Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seat Tube Lug - how to re-round it?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 03:17 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts

Got a circa '76 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2. When I picked up the frame I did notice the paint was chipped / cracked below the seat binder slot, below the seat binder bolt. The frame looked OK from the outside, just chipped paint.
At home my calipers are telling me the seat tube lug is no longer round: ø26.6mm across the frame (left - right); ø26.2~26.3mm front - to - back. It looks like over the past 40 year the seat binder bolts was over-tightened. .... surprise.....
- Can I make this hole round again? And how?
I've purchased a ø26.4mm post. I think with a great deal of enthusiasm I could work the post into the seat tube. Is there a better way? Smaller seat post? Some cool tool I don't have that I need? A 1in drift?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...-100647957-_-N
I can add a photo.
Thanks.
Old 09-22-18, 02:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
machined steel mandrel, Tapered?
(that looks a bit too steep a taper, but you can try it.. )

or if a standard ID like 25.4 ie one inch , I hammer in a steel tube seatpost..
[found a short one for BMX bikes] for a larger ID, use some shims
from like soda cans to get close to the needed ID.. wrapped around it.
Of course you are measuring things , right?
Leave a way you can hammer it back out.. via a slap hammer bolt thru the post ?

when close, maybe get a seat post 0.2 or so mm larger,
and use an adjustable hand reamer to shave 0.1mm of wall thickness out until this new seatpost fits
Use Cutting oil on the blades, and take your time.

I have done the reaming, shop tool ..
My 27.0 mm ID RB1 frame seat tube now, precisely, takes a 27.2mm seat post..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-22-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 10:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I prefer a slightly smaller steel post to do the rounding work. Step up to a slightly bigger size as it will fit. Tapered shafts with so larger a taper only work on the fat interface of the tapered shaft. Not the whole depth of the distorted lug. Reaming is a next to last step, removal of wall is to be avoided at all costs. This type of repair is one where less is more.

But I wonder if the distorted lug is holding the current post well already. Wishing for a perfect post/lug/tube fit is great but if the post doesn't slip then why fix something that isn't a functional issue? If you're just leaning that's cool, the frame is a pretty cheap one to mess with. Andy
Old 09-25-18, 05:58 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Thanks @fiestbob & @Andrew R Stewart

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I prefer a slightly smaller steel post to do the rounding work. Step up to a slightly bigger size as it will fit. Tapered shafts with so larger a taper only work on the fat interface of the tapered shaft. Not the whole depth of the distorted lug. Reaming is a next to last step, removal of wall is to be avoided at all costs. This type of repair is one where less is more.

But I wonder if the distorted lug is holding the current post well already. Wishing for a perfect post/lug/tube fit is great but if the post doesn't slip then why fix something that isn't a functional issue? If you're just leaning that's cool, the frame is a pretty cheap one to mess with. Andy
I got the frame with no post, so I purchased a new Kalloy UNO at ø26.4mm. I am pretty sure I can force it into the frame, but then I'll end up with zig-zag patterns all over the tube, something I want to avoid. If I can open things up a bit (0.2mm on the diameter) to get the post to go smoothly, that's what I'm after. (roger that on the tapered tools ~ I was looking at those adjustable chucking mandrels or some kind of expanding arbor. $20~$30..... not sure. My machining experience was long ago...)

I don't want to remove any wall thickness. In this case, less is more: less work = more safer.
I'm going to check out a tool shop here at work to see if they have anything I can gently move some metal with. I don't have a steel seat post available, and as you mentioned, it's not an expensive frame. I want to ride it and beat on it, not turn it into a show piece. (If I had the cash for an All City Nature Boy I would have gone that way for a steel single speed.....)

Last edited by mrv; 09-25-18 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 06:27 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Andrew R - I took your advice about the BMX seat post. All I had on hand was black pipe. My MITUTOYOs said the black pipe was between ø26.6~26.9mmø
So I filed the square edges into a slight taper and used a couple feet of Emory clothe to polish things a bit.
I tapped the pipe in an inch or so, removed, rotated 90 degrees, tapped in again. I didn't seem to split any steel, and the ø26.4mm fits smoothly, all 350mm of it.

I'm calling it good until I get my handle bar and I can take it for a spin.
Thanks for the help, Gents!

1 Seat binder bulge. Saw this before purchasing, but no cracks. No change after “repair”
2 Bike with seat!
3 ø26.4mm seat post installed
4 Black pipe filed and abraded

Last edited by mrv; 09-25-18 at 06:32 PM.