Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stop all the best beginner bike under $1000 threads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stop all the best beginner bike under $1000 threads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 03:20 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
And now I'll add "with this exact frame weight and weld shapes" to the title. The frame on the Giant is probably lighter to boot.
But the welds...
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 04-10-20, 05:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
IPlus they have popular riders on their bikes, I’m guessing Sagan moves a few units.
I know it works, but this seems so weird to me. Unless I get his MMP chart and handling skills (or heck, I'll take either, I'm not greedy!), I don't get why Sagan's bike would help me.
Old 04-10-20, 06:50 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I know it works, but this seems so weird to me. Unless I get his MMP chart and handling skills (or heck, I'll take either, I'm not greedy!), I don't get why Sagan's bike would help me.
It works the same way someone wearing a Lebron uniform is “helped” by the jersey. It’s just signaling is all.

Doesn’t matter if skills aren’t conferred, it’s a form of LARP’ing.

And it’s irrelevant if you and I think it’s corny, as there certainly are people out there buying things based on whether or not someone famous had that same thing.
Old 04-10-20, 09:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
... it’s irrelevant if you and I think it’s corny, as there certainly are people out there buying things based on whether or not someone famous had that same thing.
Michael Jordan makes a lot more from Nike than he ever made from the Chicago Bulls .....
Old 04-12-20, 08:56 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Interesting all the Specialized Hatred

It's interesting all the Spesh hatred out there! Ironically I am a Cannondale guy (bought multiple CAADs) but still think Spesh made a great beginner bike better than Cannondales.

Now someone upstream mentioned BikesDirect. I love BD (and love even more RandomBikeParts.com). But for a beginner the lack of resale ability for these bikes are a real issue.

Of the 20 or so beginners who I've advised to buy bikes over the last decade or so, I think only about 2-5 still ride.

I think we forget that this forum is very atypical. Sure we are all beginners once, but many beginners leave the sport after just a few years.
Old 04-12-20, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Of the 20 or so beginners who I've advised to buy bikes over the last decade or so, I think only about 2-5 still ride.
You've got a batting average like that and you still think that you're the new bike recommendation authoritay? Maybe you'd do the next person a solid by declining to advise.
Old 04-12-20, 09:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's interesting all the Spesh hatred out there! Ironically I am a Cannondale guy (bought multiple CAADs) but still think Spesh made a great beginner bike better than Cannondales.

Now someone upstream mentioned BikesDirect. I love BD (and love even more RandomBikeParts.com). But for a beginner the lack of resale ability for these bikes are a real issue.

I think we forget that this forum is very atypical. Sure we are all beginners once, but many beginners leave the sport after just a few years.
So which is a better idea for the "two year quitter?" Spending $300 on a BikesDirect bike that will eventually gather dust, or $700 on a Spesh that will do the same thing, but maybe net them $300 in resale value?

Buying a bike with an eye on resale is a terrible idea, as depreciation hits ~50% as soon as the pedals get turned.

A used 2019 Allez is worth about $600 in mint condition, and can still be found on dealer floors with a $1,000 pricetag. Go back to 2015, and they don't crack $400.
Old 04-12-20, 09:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Michael Jordan makes a lot more from Nike than he ever made from the Chicago Bulls .....
I did acknowledge in my most that it worked, prior to saying it's stupid.
Old 04-12-20, 09:33 AM
UsedToBeFaster

10 year period.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You've got a batting average like that and you still think that you're the new bike recommendation authoritay? Maybe you'd do the next person a solid by declining to advise.
I don't think it's that bad given were talking about a 10-year period.
Old 04-12-20, 11:27 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I don't think it's that bad given were talking about a 10-year period.
Yeah, the fact that you estimate perhaps 90% of the people who follow your recommendation give up cycling really speaks volumes about how well you do at giving buying advice.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-13-20, 12:03 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Old 04-13-20, 04:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Stop all the best anything threads. For just about any type of bike, bike part, accessory, clothing, etc. there are many choices with many attributes that differing levels of importance to a given user. To say one is best for your needs is fine. To tell people it's best for everyone is just wrong.
Read the post you quoted again. Carefully this time. There are two stops in there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-14-20, 06:59 PM
matt7082

