Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Pro's Closet cuts staff 15%

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Pro's Closet cuts staff 15%

Old 01-21-23, 04:37 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Incorrect.

As I wrote, the money supply is partly responsible for the current inflation, but not entirely responsible for it. Probably not even mostly responsible, though we’re still untangling that.

PS: Just for fun, I watched the linked video. Do you realize that it is just s basic explanation of how prices are determined in individual markets? it does not address any macroeconomic concepts – including the money supply and determination of inflation rates. In fact, he never even mentioned the money supply. I’m not sure why you think this is at all relevant..
So what is mostly responsible for inflation then?
Old 01-21-23, 05:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
So what is mostly responsible for inflation then?
If you think that high school teacher's supply-demand video explains inflation, I won't waste my time offering explanations that you won't understand.
Old 01-21-23, 06:09 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Agree - TPC selling brand new e-bikes seems strange to me. Selling 2 for 1 bikes also seems weird. Who would want two new identical bikes?
TPC is now a Specialized dealer. And Specialized just bought the "old" Pearl Izumi building...which is literally across the street from TPC. This is in a city of 22,000 people where there is also a locally owned LBS Spesh dealer....and they sell out of their "experience center hives". I can't help but think a 42 year old family business is about to get crushed unless they change brands.
Old 01-21-23, 06:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
TPC is now a Specialized dealer. And Specialized just bought the "old" Pearl Izumi building...which is literally across the street from TPC. This is in a city of 22,000 people where there is also a locally owned LBS Spesh dealer....and they sell out of their "experience center hives". I can't help but think a 42 year old family business is about to get crushed unless they change brands.
The Specialized Experience Center didn't kill off the multiple LBSs in Boulder that carried Specialized. And, since everybody complains that TPC has insane prices, they shouldn't take sales from a local shop.
Old 01-21-23, 07:11 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The Specialized Experience Center didn't kill off the multiple LBSs in Boulder that carried Specialized. And, since everybody complains that TPC has insane prices, they shouldn't take sales from a local shop.
I think (?) Specialized still has MAP enforcement, so pricing should be level I would guess. I mean....I suppose TPC could raise prices, but I think they maks a buck by selling used items above what you would find on CL or marketplace for example. But, the sheer size of TPC's new building is mind boggling...about 140,000 square feet. I've been in there once and it's downright sterile and cavernous. That's a **** ton of stock they could have on hand, something most LBS' can't accomodate. But I dunno....I'm sure things will be just fine, but the owner of the local shop is feeling like there could be some over-saturation issues. A valid concern for a LBS owner, so I get that, and he's been in the business for a long time and is a really good guy. I know "everybody" screams about what TPC sell's used stuff for....but at the same time, their business model continues to succeed...the internet screams about anything and everything anyway.
Old 01-21-23, 11:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
I think (?) Specialized still has MAP enforcement, so pricing should be level I would guess. I mean....I suppose TPC could raise prices, but I think they maks a buck by selling used items above what you would find on CL or marketplace for example. But, the sheer size of TPC's new building is mind boggling...about 140,000 square feet. I've been in there once and it's downright sterile and cavernous. That's a **** ton of stock they could have on hand, something most LBS' can't accomodate. But I dunno....I'm sure things will be just fine, but the owner of the local shop is feeling like there could be some over-saturation issues. A valid concern for a LBS owner, so I get that, and he's been in the business for a long time and is a really good guy. I know "everybody" screams about what TPC sell's used stuff for....but at the same time, their business model continues to succeed...the internet screams about anything and everything anyway.
I'm guessing you're referring to Louisville Cyclery? If so, there are already 40+ Specialized dealers within a 30 mile radius, so another dealer (TPC) is probably not going to make a significant difference.
Old 01-22-23, 08:59 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you think that high school teacher's supply-demand video explains inflation, I won't waste my time offering explanations that you won't understand.
So how can inflation happen without an increase in money supply?
Old 01-23-23, 09:04 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
On a broader level, if someone is shopping online, why would they buy a Specialized bike through TPC when they can buy that bike directly from Specialized- with service from their local dealer (if they want that)?

As an aside - Specialized has been supportive of our local race scene in Chicago and frequently offers up their two corporate stores (and staff) to help host and sponsor events for local clubs/teams. I generally want to hate the evil corporate overloads - but it hasn't been all bad here.
Old 01-28-23, 09:18 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Like the song says “What goes up must come down , spinning wheels have to go round”……….
Old 07-16-23, 11:33 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 185 Posts
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...aff-reductions

So yet another round of layoffs from TPC (and QBP in this story).

This time, TPC declined to give numbers regarding how many people or percent of their workforce were affected.