Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road to recovery speeds up.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-04-22, 05:46 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts

My old riding partner Chris has been working his way back from a very bad accident and we finally got a chance to meet up again after a few weeks of solo riding. Chris has been riding every other day because his legs still aren't able to handle the back-to-back days. I spoke with him last week and he wasn't happy with his average speed on his solo rides. As I told him he's still far ahead of what the doctors told him as they expected him to still be on crutches or using a walker never mind riding a bike. He asked if I was interested in doing a rail trail ride on my half day Friday and he wanted to do a longer ride than what he's been doing. So, we meet and then roll out for his longest ride of 31 miles and was surprised when Chris wanted to take the front on some pulls. It's great to see him getting stronger and feeling better with each ride but I do try and keep him grounded and not overextend himself to the point of slowing his recovery. Talked to him two days after the ride and he's feeling great, so we'll do another Friday long ride this week.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 10-08-22, 04:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Nice to see his recovery.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 10-08-22, 10:40 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate in havng loads of crashes and no serious stuff as a result. It could and does so often go the other way.
Spoke to another oldie recently who said he'd never had a prang on his bike since he was a child.
Felt like slapping his face . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 10-08-22, 11:52 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Recovery's a challenge. Different for everyone. My one big fall on a bike was relatively injury free. A bit of road rash, but that was it.

My worst injury was from over-doing it with a variety of sports, which all conspired one morning to fry a handful-sized chunk of muscles on a leg. Took a long time (years) to fully recover to be capable of swimming, running, cycling again, to the point I wasn't worried about the leg collapsing or re-injuring.

Kudos to your friend for getting this far. And Kudos to you for assisting in ensuring the friend doesn't push things too soon.
Likes For Clyde1820: