Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walmart vs Local Bike Shop Assemblers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart vs Local Bike Shop Assemblers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 10:31 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe
because
Based on shelbyfv’s assembly of the OP’s apparently trolling threads, and his refusal to defend his stance in his OP…why can’t a moderator ban him?

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-24-22 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-24-22, 10:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Now this is a better winter discussion!

Grill the hot dogs and wrap them with Pretzel dough, bake and you have heaven on earth!

https://thefoodcharlatan.com/homemade-pretzel-dogs/
BBQ hotdogs wrapped with crispy bacon & then topped with a smoked parmesan cheese.
Old 01-24-22, 10:43 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
BBQ hotdogs wrapped with crispy bacon & then topped with a smoked parmesan cheese.
OH, that does sound good!
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-24-22, 12:17 PM
DyingAndDying
RespectIsEverything

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe

because
I'm not trolling.
Old 01-24-22, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Now this is a better winter discussion!
Grill the hot dogs and wrap them with Pretzel dough, bake and you have heaven on earth!
https://thefoodcharlatan.com/homemade-pretzel-dogs/
I think that recipe says roll them, then boil them? regardless, sent that to Daughter, she would do this THANK YOU!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-24-22, 12:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by DyingAndDying
I'm not trolling.
So it's just a significant lack of knowledge and understanding about bicycles then?
Old 01-24-22, 01:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I'm not trolling.
Didn't say you were. Someone asked why folks thought you were trolling, I provided the answer.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-24-22, 02:54 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I prefer my hot dogs grilled rather than boiled. what was this thread about?
mustard no ketchup.....right?!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 01-24-22, 03:55 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
OP...you're not mechanically inclined in the least, are you? How much experience do you think the average 'assembler' at Target has? The 4 mechanics (myself included) at the shop I work at have nearly 100 years combined experience. Honestly...and without thinking too hard...who do you think would do a better job of building a bike?

not a good metric.
Old 01-24-22, 04:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I'm not trolling.
You are.
You just don’t know it.
I’m Ron Burgundy?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 01-24-22, 08:24 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
not a good metric.
Why not?
Old 01-24-22, 08:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I'm not trolling.
You should go with trolling, since that implies insincerity. If your post was sincere, well...wow.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-24-22, 08:56 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Why not?
Because extremely minor assembly of factory new items in accordance with instructions is pretty trivial compared to sub-componenent-level diagnosis and repair. Think a few hours training, vs vs decades of experience.

Now, if the "assembler" is also expected to be QC for the factory, we might be getting to something.

But it's economically stupid to do QC at the far end of the shipping chain vs the origin end, unless you're hoping that most issues are disappointing but never returned sales.
Old 01-24-22, 10:30 PM
spelger

Why not?
4 guys with 25 years experience each = 100 combined years of experience.
100 guys with 1 year experience each = 100 combined years of experience.

i'll take one of the guys with 25 years of experience over the guy with one any day.

truth be told, if the 4 guys have all the same exact experience then there is really only 25 years of experience, its not like they have a 100 years of knowledge, they have the same knowledge.

i always laugh at radio ads with this stupid metric.
Old 01-25-22, 07:29 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts

i'll take one of the guys with 25 years of experience over the guy with one any day.

truth be told, if the 4 guys have all the same exact experience then there is really only 25 years of experience, its not like they have a 100 years of knowledge, they have the same knowledge.

I'd be more concerned that there might be one guy who has been there forever..... And the other three are total rookies.
Old 01-25-22, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Well, if you're going to nit-pick the use of the metric when the poster's point was obvious (see your "I'll take" comment above where you basically concede the point he was making), you're absolutely wrong about that. Four people with 100 years total experience does not mean they each have 25 years experience--one of them might have 50 years experience and the other 3 might average 16.66 years experience. Truth be told, it's highly unlikely that 4 people would have been doing this exactly 25 years each. So, assuming that the other mechanics can consult with each other, does the shop have 50 years experience or 25 years?

In this instance, your nitpick is really pointless as knowing there are 4 mechanics with a total of 100 years experience tells you this is a small shop with at least one mechanic who has 25+ years of experience. You seriously believe that the learning curve on bicycle repair is such that the difference between 25 years and 100 years experience makes any difference at all?
Old 01-25-22, 11:10 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, if you're going to nit-pick the use of the metric when the poster's point was obvious (see your "I'll take" comment above where you basically concede the point he was making), you're absolutely wrong about that. Four people with 100 years total experience does not mean they each have 25 years experience--one of them might have 50 years experience and the other 3 might average 16.66 years experience. Truth be told, it's highly unlikely that 4 people would have been doing this exactly 25 years each. So, assuming that the other mechanics can consult with each other, does the shop have 50 years experience or 25 years?

