Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Platform Pedals Question (from someone who overanalyzes everything)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Platform Pedals Question (from someone who overanalyzes everything)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 10:18 PM
Mara789

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seypat
What are the plans after the tri? Are you interested in trying clipless in the future? Here's what I did. I bought the cheapest set of flat one side/SPD the other pedals I could find. Used will work for the shorter term. Search your local CL, Ebay whatever. You can use the flat side for the tri. Find the cheapest SPD shoes you can to try out clpiless. I went to REI and found a used/damaged pair. I only used them for a couple of weeks while I was giving clipless a try. Go out with one foot clipped in and the other on the flat side. Ride and rotate. Ride some more. Clip both feet in, or not. You'll find out if clipless are for you/not and still avoid most of the crashes. If you like them, then you can invest some more money. Contact your local tri club. Tell them what you're doing. Someone in the club might have some used shoes/pedals you can use for the process. Good luck.
Thank you for your suggestion! Honestly, I'm not sure what I will do after the tri. I'm having a bit of guilt related to the financial cost and the time commitment (I have three young children), so I may just continue solely for fitness/health without training for any races...
Old 03-30-23, 06:32 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Mara789
Thank you for your suggestion! Honestly, I'm not sure what I will do after the tri. I'm having a bit of guilt related to the financial cost and the time commitment (I have three young children), so I may just continue solely for fitness/health without training for any races...
If that's the case, go with some of the suggestions in the thread. If you have a bike Co-op in town, look for some there as well.
Old 03-30-23, 11:21 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Get the kids involved? My oldest was 8 when she did her first run/bike/run and got third overall, a 14 and 15 year old both beat her but most of the younger kids were on fairly cheap bikes. So she was last on the first run, crushed all but the two on the ride and got in quick enough to just stay ahead. Middle kid was 7 when they did their first kid's race in cyclocross and the youngest was 6 and last year was deeply disappointed that he broke his finger and couldn't race the kids races that most cross races have.
Mine are 8,10, and 12 and love MTBing, which there's always Xterra races, the two oldest can do the kids tri races now but I've stopped doing them. Cycling can be very open to kids racing. Course, it does start to get expensive when they grow through bikes but nice ones can be handed down. The only down side to them joining in is that they will kill your training schedule but watching them get faster is always good.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-30-23, 12:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why not find out what other triathalon participants are doing. Triathalons have been taking place for 50 years and no need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 03-31-23, 08:48 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
I'm having a bit of guilt related to the financial cost and the time commitment (I have three young children), so I may just continue solely for fitness/health without training for any races...
obviously a supportive family is a must - and supportive employer if you are working

and if you can establish a good relationship with a LBS (local bike shop) or a bike tech - this would be an asset also

I’m actually fairly familiar with the demands of triathletes - know many including a number of gals including mothers (one with 5 kids) ... a few have been doing triathlons for decades - competed in Hawaii (world championships) and are nationally ranked ... they are amazing

one of my close friends serviced many of their bikes for years and also built custom bikes for some .. taught them how to disassemble the bikes to transport and then assemble when they arrived at their destination

pasted a couple of links to articles - one article lists typical training weeks etc - other article is more recent (mother of 5)

https://archive.triblive.com/news/lo...man-triathlon/

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...xtreme-sports/

Last edited by t2p; 03-31-23 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-01-23, 07:35 AM
Mara789

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by t2p
obviously a supportive family is a must - and supportive employer if you are working

and if you can establish a good relationship with a LBS (local bike shop) or a bike tech - this would be an asset also

I’m actually fairly familiar with the demands of triathletes - know many including a number of gals including mothers (one with 5 kids) ... a few have been doing triathlons for decades - competed in Hawaii (world championships) and are nationally ranked ... they are amazing

one of my close friends serviced many of their bikes for years and also built custom bikes for some .. taught them how to disassemble the bikes to transport and then assemble when they arrived at their destination

pasted a couple of links to articles - one article lists typical training weeks etc - other article is more recent (mother of 5)

https://archive.triblive.com/news/lo...man-triathlon/

https://triblive.com/local/regional/...xtreme-sports/

Thank you for sharing!! 😊😊😊
Likes For Mara789:
Old 04-01-23, 11:49 AM
mara777

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnesotaSteve
I don't do triathlons, but I've put the Race Face Ride on all my bikes, and I am very impressed with them. Just regular shoes, they give good grip to your shoes, much better than say the old Wellgo metal framed pedals from 80s/90s.

