Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Change one thing, what else needs adjusting?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 03-29-22, 12:12 PM
Josh235

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. My flexibility has increased and I’ve been able to drop my stem by 10mm, is there anything else bike fit wise that should be adjusted along side the stem? Saddle position etc?
Old 03-29-22, 12:49 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I would not think so, it would ever so slightly increase your reach but not enough to be noticed.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 03-29-22, 01:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
You might find that you want your saddle fore/aft or tilt a tad different. But don't change it till you have actually determined that you need too. If most of your riding is short rides, then you might also try to do a 2 or 3 hour ride to see what that's like. Most of my issues show up after 40 or 50 miles. For the first 30 miles I can put up with most anything.
Old 03-29-22, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Trying to get your post count up? <grin>

Change on thing, what else needs adjusting.

Welcome to BF!
Old 03-29-22, 01:34 PM
Kingtim6

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You might find that you want your saddle fore/aft or tilt a tad different. But don't change it till you have actually determined that you need too. If most of your riding is short rides, then you might also try to do a 2 or 3 hour ride to see what that's like. Most of my issues show up after 40 or 50 miles. For the first 30 miles I can put up with most anything.
Totally agree with you. Plus, adjust your seat height so that when the pedal is in the down position, your leg is fully straightened at the knee joint. Good luck
Old 03-29-22, 02:08 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
merged duplicate threads

Old 03-30-22, 01:22 AM
Josh235

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! I left a few details out just to see what the initial responses were.

The bike in question had been fitted to me prior to the stem drop and I had no issues. However now when I spend more than 10mins on the hoods or drops I get a numb groin. Is this likely to be a secondary effect of the stem drop or saddle?
Old 03-30-22, 12:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Josh235
Thanks for the replies everyone! I left a few details out just to see what the initial responses were.

The bike in question had been fitted to me prior to the stem drop and I had no issues. However now when I spend more than 10mins on the hoods or drops I get a numb groin. Is this likely to be a secondary effect of the stem drop or saddle?
Might be both, might be one. I'd think you might want to change your saddle tilt a tad.

The numbness is completely new and you never got it before with this saddle? Didn't change to a different brand bike short with different chamois?

It's possible you might need to change the saddle for one with a different cut-out or profile from nose to rear.

It's something you absolutely need to figure out. Don't put up with that.
Old 03-30-22, 03:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingtim6
Plus, adjust your seat height so that when the pedal is in the down position, your leg is fully straightened at the knee joint.
Your leg needs to be slightly bent, not fully straight. That would be way too high and almost certainly cause injury.
Old 03-30-22, 03:31 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
If you didn't change your seat height or tilt, getting lower is likely to put more pressure on your pubic bone and the pubic nerve and artery, which could tip you into numbness, all other things being equal. If you tilt your saddle to far forward, your arms will have to do more work to keep you on the seat. I mean that's just geometry.

Of course, geometry isn't always conclusive. Many Brooks riders tilt the nose up a bit to keep from sliding off without causing numbness....