Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

New to Racing? Here's a tip or two

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

New to Racing? Here's a tip or two

Old 03-19-08, 07:10 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edonis13
is there a universal website for race pre-registration? or what the hell do i do if the only info i can find about a race is the race name, date and city its in?
bikereg.com has most events.
Old 03-19-08, 08:06 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4076 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
active.com has most of the others.
Old 03-19-08, 08:19 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there a universal website for race pre-registration? or what the hell do i do if the only info i can find about a race is the race name, date and city its in?
Use the google. Most races around here are on neither of the above listed sites.
Old 03-19-08, 08:24 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Also, a number of areas will have a site with races for the area, e.g. www.floridacycling.com
Old 03-19-08, 08:56 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelmc
bikereg.com has most events.
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
active.com has most of the others.
It depends on the area. Around here there aren't very many events on bikereg or active.
Old 03-19-08, 09:02 AM
michaelmc

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix LTD, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
It depends on the area. Around here there aren't very many events on bikereg or active.
Interesting... is there some other primary source?
Old 03-19-08, 09:05 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here, there really isn't one. In this area, that I know of, there are:

wicycling.org
wisport.org
internationalcycling.com
ambikerace.com

plus the occasional one off
Old 03-19-08, 09:16 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its going to be regional. For us there are 4 different calendars (norcal, and 3 mostly overlapping socal) and they have links to the registration sites. Some are active, some are bikereg, some are sportsbaseonline, some are socalreg, and I think a few others as well.
Old 03-19-08, 11:37 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
If it's a USA Cycling permitted event, it'll be listed at usacycling.org. I find their site to be less than great for searching for events, but you may find ones that are simply not listed on main sites for your region.

cdr
Old 03-19-08, 12:10 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
If it's a USA Cycling permitted event, it'll be listed at usacycling.org. I find their site to be less than great for searching for events, but you may find ones that are simply not listed on main sites for your region.

cdr

Ehhhh not necessarily.

None of the SuperWeek races, the WI or IL state Crit and RR championships, and most certainly none of the smaller USAC races were listed on the USAC website last year.

Well, at least for me, when I logged on. Similarly, I never saw my results from any of those races posted on the USAC site.
Old 03-19-08, 12:10 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

To actually look for a race, I generally check out that region/state's home page.
Old 03-19-08, 12:27 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To actually look for a race, I generally check out that region/state's home page.
Where are those?
Old 03-19-08, 12:29 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by recursive
Where are those?
Mid-atlantic:
https://www.mabra.org/

Virginia Cycling:
https://www.vacycling.org/
Old 03-19-08, 12:36 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i checked that, active.com and bikereg.com.

there is no way to sign up for the races on the region homepage and active and bikereg dont have the races.

there is a phone number listed though. im guessing thats a number to call and register then. me = feels stupid.
Old 04-18-08, 09:07 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
QFT from this thread.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Sprint distance - I read somewhere that a rider can to 20 revolutions all out. I used to go to courses and ride backwards from the line in a gear I thought I'd use in the sprint. If I had a lot of time, I'd ride backwards in 2 or 3 gears. Count 20 revs, look for a landmark. I've done most of the races for so long I no longer have to do that.

Then one year I watched a whole boatload of Tour sprint finishes just before a target race (to sprint like a pro, observe them, that's my motto). I realized most of them went much, much shorter in the sprints, like under 15 revs. So I readjusted my landmark to 15 revs (felt uncomfortable doing 8 revs - seemed too short) and although I didn't win, I did fine.

A notable exception is the Champs sprint in the Tour - they always go over 20 revs. It might be downhill or something, seems like the jump is not as important as the sprint itself.

Jump/Lead Out or follow? This is dependent on your jump.

If headwind, you ALWAYS follow until whenever you think is way too close, then you jump. In a slow uphill sprint (33 mph) I waited until 50 meters to jump and won by a decent margin (I posted some pics in the suffering pics thread). Guys just wither in the wind.

Tailwind, try to leadout if you don't have a decent jump. If you have a decent jump and you can go quite fast before using it, follow. The first jumper has the advantage because they have less of a chance of blowing up and the draft is not as significant, esp if the jump pulls you clear. In tailwind sprints I've led out from as far as 300-400 meters on very fast slight uphill sprints (Gimbles, 120 sprint, 42-46 mph top speed, go almost right after the exit ramp lanes after the bridge).

