Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want to buy the best GPS?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 08:50 PM
Tyagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started cycling a week ago but the thing I'm missing is that I can't track or record my data, so I thought of buying a GPS?

any suggestions?
Old 07-11-20, 08:54 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Garmin 530
Old 07-11-20, 08:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,946 Times in 4,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyagi
I started cycling a week ago but the thing I'm missing is that I can't track or record my data, so I thought of buying a GPS?

any suggestions?
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Garmin 530
Or if you want something that is more likely to work properly, try a Wahoo Bolt or Roam.
Old 07-11-20, 09:45 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Just starting out? If you have a smart phone get and app to track your rides. Strava is one. It cost to unlock the fancy features but not for just tracking. Plus this gives time to decide on the Wahoo or Garmin bandwagon.

I’ve a Garmin Bontrager 1030. I have not used a Wahoo. But when I decided the Garmin had more features I wanted. The Wahoo is less and the they say easier to use.

Good luck.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 07-11-20, 10:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Argue it out in this section, that's what it's for..https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-12-20, 07:47 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Or if you want something that is more likely to work properly, try a Wahoo Bolt or Roam.
Second the Wahoo. Lots of reviews comparing Wahoo vs Garmin with Wahoo winning on ease of use, less frustration, etc. Saving up for a Roam bundle around $480 that includes speed/cadence sensors and heart monitor.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 07-12-20, 07:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,397 Times in 2,739 Posts
Earlier this year I bought a Garmin 530, didn't like it, got a Wahoo Bolt that I like much better. That said, free Strava on your phone will work very well. I wouldn't have bought a GPS at all had I known I wouldn't be riding in unfamiliar places this year.
Old 07-12-20, 08:36 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I use my phone and Apple Watch... my rides are short enough, I don’t keep it on my bars, I don’t have a power meter, I’m usually riding in familiar places. If I were seriously working out and/or doing hundreds of miles a week I’d have a GPS to watch speed or HR or power.

I tried Ride With GPS app and it just made me return to Strava
Old 07-12-20, 09:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Dunno. I had Bolt, returned it. Couldn't read the TBT screen with sunglasses. Easier to setup, but the maps suck. DCRainmaker wasn't much impressed with the Roam. As well the current device complaint on the electronics forum is about a Bolt. https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...er-issues.html

If the OP just wants a simpler device to give him speed and and tracking, then I'd agree with getting the Bolt, especially as it's selling for $230 currently vs. $300 for a Edge 530.
Old 07-12-20, 10:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
For battery life, it’s hard to beat the Lezyne Mega XL. Mine is pretty close to the 48 hour time (after a slight break in period) Yes, the display is only black and white but it does have a large display that can be rotated to view in either landscape or portrait configurations (that would solve the problem of polarized glasses). It’s also relatively inexpensive at $200.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-12-20, 11:11 AM
adalah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin
Old 07-12-20, 11:13 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3227 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,175 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For battery life, it’s hard to beat the Lezyne Mega XL. Mine is pretty close to the 48 hour time (after a slight break in period) Yes, the display is only black and white but it does have a large display that can be rotated to view in either landscape or portrait configurations (that would solve the problem of polarized glasses). It’s also relatively inexpensive at $200.
As note, my sunglasses are not polarized. The trouble I had with the Bolt turn-by-turn screen is they do white text on black background. I would have to remove my glasses while riding to view what was on the screen. There was no setting to change this. I think what got me pissed off was the attitude of the Wahoo tech folks when I asked if there was any setting I could change and I got a real snotty reply that this was the best way to view the TBT. I returned the unit to REI, got a 1030 on sale at my LBS and that has worked perfectly.
Old 07-12-20, 01:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,946 Times in 4,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Dunno. I had Bolt, returned it. Couldn't read the TBT screen with sunglasses. Easier to setup, but the maps suck. DCRainmaker wasn't much impressed with the Roam. As well the current device complaint on the electronics forum is about a Bolt. https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...er-issues.html

If the OP just wants a simpler device to give him speed and and tracking, then I'd agree with getting the Bolt, especially as it's selling for $230 currently vs. $300 for a Edge 530.
Yeah, I know there are plenty of happy Garmin users out there, and their navigation is more sophisticated than the Wahoos...So I am just relaying my own recent experiences with the Edge 530 vs the Roam. (I should've put in that disclaimer.)

If the OP does just want something basic to keep track of rides and maybe do occasional navigation, I agree with cyccommute that Lezyne has some outstanding options - and they have unparalleled battery life.
Old 07-12-20, 01:59 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I bought a Garmin Edge 520 2 years ago. The features I depended on like LiveTrack and the Varia radar warnings reliably worked for a tenth of that time. And this was supposed to be a mature product, having been out on the market a while before I bought it.

