Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire Quality -- Continental now made in India -- Who makes quality tires these days?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire Quality -- Continental now made in India -- Who makes quality tires these days?

Old 09-01-22, 06:18 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by brycenesbitt
Sigh. For years I've bought Continental tires, and they've served me well. Puncture resistant, long wearing.
But now apparently, they're made in India, and the reviews are terrible (check out Amazon reviews for "Continental Ride Tour City/Trekking Bicycle Tire, 26x1.75" for example).
I'm looking at reviews for a pair of them with tubes now, and 64% of the reviews are 5 *.

The first few I've seen that aren't 5 star are:
I'm not sure if I've fitted them backwards.
These are fake - the tires say continental but the inner tubes are no-name.
They are great but I need to pump up the tubes every few days
The tires are good but the tubes are the wrong size.

In your defense I've found one (1) review which shows damage after a couple of rides, which does look like a manufacturing defect on the side wall.

Just the tires only (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Continental...2034550&sr=8-8) are 86% 5 star and 14% 4 star.

So I don't believe that they are getting the bad reviews you are claiming, and that you only think they are bad because they are made in India.

Continental have a reputation to uphold, so I can't see them producing sub-par products just so save a few $.

I likely wouldn't trust a domestic Indian brand for tires in the same way I wouldn't want a domestic Chinese brand, but I'd much rather put tires from a brand I recognise on my bike. Mine are all Maxxis, Giant or Triban.
Old 09-01-22, 06:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Apparently lot of people confuse "racism" with comments on the quality of select products that come out various countries (commenting on countries' products, however, by definition, is not racism. Just FYI).

I have a mighty fine Brown Bess from India. Haven't fired it though; I read the barrels have a tendency to sometimes blow up.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-01-22, 06:24 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Nice insult. Reported.
Says the guy who started this thread to make insulting comments about India. Pot, meet kettle.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 09-01-22, 06:26 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
Says the guy who started this thread to make insulting comments about India. Pot, meet kettle.
What the hell are you talking about?? I didn't start this thread. What thread have I ever started about India?? That country is the farthest one in my mind when I think about bikes. Are you sniffing the chemicals you work with? (I ask out of true concern for your well-being).

Last edited by smd4; 09-01-22 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 06:30 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
What the hell are you talking about?? What thread have I ever started about India?? That country is the farthest one in my mind when I think about bikes. Are you sniffing the chemical you work with?
Sorry, I thought you had started this thread for some reason.

Still, my point about you making insulting comments still stands. Comments like this "Because work done by unskilled laborers making 15 cents a day probably isn't of the best quality. Common sense." are nothing but insulting. I dare you to make a comment like that to an Indian and see how it turns out.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 09-01-22, 06:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
After years doing vendor evaluations that included Asia and Europe for a Fortune 500 company I can tell you the quality is dependant on the parent company's QA/QC. From raw materials to the product at your local bike shop shelf the combination of quality assurance, the processes used to measure and assure the quality of a product, and equally the quality control, the ensuring that the products and services meet consumer expectations. If you are unhappy with your German tire it has nothing to do with the location where it is made.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-01-22, 06:35 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLP

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
Nice insult. Reported.
Hey and for the sake of fairness, I reported your posts.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-01-22, 06:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Apparently lot of people confuse "racism" with comments on the quality of select products that come out various countries (commenting on countries' products, however, by definition, is not racism. Just FYI).
Making a blanket statement about products that come from a particular country (particularly a country in which people’s skin color differs from your own), without providing any accurate supporting evidence (as is the case here), comes across as racist. It also makes you look ignorant, which is a necessary component of racism.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 06:45 AM
cec 327

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because work done by unskilled laborers making 15 cents a day probably isn't of the best quality. Common sense.
you know that they make 15 cents an hour?
Old 09-01-22, 06:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
After years doing vendor evaluations that included Asia and Europe for a Fortune 500 company I can tell you the quality is dependant on the parent company's QA/QC. From raw materials to the product at your local bike shop shelf the combination of quality assurance, the processes used to measure and assure the quality of a product, and equally the quality control, the ensuring that the products and services meet consumer expectations. If you are unhappy with your German tire it has nothing to do with the location where it is made.
Exactly. If Conti is making lousy tires, that’s on Conti, regardless of where they’re making them.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-01-22, 06:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Nice insult. Reported.

You report *that* after the dreck you've spewn?
Old 09-01-22, 06:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Making a blanket statement about products that come from a particular country (particularly a country in which people’s skin color differs from your own), without providing any accurate supporting evidence (as is the case here), comes across as racist. It also makes you look ignorant, which is a necessary component of racism.
Agree. It may not have even been his intent, and I don't think it's fair to call him racist per-se, but we all should try to have at least a little awareness/sensitivity to this. Even I am working on it myself.
Old 09-01-22, 07:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Glad to know you speak for 1.5 billion people. Please take a bow.

And get a sense of humor. I hear you can get a cheap, well-made one from India.
Even if your initial comments were joking, they just werent funny.
Saying people work for 15 cents a day isnt funny. It isnt really anything, besides incorrect. There is no punch line, there is no irony, there is no absurdism. If thats a joke, it isnt surprising nobody realized you were joking.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-01-22, 07:03 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by datlas
Agree. It may not have even been his intent, and I don't think it's fair to call him racist per-se, but we all should try to have at least a little awareness/sensitivity to this. Even I am working on it myself.
Intent is irrelevant. Every racist on the planet believes that they are not racist. They believe that they are just relating obvious facts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 07:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Intent is irrelevant. Every racist on the planet believes that they are not racist. They believe that they are just relating obvious facts.
Probably true. But I am trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Look at the Confederate flag. Is it racist? I think so, but I suspect there are still some people who see it as a symbol of southern pride and not intending to offend anyone. Those folks need to be aware that even if they are not racist per-se their symbol is going to be interpreted as racist.
Old 09-01-22, 07:14 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by datlas
Probably true. But I am trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Look at the Confederate flag. Is it racist? I think so, but I suspect there are still some people who see it as a symbol of southern pride and not intending to offend anyone. Those folks need to be aware that even if they are not racist per-se their symbol is going to be interpreted as racist.
We're heading waay into P&R territory here, and most of these posts will soon be removed and the thread locked down. But I'll respond: The South went to war, and flew the Confederate flag, over slavery. That was the whole point of the so-called "states' rights" -- they wanted to retain the right to own black people. Flying that flag in 2022 is a racist statement. That is part of the intent.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 07:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
closing this for a bit, a lot of cleanup needed, mostly bickering at this point. please take it up over PM and stop diluting the content of the forums.

many thanks,
Tmonk