Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

£47,000 Jaguar Crushes Bike in Heated Dispute

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

£47,000 Jaguar Crushes Bike in Heated Dispute

Old 11-17-22, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

https://www.biography.com/news/menen...der-case-facts

BTW, no way does that source indicate that people who drive nicer Jaguars are less likely to be antisocial. That's an absurd stretch.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-17-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 02:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Starts at $48k...It'd be worth it to fly to whatever market you are in & drive it back at that price. Here on Jaguar USA it starts at $52,400 base price, base model & goes upwards to $90k
No, starts at $48k in the U.S.:
https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/e-pace/index.html
Old 11-17-22, 03:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
I drove a Jaguar around England once. The rental car agency had guaranteed me a car with an automatic transmission (being an idiot American raised in flat suburbia in the Midwest, I couldn't drive a standard), and it was all they had. It was not a pleasant experience.
Old 11-17-22, 07:54 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I had an F-Pace as a loaner when my car was in the shop for a warranty repair. Compared to my sedan it rides poorly, doesn't turn or stop as well, and got only around 29 MPG on the interstate.

The driver of that vehicle has to be a <deleted>, because only a <deleted> would drive an F-Pace when an XF Sportbrake is an option. Sadly, they are no longer available new in the US.
Old 11-17-22, 08:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
https://www.biography.com/news/menen...der-case-facts

BTW, no way does that source indicate that people who drive nicer Jaguars are less likely to be antisocial. That's an absurd stretch.
The concept of stressed out people at the end of their rope fighting over a perceived scarcity of resources due to a depleted mental tool box exhausted by a constant stream of no-win decisions is not really a stretch.

It seems reasonable that people at the other end of the spectrum with near infinite supply of resources and a deep broad pool of security would be less inclined towards irrational violent behavior.

I mean, when was the last time Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates or other billionaire got in a road rage incident? Doesn't happen.

Fake-rich people stressed out by keeping the illusion of it all & maintaining a cash-flow dependent fiat currency lifestyle are often stressed and act irrational. Those people drive luxury cars like a-holes...The anti-social a-hole we see here. It's the same reason the dirt poor act irrational & do things like buy gold chains, bling rims & get hoppy cars, ridiculously comically large Bro-Trucks & other poor spending decisions...on credit that can't possibly repaid. It's a coping mechanism to rebel against the scarcity of resources. To exercise a brief instant of control over the situation, to refill the emotional gas-tank.

There is a lot here to unpack that is well beyond the scope of BF & deep into the marketing/commerce manipulation of human psychology well. I suggest we leave it there.

Last edited by base2; 11-17-22 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 08:53 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
E-Pace, F-Pace. Got it.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-17-22, 09:14 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts

Actual rich people are on firm enough emotional footing to not act like babies on the street.
If we take "the street" metaphorically, recent behavior in the news might suggest otherwise.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 11-17-22, 09:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

The concept of stressed out people at the end of their rope fighting over a perceived scarcity of resources due to a depleted mental tool box exhausted by a constant stream of no-win decisions is not really a stretch.

It seems reasonable that people at the other end of the spectrum with near infinite supply of resources and a deep broad pool of security would be less inclined towards irrational violent behavior.

I mean, when was the last time Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates or other billionaire got in a road rage incident? Doesn't happen.

Fake-rich people stressed out by keeping the illusion of it all & maintaining a cash-flow dependent fiat currency lifestyle are often stressed and act irrational. Those people drive luxury cars like a-holes...The anti-social a-hole we see here. It's the same reason the dirt poor act irrational & do things like buy gold chains, bling rims & get hoppy cars & other poor spending decisions...on credit. To rebel against the scarcity of resources. To exercise a brief instant of control over the situation, to refill the emotional gas-tank.

There is a lot here to unpack that is well beyond the scope of BF & deep into the marketing/commerce manipulation of human psychology well. I suggest we leave it there.
Cool story, bro. Also complete bs you made up. The rich can buy nondisclosure agreements.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-17-22 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 09:32 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
I mean, when was the last time Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates or other billionaire got in a road rage incident?
For Steve Jobs I can guarantee it was before 05 OCT 2011.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 11-18-22, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JW Fas
For Steve Jobs I can guarantee it was before 05 OCT 2011.

Mel Gibson is pretty rich.
Old 11-18-22, 06:23 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
People drive £47,000 luxury vehicles as status symbols. It's obvious that this cyclist, whatever his motivation was rightfully having none of it. Cars are cars. Status is a construct.