I got a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt over the winter, and while I haven't been able to use it much during the pandemic, it's been a lot easier and less frustrating to use.

Garmin packs a lot of features, but be warned that their GPS computer software is buggy as heck. Maybe their newer models are better, but having already been burned once, I'll stick with Wahoo.
Old 07-12-20, 02:43 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Never had problems with my 530... Love it, in fact.

Also, Wahoo's are ugly as sin. Aesthetic matters (to some).
Old 07-12-20, 02:53 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
The Garmin Edge 530 has a lot of features, some, maybe even many of of those features are not going to be appreciated by beginners for a while. I think the Garmin is unnecessarly difficult to operate but once you get past the learning curve It's a great device. Some may disagree but in my opinion if you want the best bike computer then you will also want cadence, speed and heart rate monitors in addition to a power meter. So now you are looking at some real money.
Old 07-12-20, 03:24 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
The Garmin Edge 530 has a lot of features, some, maybe even many of of those features are not going to be appreciated by beginners for a while. I think the Garmin is unnecessarly difficult to operate but once you get past the learning curve It's a great device. Some may disagree but in my opinion if you want the best bike computer then you will also want cadence, speed and heart rate monitors in addition to a power meter. So now you are looking at some real money.
Power meters track cadence, and GPS tracks speed.
Old 07-12-20, 04:33 PM
Senior Vagabond
Senior

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I still use my old Garmin Edge 800 which still works well for longer rides requiring navigation. For shorter rides I just use my Apple watch to track the basics. I also have the option to use RWGPS app on my phone. I use the desktop version to plan all my longer rides and then export them to the Edge. I am an older rider that just wants to keep it simple!
Old 07-12-20, 07:47 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Oh silly me.
Old 08-22-22, 11:16 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by surak

Garmin packs a lot of features, but be warned that their GPS computer software is buggy as heck. Maybe their newer models are better, but having already been burned once, I'll stick with Wahoo.
Not so much for the newer units either, I just returned my garmin Montana 700i to REI, a very nice large touch screen full virtual keyboard unit, I wanted to make it to work for me so bad as a biking trip gps guidence and trip planning unit. I gave up after trying for two or more days to get it to work. Newer units might have bigger screen, touch screen, more colors etc but the problem is the insuffcient slow buggy interface left over from the 90's.

Last edited by Eds0123; 08-22-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 12:38 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
GPS tracks speed inaccurately. A wheel sensor is better.

Old 08-22-22, 01:33 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
I love my Garmin Fenix 5X GPS watch. It's a tool, and a good one. Does GPS well, heart rate, steps, other activity tracking and it's also my bike computer and wrist watch. Do they cost more than a dedicated GPS? Yes, but they have the advantage that you can take it with you everywhere.
Old 08-22-22, 04:27 PM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I love my Garmin Fenix 5X GPS watch. It's a tool, and a good one. Does GPS well, heart rate, steps, other activity tracking and it's also my bike computer and wrist watch. Do they cost more than a dedicated GPS? Yes, but they have the advantage that you can take it with you everywhere.

I second this --- Im using a Vivoactive 4 myself , and couldnt tell you the difference between many of them, --- but the Garmin watches sync up to Strava easily and are accurate enough for my recreational use
Old 08-22-22, 05:00 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
If you have a smart phone get an app to track your rides. Strava is one. It cost to unlock the fancy features but not for just tracking. Plus this gives time to decide on the Wahoo or Garmin bandwagon.
100% agree. Ride with GPS is another free option.
Likes For bikehoco:
Old 08-22-22, 07:37 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Chickles
I second this --- Im using a Vivoactive 4 myself , and couldnt tell you the difference between many of them, --- but the Garmin watches sync up to Strava easily and are accurate enough for my recreational use
I'll third it. I was using a Garmin Vivoactive 2 until recently, and now I have a Forerunner 245. The Forerunner line is optimized for running, but handles bike workouts quite well too. (I do plenty of each activity.)

If you want to track your ride and afterward view the data, including speed, distance, and many other metrics, plus look at your route on a map, practically any modern GPS bike computer, watch, or smart phone app will work. You might step up to a nicer Garmin or Wahoo if you want advanced workout features and/or navigation. I use a Garmin Edge 530 but seldom even look at the nav features. I could do just fine with an Edge 130, or even with just my watch. For me, the 530's only real advantages over the 130 are a larger display and longer battery life.

I will say that in the experiences of me and my wife, with biking and running, for fitness and fun... gathering the electronic data to "gamify" our workouts has made a world of difference. Some folks like to just go out and ride, and they don't care how fast or how far they went. I love data, and I love reviewing the maps every time I go.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-22-22 at 09:22 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.