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Enduro

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never ridden a road bike. I’m just trying to spend $1k as smartly as I can. Thanks to this Covid outbreak, I am quarantined on a navy base from now through the summer. Since I can’t go MTBing, I am shopping for an entry level road bike to get me through the season. As I said, I have never ridden a road bike, and know very little about them. I cannot leave the base to properly shop for a bike, so I am forced to shop online and have a bike delivered to me. I’ve settled on the Allez because I currently own a Specialized MTB and have had no problems with it. Also it is known to have a comfortable geometry which is what I am looking for. I do not plan to keep the bike after this season. However, I do t know what the future holds. This quarantine thing may last for me far longer than expected, and I may be forced to do a lot more road cycling than I ever thought I’d do.

With that being said, I am open to other suggestions. However, the local shop in the area deals only Trek and Specialized, and if I have any problems with the bike, the shop has offered to pick the bike up from me for repairs, etc. The Allez sounds like a good fit for me, but if I could find something with far more value, while staying in my price range, I am all ears.
Old 04-14-20, 07:04 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Spesh ran aground for me when they threatened to sue a coffee shop owner for daring to use the word "Roubaix" in his shop's name-- a word Spesh themselves appropriated from a town in France. Add to that some really awful dealer practices, and pricing their bikes to a prestige level they largely do not deserve, and Specialized never cracks my top ten for best of anything. The ride of any of their bikes I've swung a leg over I would classify as "unremarkable." They are the Honda of cycling, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. But they price like they're a boutique badge.
I agree and would love to boycott them, but my ass can't handle any type of saddle except specialized.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-15-20, 12:06 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My son's girlfriend just bought a Specialized and from what I saw on the Zoom-tail party yesterday it looked like an Allez. She spent around $1200 including some accessories. He's been riding it too and realized how much he's missing by using my 1980 steel bike. I tried to tell him that last year and he didn't want to hear it since it was free to him and I'd always kept it in top shape. I think he rode my carbon bike once, but because I use Keo pedals it was hard for him to get a good feel for it. He's a size 12 shoe and I'm a size 8 so he couldn't wear mine, and on top of that he's about 5" taller. I'd love to get my custom built Davidson back and have him get a modern bike. Maybe an Allez for him would fit the bill.
Old 04-15-20, 01:25 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I agree... stop all of the "best beginner bikes under $1000" posts. Please?
Old 04-15-20, 02:57 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So which is a better idea for the "two year quitter?" Spending $300 on a BikesDirect bike that will eventually gather dust, or $700 on a Spesh that will do the same thing, but maybe net them $300 in resale value?

Buying a bike with an eye on resale is a terrible idea, as depreciation hits ~50% as soon as the pedals get turned.

A used 2019 Allez is worth about $600 in mint condition, and can still be found on dealer floors with a $1,000 pricetag. Go back to 2015, and they don't crack $400.
Fair point. But I think the likes of the Allez etc. tips it in the favor of the named manufacturers since their frames are upgradable. The $300 (now closer to $450) beginner BD bikes (i.e. with Claris) also still don't have the nice features (full carbon fork, great paint job, internal cabling etc.) of the Allez and CAAD Optimo (CD's beginner bike).

The beginner BD bike I bought many moons ago was great but it was not upgradable at all. Even putting out a puny wattage I could induce FD rub when I was out of the saddle and the CF fork was a pig in many sense of the word.
Old 04-15-20, 03:02 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by matt7082
I have never ridden a road bike. I’m just trying to spend $1k as smartly as I can. Thanks to this Covid outbreak, I am quarantined on a navy base from now through the summer. Since I can’t go MTBing, I am shopping for an entry level road bike to get me through the season. As I said, I have never ridden a road bike, and know very little about them. I cannot leave the base to properly shop for a bike, so I am forced to shop online and have a bike delivered to me. I’ve settled on the Allez because I currently own a Specialized MTB and have had no problems with it. Also it is known to have a comfortable geometry which is what I am looking for. I do not plan to keep the bike after this season. However, I do t know what the future holds. This quarantine thing may last for me far longer than expected, and I may be forced to do a lot more road cycling than I ever thought I’d do.

