Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

VT State Parks New Reservations Policy

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 02:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts

Noticed today that you can now reserve for 1 night Sundays through Thursdays starting March 1st. Previously, 2 nights were required even during the week. Nice change.

https://vtstateparks-visit.com/
Old 05-16-22, 09:07 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
If you're arriving by bike, foot, or kayak to the Vermont State Parks, you can call them and book for one night any day of the week. We camped at 3 or 4 state parks last year on our tour. I hope that rule hasn't changed.

Another tip: make sure to book sites with the wooden shelters. They cost a bit more but you're protected from the rain.
Likes For niknak:
Old 05-16-22, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by niknak
If you're arriving by bike, foot, or kayak to the Vermont State Parks, you can call them and book for one night any day of the week. We camped at 3 or 4 state parks last year on our tour. I hope that rule hasn't changed.

Another tip: make sure to book sites with the wooden shelters. They cost a bit more but you're protected from the rain.
Hmmmm. Didn't know that and don't recall seeing it on the website.

Yes. The lean tos are an awesome amenity. I have stayed in one twice at one park and another at a different park. I still pitch the tent to keep bugs at bay, but no need to stake it out. If I can pull off my planned trip early next month I will stay at 6 of them. Ft. Dummer (before the start), Jamaica, Wilgus or Mt. Ascutney, Silver Lake, Stillwater and Brighton. Stayed at Silver Lake in '99 crossing the country and then again in 2010 during ACA's Cycle Vermont. We also stayed at Brighton during the latter.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-16-22 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-16-22, 01:26 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hmmmm. Didn't know that and don't recall seeing it on the website.

Yes. The lean tos are an awesome amenity. I have stayed in one twice at one park and another at a different park. I still pitch the tent to keep bugs at bay, but no need to stake it out. If I can pull off my planned trip early next month I will stay at 6 of them. Ft. Dummer (before the start), Jamaica, Wilgus or Mt. Ascutney, Silver Lake, Stillwater and Brighton. Stayed at Silver Lake in '99 crossing the country and then again in 2010 during ACA's Cycle Vermont. We also stayed at Brighton during the latter.
Ya, the website didn't provide that info. I called last year to see if there was a way to book 1 night spots and the person said only by phone.
Old 05-16-22, 05:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by niknak
Ya, the website didn't provide that info. I called last year to see if there was a way to book 1 night spots and the person said only by phone.
Finally was able to look at your trip report. I made a reservation at Prouty in Newport because it looked like it was filling up. Next day to St. Albans will be my last day of riding. I think I’ll too meander for that one before tackling Jay Peak.

BTW…When we stayed at Lake Carmi in 2010 it wasn’t buggy for us either. That was around the same time as your trip. The GF and I actually had a campfire and wore long sleeves. But that was then. A few days ago it hit 89 in Burlington. I spent two days there last September the weekend after Labor Day during a two week trip south. It was unseasonably warm and humid, even in the southern Berkshires of MA. Things finally changed in Copake, NY.