Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Robert Axle Project thru axles great, or are Cervélo's bad? Probably both.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Robert Axle Project thru axles great, or are Cervélo's bad? Probably both.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 12:03 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Yeah, I recentered the front brake by loosening the bolts holding it, and retightening while pinching the brake. It seems the RAP axle puts the rotor at a bit more of an angle than the OEM one, and the brake doesn't have enough adjustment leeway to make up for it.
FYSA, that's not the best way to get the calipers truly centered. Cable tension will prevent the caliper from moving where it should. Best way is to manually move it with your hands until the disc is centered between the pads. You might need to make very minute adjustments but it can be done.
Old 11-18-19, 02:26 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
FYSA, that's not the best way to get the calipers truly centered. Cable tension will prevent the caliper from moving where it should. Best way is to manually move it with your hands until the disc is centered between the pads. You might need to make very minute adjustments but it can be done.
Gah. Now I’m having PTSD from when I originally aligned the SRAM HRD on the S3. It was so much more finicky than the Shimano Ultegra hydro discs on my TCR. I ended up doing something similar to what you describe. Using the brake clamping to center method wasn’t working so I used that as a starting point and made minute adjustments by hand as I slowly tightened the bolts while spinning the wheel. A second pair of hands would have helped a lot.
Old 11-21-19, 03:14 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
One thing that can really complicate matters when trying to adjust a disc caliper is if the mounting faces and/or bolt holes aren't dead square... you line up the caliper just so, and then when you tighten the bolts, one side of a bolt head grabs first, and the caliper moves no matter what you do.

It's a bastard. And I've come across it on some nice bikes... hopefully that was just an initial hiccup as manufacturers adopted road disc and they've got on top if it.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-21-19, 03:58 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Good points Kimmo. Yeah the SRAM Cervélo S3 combo was super finicky in comparison to the Shimano Giant TCR combo. That was very easy to align.
Old 11-21-19, 06:20 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
One thing that can really complicate matters when trying to adjust a disc caliper is if the mounting faces and/or bolt holes aren't dead square... you line up the caliper just so, and then when you tighten the bolts, one side of a bolt head grabs first, and the caliper moves no matter what you do.

It's a bastard. And I've come across it on some nice bikes... hopefully that was just an initial hiccup as manufacturers adopted road disc and they've got on top if it.
Yes, and its been made a million times worse with flat mount compared to post mount
Old 11-22-19, 10:28 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Damn you guys on this thread. I was perfectly happy with my butter fly through axle on my bike. Now you have me thinking of the weight savings of switching to a RAP. As if I didn't have enough stuff to spend money on at the moment...Fingers crossed they'll go a black Friday sale.
Old 02-02-23, 04:49 PM
Hayburner_jr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Interesting, I get the same on the C3 - rubbing front brake after or during long descents and hard braking. Usually I just have to tap the brake level slightly a couple of times for it to go away (without the pads even touching the rotor), so I chalked it up to heat causing one of the pistons to stick slightly, perhaps due to dirt. I'm going to have to try one of these axles. The brakes I have are Shimano R8000 with SM-RT800 160mm rotors.
Did you end up getting the new axles? I have a C3 as well & was looking at upgrading.
Old 02-02-23, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Just a reminder folks this thread is from 2019. Hayburner_jr get new axles if you want or need them otherwise don't worry about what others are doing. Either you are or aren't having issues 4 years later.
Old 02-02-23, 08:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayburner_jr
Did you end up getting the new axles? I have a C3 as well & was looking at upgrading.
Hayburner_jrI, know this is an old thread, but I like their axles and I have them for a couple of my bikes. I don't have a Cervelo, but they have nice stuff and very responsive with support questions if needed.

Old 02-05-23, 04:02 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I know this is an old thread but here goes. I put Robert Axle thru axles on my BH G7 two years ago. Best decision I ever made. As has been pointed out before, the axles are nice and the customer support is very responsive. They initially sent me the wrong axle size for my front wheel. A couple of emails later and the whole mess was sorted out. If you are considering purchasing the axles for your Cervelo I say go for it.