, 10:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Dragging one foot when coming to a stop? Walking and drafgging your feet? I used SPD SL for years on the road and racing on the track. I don't ever remember actually wearing out a pair of cleats. That includes walking in them. It looks like you're trying to wear them out.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-17-21, 10:36 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
The cleats on my SIDI shoes have at least 14,000 miles on them. (New in early 2020, still riding with them.) I’ll try to remember to get a pic. They’re not even close to the OP’s pics, though.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 12-17-21, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Might they be fake Shimano cleats?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-17-21, 11:00 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Bought my first ever pair of clipless shoes and cleats at end of September (as well as first bike in about 15 years) and have worn them out already having cycled 1,500km.

I noticed them looking very worn within a week or two (the yellow grippy parts almost entirely gone). I thought I was probably having some extra wear as not used to clipless, but the left shoe failed completely after ten weeks. Luckily was close to a mate’s house who had a set to replace them with.

The new set (also Shimano) already look really beat up after about a week.

I went out and bought four new pairs of cleats (thinking it must be routine to replace them every quarter), but have since found out four pairs of cleats should last me a decade! Haha I know now that they should last at least two years/up to 5,000 miles.

So what am I doing wrong?

In terms of walking in them I do maybe 50 metres from the bike shed to changing rooms at work, four or five times a week. The 50 metre return involves walking down three flights of stairs. Are they so fragile that that amount of walking is the problem?

Attached are pictures of my first set of cleats after ten weeks and the new set after one week.

Thanks!

Original

Original

One week old
Wear looks way excessive. I usually replace my yellow SPD-SLs every couple of years/12000 miles and, while I don't hike in them, I don't obsessively avoid walking in them either - and no cleat covers. The yellow feet don't contact the pedal when riding, so it must be the walking.
First thing I would do is do the cleat cover experiment - get some covers and use them for as much of your walking as possible for a few weeks - it's likely that this will solve the problem.
The other possibility is that they're lower quality knockoffs. Where do/did you buy them? There are any number of "SPD-SL-compatible" cleats on-line - some clearly not Shimano, but I imagine that some are actual knock-offs. The fact that a pair of the real thing can cost up to $30, there's real incentive for knockoffs. I'm happy to buy most things online, but I'm always willing to pay the LBS premium for real cleats.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 12-17-21, 11:21 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
14,000 miles.

Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 12-17-21, 11:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

"These boots aren't made for walking..."

Old 12-17-21, 05:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
what the hell are you walking through that would cause that much wear, a shredder? I used SPD-SL's for a few years and outside of a little wear on the front pads, they looked practically brand new after 5-6K miles. If you are seeing that much wear, I would wear a pair of slip on shoes to where you park your bike, they will run maybe $10 and last a long time, or move to a MTB pedal system like Time ATACs or SPD types.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-17-21, 06:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Get a pair of these. Kool Kovers Cleat Covers Products
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-17-21, 07:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
+1 Not only will your cleats last a lot longer but you less likely to slip and park your butt on the convenience store linoleum.

I carry my Kovers on a carabiner hung from a seat rail. (The small, cheao REI carabiners.) Looks dorky but a good place for an item that might have stepped in ????.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-17-21, 07:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It does not take many steps to ruin the spd-sl pedals. I like those and the spd's, both used on road bikes. I use the spd type much more these days. I stop more often and walk more steps than I used to. I have the covers for the sl, which work well, it is just easier to use spd style. I don't prefer one over the other for clipping in or out; or foot stability, comfort or heat spot issues. I keep spd-sl on my Airborne Zeppelin with cleat covers in a top tube bag.

I do not know if this is normal, I suspect not, but both of my pairs spd-sl shoes are wider in the toe box than any of my spd shoes. I do like that.
Old 12-17-21, 08:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Use platform pedals with non-cycling shoes.
Old 12-17-21, 09:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Are you a very large, heavy person, or is the (likely) concrete that you're walking on extremely rough?

I don't walk a ton (more than 20' I'll get on the bike) but I don't baby the cleats either, & they seem to last a couple of years.
Old 12-17-21, 10:54 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I've done a hike through like half a mile of sharp gravel that was a ~15% uphill grade and I still didn't even wear my cleats 10% that bad. You're either *very* heavy or you're dragging your feet like crazy.

make sure to walk primarily on your heels. I could see stairs doing this if you're slipping the cleats on the stairs. I usually walk sideways on stairs to reduce this.
Old 12-18-21, 11:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I’m just reiterating what others have said above…that cleats aren’t made for walking, and that you should keep some cleat covers with you for when you do have to walk in them (i.e. flats, breakdowns mid-ride). From from the pics you posted it’s clear that you’re walking in them way too much. The screws and washers/plates securing them to the shoe aren’t the least bit rusted or tarnished yet. And also word of advice…if you end up getting cleats that don’t have the softer rubber parts…walking on tile or smooth cement floors can be hazardous…like walking on ice.

Dan
Old 12-18-21, 07:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
My guess is I only got 3,000-4,000 miles before most of the yellow was gone from my left (down foot) cleat. I'm close, but not quite, a Clyde. Usually put a foot down two or three times in a 60 mile ride. Maybe a few yards in and out of a convenience store. Obviously I was rough on them somehow. I never thought to be careful with them. Most of my friends use "road" pedals, either SPD SL or Look, I haven't heard much chatter about cleats wearing out. Maybe squirrels got in the garage and gnawed them....
Old 12-18-21, 07:14 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Regular SPD pedals are fine. After using Time, Look, Speedplay, and other types, I eventually gravitated to ordinary SPDs. They are the longest-lasting and most economical, not to mention giving you a much wider range of shoe options. Cleat covers do work, but are one more thing you have to carry, and they are easily lost.

Last edited by 50PlusCycling; 12-19-21 at 01:47 AM.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 12-18-21, 07:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
you're supposed to use athletics shoes when participating in those marathon , & then swap the footwear when hopping on the clipless pedals.

as it has been posted, try some protective covers.
Old 12-18-21, 09:20 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! Seems mystery isn’t quite solved, but will certainly get myself a set of covers.

To address a few comments:

I’m 100kg/220lb, so heavier than many cyclists no doubt. I do tread lightly though and don’t drag my feet. When running you can’t hear me coming (except the laboured breathing!).

To my knowledge the cleats are genuine Shimano products. First set came with my new shoes and were fitted in the Giant store.

So will start with the clear covers and see if that solves the problem! Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.