The platforms with metal pins are better if you will be riding in rain or mud. Just don't slip and whack your shins on them as it hurts.

I've ridden SPD pedals in the past, and I don't know that I'd argue they give you more stroke, but they certainly do keep your foot in place right over the pedal spindle consistently. I would not recommend the dual platform style that have SPD on one side and regular shoe on the other except for casual riding. Those tend to be hard to use as whatever side you want will be on the other side and so you'll have to fumble a bit getting your foot back on the pedal, which I think would be annoying for a race.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

I haven't bought a pair of pedals yet, but I'm gravitating toward the ones like the race face ride that have no metal pins. I had old metal pedals at one point and I remember how badly my shins/ankles/etc would get cut up on them, so I'd prefer to avoid that kind of thing if I can 🤣🤣🤣

I have seen some people complain about the grip, but you don't have any issues? I don't plan to ride in rain/mud although I may ride sometimes while it's still wet outside.
Old 04-01-23, 03:15 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Most crashes are caused by relatively inexperienced riders using clip-in pedals and not being able to clip out in time and falling over. So there's nothing wrong with using flat pedals. Also I will say that I haven't been able to detect little if any effect a clip in has other than allowing you to pedal circles. This does not appear to actually increase your power but it does maintain a constant pedal velocity which probably helps climbing.

I will also expand on that - there are two kinds of crashes - those where a motor vehicle in involved and usually involves serious injury or death and the overwhelming majority of accidents which are "fall overs" caused by any number of things from flats to gravel on the road. These second kind are usually not violent and helmets don't "save your life" But they usually prevent minor and irritating head injuries and so helmets are a worthwhile addition to your kit. Please don't try to argue about helmets saving your life. While anything is possible I have a paper on still available on the Internet showing that it is so improbable that making helmets mandatory is unconstitutional.

https://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html

I checked the numbers two years ago and they still appear to be the same relationship.
Old 04-01-23, 05:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Most crashes are caused by relatively inexperienced riders using clip-in pedals and not being able to clip out in time and falling over. So there's nothing wrong with using flat pedals. Also I will say that I haven't been able to detect little if any effect a clip in has other than allowing you to pedal circles. This does not appear to actually increase your power but it does maintain a constant pedal velocity which probably helps climbing.

I will also expand on that - there are two kinds of crashes - those where a motor vehicle in involved and usually involves serious injury or death and the overwhelming majority of accidents which are "fall overs" caused by any number of things from flats to gravel on the road. These second kind are usually not violent and helmets don't "save your life" But they usually prevent minor and irritating head injuries and so helmets are a worthwhile addition to your kit. Please don't try to argue about helmets saving your life. While anything is possible I have a paper on still available on the Internet showing that it is so improbable that making helmets mandatory is unconstitutional.

I checked the numbers two years ago and they still appear to be the same relationship.
"While anything is possible" Yep, at least got that part right.
Old 04-01-23, 06:46 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

Helmet talk isn't allowed outside Advocacy and Safety's long-running Helmet thread.
Old 04-01-23, 09:16 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts

I will also expand on that - there are two kinds of crashes - those where a motor vehicle in involved and usually involves serious injury or death and the overwhelming majority of accidents which are "fall overs" caused by any number of things from flats to gravel on the road. These second kind are usually not etc…
That’s a whole lot of un-science right there.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-01-23, 11:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That’s a whole lot of un-science right there.
But but but ... he has a paper on the internet!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-02-23, 06:28 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Helmet talk isn't allowed outside Advocacy and Safety's long-running Helmet thread.
Thank you. Exactly right. Everyone, let’s keep this thread on topic or it gets closed
Old 04-02-23, 06:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
There's also Powergrips.

https://www.powergrips.com/
Old 04-02-23, 08:57 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Have you considered these?

https://pedalinginnovations.com/
Old 04-02-23, 09:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12759 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Or the mother of all monster pedals , Elliptigo SUB pedals. I'm not sure why they're only on the German site (as far as I can tell). I wonder what pedal strike would be like with these on a normal bike

https://www.elliptigo.de/en/shop/spare-parts/pedal-set-