Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Old 09-06-22, 02:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Thanks.
Oh, I forgot to mention the brand. Arsuxeo. Yes, it has "sux" in the middle. That's virtually the only thing about this jersey that does fit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-06-22, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,013 Times in 3,790 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I could make my jersey do that if I didn't pull it down also!!!!
If you have to pull down a jersey to the point of it impinging on leg movement to get it to flatten out, it's poorly sized/proportioned. If your jerseys of the same "brand" fit differently, that seems to indicate a likely issue with inconsistent manufacturing controls, which is not generally a sign of quality.

A $20 jersey that doesn't fit well is $20 wasted.
Old 09-06-22, 02:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Even their form fitting jersey lists some large waist sizes in relation to the chest sizes. That's not going to work for most roadies with their dimensions more on the mantis side. I'm on the opposite end. More gorilla like. Their fits wouldn't work for me either. Nothing does.

https://www.amazon.com/ARSUXEO-Form-...cx_mr_hp_atf_m
Old 09-07-22, 10:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 4,818 Times in 2,977 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Suuuuper awesome tailoring!

....and this is standing upright - on-bike is an even worse ****-show.
Race fit
Club fit
Pub fit (tick)

I'm impressed you went as far as actually buying one.
Old 09-07-22, 10:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm impressed you went as far as actually buying one.
That guy has been banging his "poly is poly and you're dumb if you spend more than 20 bucks" drum for a while, so I figured I'd see just how poorly informed his opinion was. Spoiler: Very.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-07-22, 10:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Perfect fit for a dad bod or beer belly

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-07-22, 10:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rsbob
...on an upright hybrid... maybe.
Old 09-07-22, 10:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Race fit
Club fit
Pub fit (tick).
Alien bursting out of abdomen fit ......
Old 09-07-22, 10:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There's a solid market for that in the bike world.

Given the moronic clothing opinions on Bikeforums you hear often, it would be hilarious to translate it over to the running world where their idiocy would be quickly rewarded with bleeding nipples or inner thighs so raw you can't walk normal till it heals up. Or shoe and gait choices resulting in actual long term injuries.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-07-22, 11:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Alien bursting out of abdomen fit ......
Is that what the cool kids call that thing these days?
Old 09-07-22, 11:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Given the moronic clothing opinions on Bikeforums you hear often, it would be hilarious to translate it over to the running world where their idiocy would be quickly rewarded with bleeding nipples or inner thighs so raw you can't walk normal till it heals up. Or shoe and gait choices resulting in actual long term injuries.
Since I do both, the wrong garment choices in running can be hazardous to one's health, as can the inadequate nipple protection. So many places for friction problems.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-07-22, 11:26 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That guy has been banging his "poly is poly and you're dumb if you spend more than 20 bucks" drum for a while, so I figured I'd see just how poorly informed his opinion was. Spoiler: Very.
I just want to say I've learned that quality clothing really makes a difference. I'm kind of a cheapskate. While I don't like junky department store bikes and gear, I sometimes have trouble justifying the cost of high end stuff. I've always tried to go with Nashbar/Performance and look for their sales, or when I really feel like splurging, Pearl Izumi.

I've recently come across a Specialized road jersey (on clearance at a LBS) and a Rapha jersey (secondhand on a local online marketplace). Both are top quality and totally worth their higher cost. The Rapha is hands down the best piece of bike clothing I own. It's the fit, the materials, the construction quality, the little details and features... everything. There are reasons this stuff costs more than bargain basement Chinese look-alikes.

Everyone's gotta decide for himself what works best. I have learned that for me it's absolutely NOT a waste of money to buy top quality gear. But I guess it depends on whether you're really riding. If you go out only when the temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees, you're riding on flat terrain at speeds under 18 mph, and you're never on the bike for longer than an hour, it probably doesn't matter much what you wear. At higher performance levels and longer duration, it makes a huge difference.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-07-22, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

You're proving the opposite point of what you intended--the reasons those choices would be moronic in running don't actually apply to cycling.
If someone is comfortable doing the kind of riding they enjoy in a tuxedo, then it's not moronic. It is, however, moronic to wear clothing and footwear that actually injure you. I would find it funny if someone actually rode in a tuxedo, but what standards are you using to deem that "moronic"?

I'm quite sure your definition of "moronic" is any opinion you don't share.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-22, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Broctoon
If you go out only when the temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees, you're riding on flat terrain at speeds under 18 mph, and you're never on the bike for longer than an hour, it probably doesn't matter much what you wear. At higher performance levels and longer duration, it makes a huge difference.
Because I don't want to be falsely accused of reverse snobbery yet again, I'm not going to specify what I wear, but it is definitely not the kind of kit you are describing. I also ride at fairly high speeds in the flat, over very long distances (longest ride this year was 144 hilly miles), very hilly routes and for hours in high 90s heat. You may be right about the huge differences between clothing, but I've never been uncomfortable enough or found that my clothes/shoes were holding me back enough to seek out the additional expense.
Old 09-07-22, 12:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because I don't want to be falsely accused of reverse snobbery yet again, I'm not going to specify what I wear, but it is definitely not the kind of kit you are describing. I also ride at fairly high speeds in the flat, over very long distances (longest ride this year was 144 hilly miles), very hilly routes and for hours in high 90s heat. You may be right about the huge differences between clothing, but I've never been uncomfortable enough or found that my clothes/shoes were holding me back enough to seek out the additional expense.
I understand that you're comfortable with your choices, but I'm genuinely curious if you've tried using "high performance" cycling clothing. I'm not necessarily saying this is you. but I know some people (including me) who didn't know what they were missing until they tried it for themselves. Most recently, I had that experience with a dropper seat post on my MTB. I've been riding MTBs since the '90s, and kind of looked down on them as a silly device for the downhill crowd (which is not my group). I recently bought a new lightweight hardtail, and decided to try adding a dropper post. It's a game-changer. I had no idea what I had been missing.
Old 09-07-22, 12:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
I understand that you're comfortable with your choices, but I'm genuinely curious if you've tried using "high performance" cycling clothing. I'm not necessarily saying this is you. but I know some people (including me) who didn't know what they were missing until they tried it for themselves. Most recently, I had that experience with a dropper seat post on my MTB. I've been riding MTBs since the '90s, and kind of looked down on them as a silly device for the downhill crowd (which is not my group). I recently bought a new lightweight hardtail, and decided to try adding a dropper post. It's a game-changer. I had no idea what I had been missing.