How to improve jump - pick better parents. From my experience, it's about 95% genetics. I never trained for sprinting but when I was 17 I couldn't bench 100 pounds (I weighed 103 to be fair) but when asked to do a test jump at a club ride/clinic, I could go from a standing start in one gear to 42 mph. I couldn't climb nor TT but I dreamed that I could. After that clinic (no one else broke 40 mph) I became a designated sprinter. It took some convincing that I could sprint but after I won a few field sprints, I was convinced.

Failing that, there are a lot of guys who sprint incorrectly and therefore don't use all their jump. Jump, in my definition, is sort of like a combination of peak and 5 second power. If you have an awesome jump, you can gap virtually anyone 10-15 feet in two downstrokes, maybe even just one, so it'll barely register in 1s peak. Within 3 pedal strokes you will be 20 feet clear and going away. It usually takes 50-150 meters for non-jump type sprinters to catch up to a jump type sprinter after a jump.

1. Learn to shift while under 100% load. I usually shift on the downstroke when I jump. In other words I slam the pedals down as I shift one gear higher. At Bethel, a sprint that normally starts flatter, goes up hill, then flattens out, I'll sprint in as many as 5 different gears if I lead out. You MUST have a good chain installation (it'll break otherwise and you'll face plant spectacularly) and perfectly adjusted gears to do this. My gears are adjusted to shift into smaller cogs perfectly. I have to tickle the shifter to get it to shift into larger cogs sometimes but that's my choice. I don't want the chain to hesitate when I want it to drop down to a smaller cog. Novice mistake when practicing this is to shift more than one gear at a time. You have to learn to exert 100% force on the bars and pedals and still have a delicate touch on the shifter.

2. You absolutely must have your bars and shifters positioned correctly. Forget the jacked look (levers up high, bars tilted to point to the moon). I watched guys crash because they can't even brake from the drops - stupid, stupid, stupid, and the guy broke a bazillion ribs and he's a lawyer to boot (so he's not dumb). You must be able to shift and brake without moving your hands from your sprinting position. Absolutely no question about that. If you have to wiggle your elbow to reach something when you're in the drops, move that something.
My rant on this bit:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...hy-i-hate.html
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...for-crits.html
Second one shows my bar/lever angle and how my medium sized hands with short fingers reaches everything.

3. Work on pulling up really, really hard. Lift - bent over rows, curls, butterflys, dead lifts anything and everything that helps you pull up on the bars when you're bent over. I don't work on my legs unless you could very infrequent 90 pound squats and 45 pound leg extensions as workouts. I regularly do pull downs, curls, bent over flys, dead lifts, and core stuff - situps and crunches. I also do work to protect my precious shoulder area - military press, bench, etc. I found my top speed improved with this type of work. My jump really didn't though.

I know when I'm sprinting hard because my stomach gets really sore. This hasn't happened to me yet and so I know I have more sprint in me. My max wattage at Bethel hasn't broken 1300 watts, but I was well over 1400 at the end of a 5+ hour long hot ride in California. I can't wait to unleash a "real" sprint.

4. Sprint. First have a good base. This means you can do a 2 or 3 hour harder ride without feeling new twinges. All the fatigue is familiar. Your body isnt' adapting to that ride, simply dealing with it. Then you work on sprints. Do lots and lots of sprints, with some kind of leadout. Failing a leadout, work on starting on a slight downhill so you're going 30 mph without killing yourself. Ideally you should find a 2 mile loop you can do over and over.

When you start getting a bit queasy and tired, do a few more. When you think you simply can't get going for another, do a few more. You'll be surprised at how resilient your body is. On days where I thought I'd do 2 or 3 sprints and then stop, I've gone to do 30 sprints or more (contesting half of them). I learned I could jump up to three times in one sprint - it takes me a couple months of sprinting to get that second jump, another couple for that third jump. But using a three jump sprint, I could beat much stronger Cat 2s and 1s by coaxing them to go earlier than they wanted to go, then out jumping them when everyone was in the wind already. I haven't gotten past a 1 jump sprint since 1995 but I hope to progress this year. It's like a video game. Gotta earn those jump bonus badges

5. Positioning/Awareness/Tactics - you seemed to have placed high very early on. This is good. But you should still focus on positioning both during the race and just before the sprint. Learn how to stay out of the wind. I posted a comment on a thread but felt it deserved some expansion so here it is:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...t-of-wind.html

I'm glad that you say you got blocked in rather than saying "then I moved right, a bunch of guys went down, and I got second". Awareness during a sprint is critical. Sometimes you get boxed in - in those instances, it's often because you focus on the wheels directly in front of you. If you can look up just a bit, to the racers in front of them, then you'll find it easier to read the field. For example, when driving around a corner (exit ramp, bend in road, etc, where you can see the road for a while), I look around the corner, not at the curb at the apex. Much better awareness of what's happening up front. I learned this the hard way while autocrossing - my times were horrible until I looked 2-3 turns down the course. Suddenly I was much smoother because I wasn't focused on the cone 15 feet in front of the car.