People don't tend to stand on the street in protest against powerful forces unless what they perceive as a grand transgression has taken place.

Whatever transpired between the two, the car driver turned into a sad, sad baby when his status symbol didn't get him the desired result.

Actual rich people are on firm enough emotional footing to not act like babies on the street.
I find it amazing how people can make these deductions based on so little information. You must be far, far more intelligent than I! I, personally, am completely unable to understand how you find sufficient evidence in the video linked to this post to support any of your statements. But, then, my user name ...
Old 11-18-22, 07:56 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
'The matter was concluded by way of a community resolution order issued to the driver, who also agreed to pay compensation for the damage to the man.'

So it looks as if the driver had to explain and justify his actions before some sort of judge or mediator.
Old 11-18-22, 08:22 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
The article indicated the driver was paying for the bike, the cyclist was unhurt and there would be no criminal charges. I don't think this would be handled this way in the US.
Just depends on the money involved. If you were done that way by Joe from down the street, you are probably correct.
If it were someone of means, they'd very probably sue you and force a defense. Maybe something even sillier in a stand your ground state. Like shooting you because they "feared for their life" or sommat.
Old 11-18-22, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Just depends on the money involved. If you were done that way by Joe from down the street, you are probably correct.
If it were someone of means, they'd very probably sue you and force a defense. Maybe something even sillier in a stand your ground state. Like shooting you because they "feared for their life" or sommat.

Most places in the US, I think the existence of that video would cause the driver to be charged criminally. Generally, a car is considered a deadly weapon and it sure looks like he either made contact or intended to.
Old 11-18-22, 10:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by noimagination
I find it amazing how people can make these deductions based on so little information. You must be far, far more intelligent than I! I, personally, am completely unable to understand how you find sufficient evidence in the video linked to this post to support any of your statements. But, then, my user name ...

Well, he can't seem to imagine a very wealthy person acting with a sense of unjustified entitlement, so you're at least even in that department.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-22, 11:58 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
'The matter was concluded by way of a community resolution order issued to the driver, who also agreed to pay compensation for the damage to the man.'

So it looks as if the driver had to explain and justify his actions before some sort of judge or mediator.
"Community Resolutions provide an opportunity for the police to deal with appropriate low level offences and offenders without recourse to formal criminal justice sanctions.
This could include a simple apology, an offer of compensation or a promise to clear up any graffiti or criminal damage."

It is similar, but different, to restorative justice in some US jurisdictions. (Most US jurisdictions with restorative justice require agreement between the victim, the accused, and police, prosecution, defense, and a judge to divert the accused out of the criminal justice system.)

In the UK, with some exceptions, a community resolutions order just requires consent of the victim, the accused, and police at the scene.
(And it requires the accused to admit blame.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 11-18-22, 12:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Well, he can't seem to imagine a very wealthy person acting with a sense of unjustified entitlement, so you're at least even in that department.
No. I can imagine an insanely wealthy person acting with a sense of unjustified entitlement. This is a higher order thought process.

What I said was irrational violent anti-social behavior. which is a base level, emotional response to cumulative stresses.

Fake-rich consumed by stress of balancing "it all" & the poverty stricken worn down by a constant stream of no-win decisions both respond with the same bursts of irrational animal behavior.

How is this new? Been a human on planet Earth long?
Since you are so convinced I made this up, give this a listen:
Hidden Brain.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-18-22, 12:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Yeah, I suggest we leave it there as well. Not because it's difficult to unpack, but because it's a load of doo doo.
Old 11-18-22, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No. I can imagine an insanely wealthy person acting with a sense of unjustified entitlement. This is a higher order thought process.

What I said was irrational violent anti-social behavior. which is a base level, emotional response to cumulative stresses.

Fake-rich consumed by stress of balancing "it all" & the poverty stricken worn down by a constant stream of no-win decisions both respond with the same bursts of irrational animal behavior.

How is this new? Been a human on planet Earth long?
Since you are so convinced I made this up, give this a listen:
Hidden Brain.

You seriously think the scarcity they are referring to is just which model of car or other status trappings? "Scarcity" can refer to anything one wants more of. You can be insanely wealthy and be power hungry, and that leads to all sort of anti-social aggressive behavior.

If you're expecting people to buy into this notion that the rich are somehow less prone to irrational aggression, you're going to have to do a lot better than that. You obviously half-understand the concept you're throwing around here, and acting like it's a logical deduction that someone with x model of Jaguar is more prone to aggression than someone with y model of Jaguar. That's absurd. You don't suddenly become immune to status consciousness at some level of wealth, it could actually be argued that the pressures to maintain status might actually be more intense with the high visibility that great wealth brings.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-22, 10:43 PM
base2 
I am potato.