No, I haven't. You'll notice that I've never accused anyone doing so of wasting their money. Only point I'm making is that you really can't assume much about how people ride based on what they wear.

BTW, I freely admit I don't know what I am or am not missing. OTOH, because I don't know, I don't miss it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-22, 12:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
No, I haven't. You'll notice that I've never accused anyone doing so of wasting their money. Only point I'm making is that you really can't assume much about how people ride based on what they wear.

BTW, I freely admit I don't know what I am or am not missing. OTOH, because I don't know, I don't miss it.
Completely reasonable reply. This thread would have little argumentation -- hell, this thread probably wouldn't exist -- if everyone held the same attitude.
Old 09-07-22, 12:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I recognize and respect your position on the clothing subject.
Old 09-07-22, 12:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
Completely reasonable reply. This thread would have little argumentation -- hell, this thread probably wouldn't exist -- if everyone held the same attitude.
Sounds boring.
Old 09-07-22, 01:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Sounds boring.
Oh, I think you're being reasonable, too. So maybe you're boring.
Old 09-07-22, 01:26 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Fair enough. We can’t argue with results. I suspect that among “dedicated” riders, there are more who do well with bike specific clothing than those who can comfortably ride long distances and big elevation in casual wear or even non-bike specific athletic wear. But few things in this world are universally true.

This highlights the fact that a question such as “biggest waste of money?” is too subjective to really answer meaningfully.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-07-22, 01:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I just want to say I've learned that quality clothing really makes a difference. I'm kind of a cheapskate. While I don't like junky department store bikes and gear, I sometimes have trouble justifying the cost of high end stuff. I've always tried to go with Nashbar/Performance and look for their sales, or when I really feel like splurging, Pearl Izumi.

I've recently come across a Specialized road jersey (on clearance at a LBS) and a Rapha jersey (secondhand on a local online marketplace). Both are top quality and totally worth their higher cost. The Rapha is hands down the best piece of bike clothing I own. It's the fit, the materials, the construction quality, the little details and features... everything. There are reasons this stuff costs more than bargain basement Chinese look-alikes.

Everyone's gotta decide for himself what works best. I have learned that for me it's absolutely NOT a waste of money to buy top quality gear. But I guess it depends on whether you're really riding. If you go out only when the temperature is between 60 and 80 degrees, you're riding on flat terrain at speeds under 18 mph, and you're never on the bike for longer than an hour, it probably doesn't matter much what you wear. At higher performance levels and longer duration, it makes a huge difference.
Last year, after reading a couple of threads on the benefits of quality cycling gear I decided to take the plunge and buy ASOS shorts and short sleeve jersey. The shorts were very well made but came with a crease in the middle of the chamois which was a bit, uh, violating. Washed them a few times and the crease lessened but really didn’t find the shorts much more comfortable than my Pearls. The jersey was likewise well made, but very snug and extremely snug on the arms. If I was a competitor maybe the aero advantage might have helped. Perhaps I should have ordered one size up but found it so snug, I returned it. Maybe my body is such that bargain basement items just work for me. Perhaps the expensive hi-tech stuff would ultimately be fantastic but the price leap is so substantial when my stuff works fine…. a loaner program just to prove how good the high priced stuff is just might convince me, but we all know that ain;t happening.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-07-22, 01:42 PM
Vern1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lordy lordy and I thought car guys were bad but I see bike guys can also take a relatively innocuous thread and turn it in to 14 pages of arguing, snobbishness and insults

It does make me want to go and buy an Amazon and Rapha shirt to see what all the fuss is about though

Carry on...
Old 09-07-22, 01:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Oh, I think you're being reasonable, too. So maybe you're boring.
From my observations, our reasonableness tends to be fairly well aligned. However, because of that, the same people also tend to find us completely unreasonable.
Old 09-07-22, 01:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Vern1
Lordy lordy and I thought car guys were bad but I see bike guys can also take a relatively innocuous thread and turn it in to 14 pages of arguing, snobbishness and insults

It does make me want to go and buy an Amazon and Rapha shirt to see what all the fuss is about though

Carry on...
Car guys are far worse. Was on a couple of boards, and no more, because the one-up-manship and testosterone fueled rivalries were just too much. Besides with all the upgrades people kept doing, it just became ridiculously expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.