With that being said, I am open to other suggestions. However, the local shop in the area deals only Trek and Specialized, and if I have any problems with the bike, the shop has offered to pick the bike up from me for repairs, etc. The Allez sounds like a good fit for me, but if I could find something with far more value, while staying in my price range, I am all ears.
Another option is BikesDirect.com They are best if you want to buy something under $500. They'll deliver for free in about 1-2 weeks.

I love bikes direct.com but a few cautionary notes.

a) You'll have to do about 30 minutes of set up yourself (seat, front wheel) etc. YouTube these steps or get someone to help you.
b) The components on bikes direct.com bikes are comparable to the named brands but *some* of the named brands have much much better frames (i.e. they are upgradable). The Allez is one of them.
c) Bikedirects.com bikes can be hard to sell as they don't have name recognition. I got very lucky and sold 3 at *above* what I paid to upgrade them (but that involved free parts and my labor).

Best of luck.
Old 04-15-20, 06:02 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
BD bikes always looked good in theory, but when I've seen them in person they look like junk. The branding with the old names doesn't help as everyone knows they are fake.
Likes For zacster:
Old 04-15-20, 08:04 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by zacster
BD bikes always looked good in theory, but when I've seen them in person they look like junk. The branding with the old names doesn't help as everyone knows they are fake.
They look like junk or they are junk.

I'm not bought one of their bikes for 5+ years but the one I bought (Motobecane Mirage) was a decently put together bike. Just that the frame was a bit flex.
Old 04-15-20, 09:32 PM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matt7082

I think it was mentioned in this thread earlier, Giant Contend AR 3.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-3
Old 04-15-20, 09:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't like any of the bikes mentioned in this thread. What else is out there?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-16-20, 06:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
BikesDirect sells solid bikes. The frames tend to be about two-four years behind the market, but then, the entry-level bikes from most manufacturers and a two-three years behind their own cutting-edge designs. The components are exactly what they say they are---the same parts on all the other bikes on the market. Generally BD will use an alternate crank set- and brakes --but still name-brand parts (FSA and Tektro, for instance.)

BD does not sell garbage bikes. They sell other-than-name brand bikes (or recycle old brands which people don't know anymore anyway) and don't spend any money on advertising, don't do any research and development,
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-16-20, 07:20 AM
UsedToBeFaster

I agree with everything you said except one issue. BD frames are made in the standard factories all major manufacturers use. Some of mine have been Kinesis frames. And as you say the components are standard Shimano/SRAM etc.

But the paint job on those bikes I've found to be really bad. I would lean it against a tree and find I had scratched it. Put it against something metallic (ie. just place it) and you'd hit bare metal. So I do think BD cuts corners on painting their bikes

Originally Posted by Maelochs
BikesDirect sells solid bikes. The frames tend to be about two-four years behind the market, but then, the entry-level bikes from most manufacturers and a two-three years behind their own cutting-edge designs. The components are exactly what they say they are---the same parts on all the other bikes on the market. Generally BD will use an alternate crank set- and brakes --but still name-brand parts (FSA and Tektro, for instance.)

BD does not sell garbage bikes. They sell other-than-name brand bikes (or recycle old brands which people don't know anymore anyway) and don't spend any money on advertising, don't do any research and development,
Old 04-16-20, 10:03 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Speaking of BD, this thread had me poking around over there.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...o-dt-swiss.htm

That's a damn good deal, the frame is whatever but it's actually all Ultegra plus pretty decent DT Swiss P1800 wheels for $1,600. I'd buy that in a second if I were in the market.

I would immediately replace those weird ergo drops they use, though. Hate those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.