In this instance, your nitpick is really pointless as knowing there are 4 mechanics with a total of 100 years experience tells you this is a small shop with at least one mechanic who has 25+ years of experience. You seriously believe that the learning curve on bicycle repair is such that the difference between 25 years and 100 years experience makes any difference at all?
It is a silly metric. i gave two examples. there are many others as Reflector Guy pointed out. it was not my intent to list them all. your example is yet another.

i agree, the posters point was obvious but the use of the metric is very misleading. what am i wrong about exactly?

speaking of nitpicking...can't you ever let something just go? is this really that big of a deal?
Old 01-25-22, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It is a silly metric. i gave two examples. there are many others as Reflector Guy pointed out. it was not my intent to list them all. your example is yet another.

i agree, the posters point was obvious but the use of the metric is very misleading. what am i wrong about exactly?

speaking of nitpicking...can't you ever let something just go? is this really that big of a deal?

Actually, yes, I think it is a big deal when somebody chastises another poster over a ridiculous nit-pick--it's a cheap-shot "gotcha".. You're wrong to point it out because it wasn't a context where the criticism over the choice of words made any sense as you knew damn well what he meant. As for your examples, I can take pretty much any figure of speech and do a reductio ad absurdum on it to try to make the other guy look foolish, but it's a pretty crappy thing to do. You get no points for doing it, and you invite nit-picky retaliation to demonstrate just how ridiculous you're being.

As to your last line, you pot, me kettle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-25-22, 01:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
It killed me that, at a recent garage sale, we got more for my wife's Schwinn BSO (bought 20 years ago from target) that I just gave up on keeping adjusted than we did for the LBS-brand kids' bikes that I'd kept true and well adjusted through a lot of hard use by the kids. On the other hand, I was immensely glad to have the Schwinn out of my garage so I'd never have to think about it again. Also glad that I no longer have to deal with trying to get the chuck on the valves of all those little wheels (the 12" balance bike was the worst).
Old 01-25-22, 02:10 PM
spelger

Actually, yes, I think it is a big deal when somebody chastises another poster over a ridiculous nit-pick--it's a cheap-shot "gotcha".. You're wrong to point it out because it wasn't a context where the criticism over the choice of words made any sense as you knew damn well what he meant. As for your examples, I can take pretty much any figure of speech and do a reductio ad absurdum on it to try to make the other guy look foolish, but it's a pretty crappy thing to do. You get no points for doing it, and you invite nit-picky retaliation to demonstrate just how ridiculous you're being.

As to your last line, you pot, me kettle.
I actually have a lot of respect for cxwrench, i've learned a lot just by reading many of his responses/posts to others with mechanical problems. In fact, i believe he has helped me out in teh past and i hope he continuse to help others out, our community benefits from it. my comment was never meant as a "gotcha" like you believe. And if my original response (not a good metric) is considered chastisement then i don't really know what to say about that.
Old 01-25-22, 02:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I actually have a lot of respect for cxwrench, i've learned a lot just by reading many of his responses/posts to others with mechanical problems. In fact, i believe he has helped me out in teh past and i hope he continuse to help others out, our community benefits from it. my comment was never meant as a "gotcha" like you believe. And if my original response (not a good metric) is considered chastisement then i don't really know what to say about that.

How about "stupid metric"? Post 39. Seems more than a bit chastisey to me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-26-22, 04:26 AM
Troul 

sometimes reading simple humor or just reading someone's perspective on a subject that may or may not be mechanically related can be just as beneficial. Forums tend to offer more than just what someone is asking help with, they offer a community of resources, helps others with taking there mind off things, puts some pieces in the right puzzles just out of chance.
If all a forum is for someone, is to, give answers to direct questions, then maybe a technical manual & reaching out to the OEM for that particular item would be better suited? Then, let us know how that turns out.
Old 01-26-22, 06:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I think that recipe says roll them, then boil them? regardless, sent that to Daughter, she would do this THANK YOU!
https://www.mashed.com/213934/the-re...n-baking-soda/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-26-22, 09:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
sometimes reading simple humor or just reading someone's perspective on a subject that may or may not be mechanically related can be just as beneficial. Forums tend to offer more than just what someone is asking help with, they offer a community of resources, helps others with taking there mind off things, puts some pieces in the right puzzles just out of chance.
If all a forum is for someone, is to, give answers to direct questions, then maybe a technical manual & reaching out to the OEM for that particular item would be better suited? Then, let us know how that turns out.

If you actually trace this little dust-up back, you'll find that spelger got indignant only because I nit-picked his nit-pick. He can't have it both ways, either it's ok and not a big deal to nit-pick or it is a big deal and people should let stuff like that go without nit-picking it. He went out of his way to "correct" someone, he should learn to take it better when someone corrects his correction.

And for that matter, the post I reacted to used the word "stupid", something the bit you quoted didn't acknowledge.
Old 01-26-22, 10:12 AM
Troul 

If you actually trace this little dust-up back, you'll find that spelger got indignant only because I nit-picked his nit-pick. He can't have it both ways, either it's ok and not a big deal to nit-pick or it is a big deal and people should let stuff like that go without nit-picking it. He went out of his way to "correct" someone, he should learn to take it better when someone corrects his correction.

And for that matter, the post I reacted to used the word "stupid", something the bit you quoted didn't acknowledge.
fwiw, i didn't intend a targeted post. Only a general post in hopes to reach those that miss the point of these forums.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.