Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storing bikes outside

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Storing bikes outside

Old 10-31-22, 08:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I can and do store bikes inside, I just like keeping the one I ride everyday outside so i dont have to bring it in and out all the time.

When I lived in California, keeping it outside was normal for me. There's obvious advantages to keeping it outside when you have limited housing space. In New England, I wouldn't store it outside if I had any intention of keeping it for a while. We just have too much weather here for it to be practical.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-22, 08:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
All the BS aside, the guy says he leaves his bike outside because it is easier, and then complains that he sees negative effects because he leaves it outside.

So ... is it easier to bring the bike inside, or easier to do increased maintenance because he leaves it exposed?

I don't much care.

No, he didn't just complain, he actually asked a question, which nobody besides Ghazmh has bothered to try to answer (I'm admittedly unqualified to do so). He asked specifically if storing it outside could be the cause of the disk brake issues he's having when he's living in a dry climate. This seems like a very practical question because if there's an identifiable cause, there also might be a way to mitigate it while still keeping the bike outside.

I'm not a fan of Larry, but I'm also not a fan of discounting legitimate inquiries because of a post history.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-22, 08:58 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
I am very fortunate. At my home I keep maybe 4 bikes in the garage . I also have a shop where I store about a dozen. I don't keep any outside , even in Southern California. I think if you found a good way of covering it and locking it maybe would help. Also, I have a wife who puts up with my vintage bike collection. I do have two Rubbermaid storage sheds on the side of my house and each has a couple of bikes that are waiting for me to restore but they were already a bit rough when I got them. I am semi retired now so I have thought about what I'm going to do when I move my shop home . I try not to think about it.
Old 10-31-22, 10:00 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
All my bikes are stored inside the house except when I am out riding them. This keeps them out of the heat, cold, rain, wind, and whatever else. On top of that, I keep them locked up with a very thick cable and a heavy duty padlock. I've never been robbed (knock on wood) but always take precautions to deter the would be thief as best I can.

Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 10-31-22 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-31-22, 10:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
You have a history of making these troll threads which has opened you up to 90% of the derision you have received on this board. Rarely if at all have you posted a legitimate question. I believe I am not alone in the opinion that you derive some enjoyment making these silly threads to see ho many pages they can get. When the trolls were purged this summer, you probably survived because at least to some degree your posts can be entertaining.

The point of this thread like all your others is to go off the rails.

He is just making up his mind what to troll next.

But to stay on topic for Larry...
I do not own a bike that I would leave outside for any reason. And that includes a 1970 Gazelle with a broken seat stay, a 1954 Hercules with a damaged fork and headset, a 1973 Schwinn Suburban that I didn't even want to own in the first place and an early 80s Carabela that I bought simply for parts. My four regular riders and my wife's mixte are surprisingly easy to store inside so I see no need to lessen the condition of them to save the time it takes to open and close the door behind me
Somebody gets it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-31-22, 02:34 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
don't drink too much dumpster vodka
WTF is your childish obsession with dumpster vodka?
Old 10-31-22, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bikehoco

It'd be a great name for a band, and it was the all-time lamest thread topic in GC history.
Old 10-31-22, 02:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,262 Times in 2,937 Posts
I think maybe you're the one with the obsession ...
Do they constantly troll others members with reference to finding a bottle of vodka?

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with finding a bottle of vodka.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-31-22, 02:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think maybe you're the one with the obsession ...
Good catch!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-31-22, 03:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
You know . . . I must say . . . this obsession with the dumpster and vodka and shirtlessness has gotten really worn out and tiresome. Its not funny anymore, if it ever was. It’s the same old crowd of regulars, bored at work looking for something stimulating or interesting. It’s starting to look mean-spirited, like what teens do when they encounter someone different than them. Why don’t we put this stuff to bed, for good not just for this thread. Closing the thread doesn’t change anyone’s behavior. If you don’t have anything constructive to add, why not just move along.
Old 10-31-22, 03:55 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts

stop telling me to wear a shirt guys, and im not the dumpster vodka guy and I wave to everyone/am not rude.
You see, the OP doesn’t think this crap is funny anymore, guys. Maybe he never did. Time for some infractions.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 10-31-22, 05:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4915 Post(s)
Liked 8,018 Times in 3,792 Posts
I have always kept my bikes inside, including the BMX bike I rode as a kid. These days, my flock of bikes take their naps in the comfort of my locked garage, behind the security of my double-dog alarm system. I do this because I was raised right by a guy who was also a bike nut.

In related news...I was at an LBS recently, and while I was waiting for some help, a guy there ahead of me was explaining to the service manager that his bike was having some problems. It was a pretty high-level, pretty new, full-suspension MTB. The cranks and wheels would barely turn, and everything was scaping and grinding when they tried. Apparently, it had been left outside in the weather for 4 months. The owner didn't seem to understand why that was an issue. It made me both sad and angry.
Old 10-31-22, 05:34 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I think it is mean to Larry, there are a handful of mean posters who have nothing better than to attack a kid trying to get his life in order.

Now to the topic at hand.

I hate riding a trainer, I burn up even with a good fan

I'm trying to decide which bike to put on the trainer on the porch, in the snow, in the rain. Is there a way to do it? Whether Larry's post is intended to be a troll, it is a topic that I have been thinking about. Some of us love our bikes

Which one do I put into the cold. How evil am I to do it.

