Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is there a wrench for this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-25-22, 07:33 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts

This pic is of the seatpost bolt nut on my Univega Super Speciale. I've never been really successful holding it in place while snugging up the bolt. I've tried screwdrivers, nickels, chainring bolt wrenches. Nothing seems to work well. Of course, my seatpost slipped while out in the "wilds" of Michigan just now (a bit south of South Haven). I've done what I can to tighten it up, but suspect it will slip again (yes, I have the proper size seatpost).

Is there a wrench for this beastie? If not, I think something like JB Weld will hold it in place. If I was going to get the frame painted, I'd probably just have it brazed in place.

Old 07-25-22, 07:57 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I would seek a different bolt/nut is there something unique or proprietary about it?
Old 07-25-22, 08:05 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
That is an example of form over function (I am being charitable here).
Best replaced entirely, with something that will let you get a good grip on both ends.

You might find a bog-standard seatpost-bolt nut of the recessed variety will fit in the frame socket; if so file off the tang and cut it carefully to length, such that it bears on the internal flange of the frame-socket, not on the rim (leave a little gap there to allow for wear).
Old 07-25-22, 08:05 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Can’t you just get a new binder bolt, pretty cheap for cr-mo one on Amazon, or you could break the bank and get a Campy, either would look way better, and stop your seat post from slipping. If that were my bike, just the look of that thing, as it is, would drive me nuts.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 07-25-22 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-25-22, 08:07 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Don't mess with nickels, step up to a quarter. 😋😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-25-22, 08:15 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
almost looks like the back part of a chainring bolt, maybe try a chainring wrench
Old 07-25-22, 08:24 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Is there a wrench for this beastie? If not, I think something like JB Weld will hold it in place. If I was going to get the frame painted, I'd probably just have it brazed in place.
no idea about the wrench. Maybe find a suitable screwdriver and grind a notch in the middle so it could fit?
The suggestions to replace the bolt and nut with something more user friendly seem like a good idea too.

I'm really just here to suggest bearing retainer compound instead of JB Weld (even though I'm about to use JB Weld for a small job myself).
I suspect bearing retainer compound might provide enough grip to do the job while still permitting removal of the nut in the future.
Something like this perhaps?

It might be worth perusing the websites for the companies making threadlocking compounds, bearing retainer compounds, etc. They sometimes have charts or tools to identify the best product for a particular task.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-25-22, 08:26 AM
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
That "nut" is toast. I would replace with the double allen like above. If you're adamant about getting a matching replacement (assuming it's original) Ace hardware (if local) may have it. Grainger's, McMasters and other online sources certainly will have it. It's just a round slotted nut.
Old 07-25-22, 08:28 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I just remembered something, some bolt heads have a weird little tang, that sits in a notch, which keeps it from spinning. See if flipping it around might reveal that to you. 🤔
Old 07-25-22, 08:34 AM
smontanaro 

Thanks for the suggestions, even the more expensive monetary one. A nickel was the largest coin I had in my pocket at the time.

I was literally on my ride when I wrote (still am, at a coffee stop in South Haven), so hopefully you'll understand that details were kept to a minimum. The bolt and nut are meant for the seatpost binder. I doubt a Campy style binder bolt will work (though I have a couple to try back at home). The bolt itself is your normal diameter thing, while the Campy thing is much larger diameter. Frame surgery not gonna happen.

While I ride back to the beach house I'll leave you with a puzzle too solve. I think I know why it happened, but you get to speculate wildly. I test rode the bike before coming up. Everything was fine. When I set out on my ride this morning I heard this horrible grinding from down by the bottom bracket. "Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all!" I stopped and investigated a little. If I turned the crank, it made the sound once per cycle, no matter if I spun the crank forward or backward. I peeked they the bb shell window and was reminded that I have a Tange Seiki sealed bottom bracket, so that wasn't likely to be the cause. It took a minute to figure out what the problem was. The fix was pretty trivial.

So, two questions for the assembled experts. One, what was the problem? Two, what caused it? Hint: I use a Saris Bones rack. The first to answer both questions correctly will get a small bike-related gift in the mail.
Old 07-25-22, 10:45 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

So, two questions for the assembled experts. One, what was the problem? Two, what caused it? Hint: I use a Saris Bones rack. The first to answer both questions correctly will get a small bike-related gift in the mail.
The problem was, you were able to hear this "alleged" noise, and it was caused by you taking off your heavy winter hat too soon. 😋😁😉

I dunno, I keep thinking it was your pants leg hitting something, but you were probably wearing shorts. 🤔
Old 07-25-22, 10:52 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Strap from the Bones rack left hanging on the frame somewhere, hitting one of the crank arms as it goes by?
Old 07-25-22, 11:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Is that just a stripped out allen bolt that someone cut a screwdriver slot into?
Old 07-25-22, 12:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I think something like JB Weld will hold it in place.
That's what I did when I acquired my '82 Miyata 912. All it takes is a tiny, tiny amount so you can hammer it out later if ever needed. (Why you would ever do that, I don't know.)