You seriously think the scarcity they are referring to is just which model of car or other status trappings? "Scarcity" can refer to anything one wants more of. You can be insanely fake wealthy and be power hungry, and that leads to all sort of anti-social aggressive behavior.
Like becoming hyper focused with tunnel vision, consumed with rage & running over a cyclist or his bicycle over some perceived wrong concerning the public resource?

If you're expecting people to buy into this notion that the rich are somehow less prone to irrational aggression, you're going to have to do a lot better than that. You obviously half-understand the concept you're throwing around here, and acting like it's a logical deduction that someone with x model of Jaguar is more prone to aggression than someone with y model of Jaguar. That's absurd.
Not the actual rich. The stressed out & insecure.

Jaguar X, Jaguar Y, Audi, BMW. Doesn't matter. Fake-rich stressed out people gravitate to that which they most desire. (In this case a luxury brand automobile.) It's the cornerstone of luxury brands image. There is a reason those brands have a reputation for being driven by aggressive jerks. It's the behavior that betrays that persons true state.

You don't suddenly become immune to status consciousness at some level of wealth, it could actually be argued that the pressures to maintain status might actually be more intense with the high visibility that great wealth brings.
I didn't say immune to status. I said status is a construct. A construct people susceptible to the image portrayed by luxury brands are susceptible to. Actual secure people have better things to do than to engage in petty disputes over public a resource; Much less be concerned about image among those whom they don't even consider peers.

Maybe it can be rationalized any one of a hundred different ways. Too much to lose. Nothing to be gained. They outsource the worry to a chauffeur or butler... Whatever. The point is their personal psychological security well is deep enough they are not irrationally insecure over petty concerns...That's sort of a defining feature of you know...feeling/being secure.

This is hardly FBI level character deconstruction.

Last edited by base2; 11-19-22 at 12:05 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-19-22, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Like becoming hyper focused with tunnel vision, consumed with rage & running over a cyclist or his bicycle over some perceived wrong concerning the public resource?

Not the actual rich. The stressed out & insecure.

Jaguar X, Jaguar Y, Audi, BMW. Doesn't matter. Fake-rich stressed out people gravitate to that which they most desire. (In this case a luxury brand automobile.) It's the cornerstone of luxury brands image. There is a reason those brands have a reputation for being driven by aggressive jerks. It's the behavior that betrays that persons true state.

I didn't say immune to status. I said status is a construct. A construct people susceptible to the image portrayed by luxury brands are susceptible to. Actual secure people have better things to do than to engage in petty disputes over public a resource; Much less be concerned about image among those whom they don't even consider peers.

Maybe it can be rationalized any one of a hundred different ways. Too much to lose. Nothing to be gained. They outsource the worry to a chauffeur or butler... Whatever. The point is their personal psychological security well is deep enough they are not irrationally insecure over petty concerns...That's sort of a defining feature of you know...feeling/being secure.

This is hardly FBI level character deconstruction.
If you don't think rich people can get emotionally insecure over petty concerns, you obviously don't know any.

I really don't appreciate your putting words into my quotes as if I said them. I reject this notion of fake wealthy vs. real wealthy as being particularly meaningful, so don't insert it into my quote. Impostor syndrome is pretty much endemic to humans, so your assumption that a certain level of wealth brings with it status security, satisfaction, and some version of serenity is just complete bs.

Your whole argument is inane, and really amounts to "money buys emotional security".

TBH, I have never actually seen road rage as intense as what's in the video
--it was very close to attempted murder.

It's something of a one-off. Statistically, no one is likely to do such a thing regardless of social class. You have constructed a ridiculous class-based argument based on the model of the car involved, knowing essentially nothing about the situation or the driver. When such a black swan event occurs, it's unlikely to involve a billionaire, but that's because there really aren't a lot of billionaires.

BTW, is Elon Musk really rich? I'm pretty sure he just crashed at least one major company with petty, impulsive aggression. I doubt he drives a Jaguar.
Old 11-19-22, 06:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Why do we get the value of the car and not the bike as well?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-19-22, 07:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Threaddrift alert!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-22, 08:00 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Why do we get the value of the car and not the bike as well?
Because society values drivers and, unlike the "Wow, You Must Be Rich" thread in General Cycling, assumes cyclists can't afford cars.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-19-22, 01:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Threaddrift alert!!!!!!!

In fairness, the clickbait headline set this off in a really lame direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.