Oops, sorry.....back to the bashing Larry show.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-31-22, 10:17 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Old 11-01-22, 10:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
reminds me of the time I was bike commuting year 'round. I was keeping my bike outside for convenience. when it got colder I still kept it outside. as the weather deteriorated, when I got home it required more wiping of road debris incl. slush. I started squirting it w/ water from my bottle & if nec. getting a bit more from in the house, then wiped parts of it w/ paper towels. if it wasn't going to rain or snow over night, it stayed outside

eventually it became much colder & one dark morning about 5am I got about 1 mile down the road & realized my rear derailer wasn't shifting. in the freezing cold, before I could warm up, in the dark, I had to disassemble the rear cable housing at the rear derailer, clean out the frozen water, by hand w/o solvents, etc, re-assemble & then got under way, able to shift again

after that I brought it into the basement, down the bulkhead steps, every night

I don't bike commute in the winter anymore. so after my rides, in the winter, I bring the bikes back inside, despite the hassle

during fair weather months, if the weather will be dry, I do leave a bike outside for a day or two especially if I expect to ride again soon

I got a bike cover that I've used many times & it seems ok for overnights with very modest weather. I've read keeping any moisture trapped within the cover is bad for the bike so I try to keep the cover off as much as possible, especially during high humidity. I'm glad I bought the cover

you can get them on Amazon for not a lot of money. the one I have is
Puroma Bike Cover Outdoor Waterproof Bicycle Covers Rain Sun UV Dust Wind Proof with Lock Hole for Mountain Road Electric Bike

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-01-22 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-01-22, 10:24 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4915 Post(s)
Liked 8,018 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I think it is mean to Larry, there are a handful of mean posters who have nothing better than to attack a kid trying to get his life in order.

I'm trying to decide which bike to put on the trainer on the porch, in the snow, in the rain. Is there a way to do it? Whether Larry's post is intended to be a troll, it is a topic that I have been thinking about. Some of us love our bikes

If you MUST leave your bike outside in those conditions, I would pick the one that I cared about least, throw a cover over it after every use, and keep a close eye on maintenance issues of parts that move.

For a while, I had one bike that served both trainer duty and road duty, with a different rear wheel for each. Every road ride, I would pull the bike off the trainer, and swap out the rear wheel. It really wasn't that big a deal.
Old 11-01-22, 10:28 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 604 Times in 361 Posts
If it's protected from rain/snow then it's probably fine, but I'd for either the bike with the least to go wrong or that you cared about the least, and I'd make sure it was well lubricated with wet weather lube. Ideally I'd stick some kind of breathable cover on it if required but that's not terminal.

I did largely the same for a few weeks; bike and trainer were technically outside but always dry, and there was no issues.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 11-01-22, 06:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Am I reading this right? You're going to ride a trainer in the rain and snow? That's so counterintuitive that if it works, it's amazing.
I'm sincerely admiring that you're going to try this, and hope you'll let us know how it works out for you. Even if it doesn't work out, that's a pretty bold attempt.
Old 11-01-22, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Am I reading this right? You're going to ride a trainer in the rain and snow? That's so counterintuitive that if it works, it's amazing.
I'm sincerely admiring that you're going to try this, and hope you'll let us know how it works out for you. Even if it doesn't work out, that's a pretty bold attempt.
Well it does sound off but water in my eyes from forward motion is one of my most hated parts of riding in the rain. If I can get wet without dealing with the visibility issues that doesn't sound like the worst thing but I would rather just do it indoors.
Old 11-02-22, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well it does sound off but water in my eyes from forward motion is one of my most hated parts of riding in the rain. If I can get wet without dealing with the visibility issues that doesn't sound like the worst thing but I would rather just do it indoors.

Can you fit your trainer in the shower?
Not a serious question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-02-22, 05:38 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have a bike with a crack in the frame. I think I will take the good components off, it has Sram Red 11 speed. I have some older Shimano.

I find this thread ridiculous in some ways. When I was young, I toured for many, many months on end. My bike saw nothing but rain, mud, and some Sun once in a while. It never set foot inside. I mess that old Dawes Super Galaxy. I do not think someone is a real cyclist until they have pushed themselves so hard that when they stop to refuel at a minimart that they pray someone steals their bike.
Old 11-02-22, 07:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Can you fit your trainer in the shower?
Not a serious question.
I wish I had a bath or shower of that size, That is serious though. I would love a bath tub I could actually be comfortable in, nice and deep long and wide or one of those big showers with all the different heads and digital adjustable temperature that the fancy folks have. Also would love to have a big kitchen with a gas stove and a indoor wok burner and maybe a griddle. Ahh to dream.
Old 11-02-22, 07:54 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Possibly a better question would have been "is storing a bike inside at night when the temperature swings and moisture increases in the AM very beneficial if the bike is going to be outside during the day anyways." If the answer is that there isnt much of a difference day and night, then its probably not worth it. If the answer is that the morning dew accelerates wear an order of magnitude, maybe the answer is different. Theft is not an issue

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-02-22 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-02-22, 08:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
I do not think someone is a real cyclist until they have pushed themselves so hard that when they stop to refuel at a minimart that they pray someone steals their bike.
You must be an old man. They often claim that their past hardships are superior to other people's hardships, and that thus they are superior, too.

Anyone who rides a bicycle is a cyclist. That's literally in every dictionary.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-03-22, 03:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Possibly a better question would have been "is storing a bike inside at night when the temperature swings and moisture increases in the AM very beneficial if the bike is going to be outside during the day anyways." If the answer is that there isnt much of a difference day and night, then its probably not worth it. If the answer is that the morning dew accelerates wear an order of magnitude, maybe the answer is different. Theft is not an issue
Well, where I live, it would possibly be morning frost, so that can't be good. When I lived in your climate, keeping the bikes secured outside was a no brainer, but that was with rim brakes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.