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...post-bolt.html

Last edited by SurferRosa; 07-25-22 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-25-22, 01:38 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
It probably has something to do with the secondary strappy thing that stabilizes back and forth I presume? YOu forgot to detach it and it stayed on the seat-tube where it interferes.

Or the strap moved the front derailleur enough the pedal hits it.

Thanks for the suggestions, even the more expensive monetary one. A nickel was the largest coin I had in my pocket at the time.

I was literally on my ride when I wrote (still am, at a coffee stop in South Haven), so hopefully you'll understand that details were kept to a minimum. The bolt and nut are meant for the seatpost binder. I doubt a Campy style binder bolt will work (though I have a couple to try back at home). The bolt itself is your normal diameter thing, while the Campy thing is much larger diameter. Frame surgery not gonna happen.

While I ride back to the beach house I'll leave you with a puzzle too solve. I think I know why it happened, but you get to speculate wildly. I test rode the bike before coming up. Everything was fine. When I set out on my ride this morning I heard this horrible grinding from down by the bottom bracket. "Oh no, that doesn't sound good at all!" I stopped and investigated a little. If I turned the crank, it made the sound once per cycle, no matter if I spun the crank forward or backward. I peeked they the bb shell window and was reminded that I have a Tange Seiki sealed bottom bracket, so that wasn't likely to be the cause. It took a minute to figure out what the problem was. The fix was pretty trivial.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-25-22, 02:38 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
It probably has something to do with the secondary strappy thing that stabilizes back and forth I presume? YOu forgot to detach it and it stayed on the seat-tube where it interferes.

Or the strap moved the front derailleur enough the pedal hits it.
Good guesses, but nope.
Old 07-25-22, 04:13 PM
jo_lacs

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
almost looks like the back part of a chainring bolt, maybe try a chainring wrench
+1
Old 07-25-22, 04:28 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
You forgot to take the bike off the rack...
Old 07-25-22, 04:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Can’t you just get a new binder bolt, pretty cheap for cr-mo one on Amazon, or you could break the bank and get a Campy, either would look way better, and stop your seat post from slipping. If that were my bike, just the look of that thing, as it is, would drive me nuts.
Tim

"Break" being the operative word, regarding Campy seatpost bolts. They make them out of glass.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-25-22, 05:49 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I just remembered something, some bolt heads have a weird little tang, that sits in a notch, which keeps it from spinning. See if flipping it around might reveal that to you. 🤔
Yeah I thought those nuts had a nub on the backside. It may be intended to fit on the Left side of the bike ('non-drive side" for those who have trouble with right-left)

I have some nuts that are a plain cylinder with M6 thread and a 6 mm allen socket. They came with Gipiemme brake bridges, for recessed brake mounting. Not the normal "top hat" shape of brake nut though, just the cylinder without the flange. Oh right, here's a picture:

They are somewhat precious to me but I will sell one for $10 shipped in the US, if that'll help you. It'll leave me with one brake bridge without a nut, but I'm unlikely to use that bridge anyway...

One disadvantage of this type is the bolt needs to be just the right length. Too long and it fills up the allen socket; too short and you don't have enough threads engaged. A stainless bolt can be trimmed to just the right length without the cut end rusting, if that matters to you.

Dimensions 10 mm diameter, 10 mm long, 6 mm length of threads. Chrome plated.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 07-25-22, 05:59 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3429 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by jo_lacs
+1
He mentioned he tried a chainring bolt wrench in his very first post.
Old 07-25-22, 06:01 PM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
He mentioned he tried a chainring bolt wrench in his very first post.
Oops. My bad.
Old 07-25-22, 06:05 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
There are different sizes of chainring NUT wrenches (you use an allen wrench on the bolt....), but I think they're still all too large for the OP's purpose.

Burning question - is there a notch in the hole on the NDS ear for a conventional binder nut with a tab to lock into? (Or on the DS ear, for that matter?)
Old 07-25-22, 07:08 PM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I do not consider myself an expert but here is what I think might have happened: You took your bike off the bike rack. You did not notice that the rack had somehow pulled the front derailleur-shifter cable off from the metal cable guides located on top of the bb shell. The fd cable is now hanging loosely. You tried to ride the bike but the crank caught the fd cable and wound it around the bb causing the fd to shift on it's own or become mis-aligned that it interferes with the crank causing the grinding noise.
Old 07-25-22, 11:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
This pic is of the seatpost bolt nut on my Univega Super Speciale. I've never been really successful holding it in place while snugging up the bolt. I've tried screwdrivers, nickels, chainring bolt wrenches. Nothing seems to work well. Of course, my seatpost slipped while out in the "wilds" of Michigan just now (a bit south of South Haven). I've done what I can to tighten it up, but suspect it will slip again (yes, I have the proper size seatpost).

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get one of these and grind down the sides to fit if necessary, short, stubby and stout

Clean up that slotted nut and do whatever it takes to keep it in use, no way I would replace it unless I absolutely had too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.