A good way to practice this is night riding. Point the light up and forward so you can't see the 10 feet in front of you. You learn to read the road up there, not under your tire, and you focus appropriately. This is especially true when mountain biking. A very zen like approach, you simply go as fast as you can, reacting to whatever you see 40 feet in front of you.

You mention you marked the guy but he took off early. If you're on a wheel of a guy going at 500 meters, it's usually a good bet to go with him. He'll blow at 200-250 (given normal efforts) or you can blow by him at 50 meters to go. If you're not on his wheel then you may not have a choice.

Even if you're strong, you can't bluff on your strength. At some point you're going to deal with guys just as strong as you are and your bluffing will fail. Then your tactical savvy will affect your results, and if you're a strong dumb rider, your results will reflect this. I'm pretty weak as a rider, no matter how much I train, but I ride as smart as I can and I manage to get some places and even win a race here and there. My sprint helps, of course, since that's what I use to place, but smart riding never hurts anyone.

Unfortunately, it comes down to genetics for the all out jump. But by working the sprint, tactics, and technique, you can do a lot to overcome the jump.

cdr
Old 04-19-08, 04:59 PM
Hickeydog
Crushing souls

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ that can be summed up in these three simple rules:
1. Look cool
2. Don't die
3. If you can't follow rule #2, do not break rule #1 in the process.....

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Old 04-23-08, 05:35 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outstanding stuff here. The author reminds me a of a far less friendly CDR.

https://spokepost.com/news/story/1216/?catViewAll=4
Old 04-23-08, 05:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
i checked that, active.com and bikereg.com.

there is no way to sign up for the races on the region homepage and active and bikereg dont have the races.

there is a phone number listed though. im guessing thats a number to call and register then. me = feels stupid.

www.ncnca.org/road
Old 05-02-08, 01:50 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick question, which I know is somewhat personal-physiology dependent, about day before race rides ('leg openers').

My interpretation has been a ride, with intensity and short on length. I am just curious which seems to work best for people so I can try some different things.

Thanks for this thread; it has been immensely helpful.
Old 05-02-08, 02:08 PM
lachlanbike
Beware My Avatar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickel
Just a quick question, which I know is somewhat personal-physiology dependent, about day before race rides ('leg openers').

My interpretation has been a ride, with intensity and short on length. I am just curious which seems to work best for people so I can try some different things.

Thanks for this thread; it has been immensely helpful.
I think you'll find this thread helpful - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=401737
Old 05-02-08, 02:28 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect, thank you!! I knew I had seen something about this recently....

EDIT: Something that isn't mentioned is the time between the workout and the race the next day. I usually don't get home until 6 or 7pm so if I went out around 8pm and had to race at 9am, am I cutting too close?

Last edited by Nickel; 05-02-08 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:31 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

FINDING RACES

Go here: https://www.usacycling.org/events/index.php?race=Road

Click on the State you want to race in. Note that only USCF permitted races are listed.

If you want to go to your state's homepage (sometimes some other races are listed; e.g., in Michigan the Ontario races are sometimes listed):

https://www.usacycling.org/la/

Some of the states are combined, e.g., Mid-Atlantic (MABRA), Carolinas, New England...

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 05-13-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:51 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

RULEBOOKS

USA Cycling Rulebook.
Road/Track/CX Rulebook.

Among the things you didn't know: your jersey must cover your shoulders; you can't wear a jersey of a team you're not on (U.S. Postal, etc); Juniors can't have a roll-out of over 26 feet...
Old 05-17-08, 11:40 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Saw a pic from todays Giro, and thought of this:

If there's a crash DO NOT LOOK AT IT.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!

Old 05-17-08, 01:09 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
Saw a pic from todays Giro, and thought of this:

If there's a crash DO NOT LOOK AT IT.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!
Hmm, what if you think your team leader may have gone down and will need your wheel, or other support?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.