Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brifter hoods and bar tape issue

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-25-22, 09:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts

!!! MAJOR UPDATE !!!
I did some experimentation, and came up with a way to wrap the bar tape which doesn’t cover up any of the indentations in the brifter body.
The key is to start wrapping just behind the brifter clamp, and go outwards towards both top and bottom.

First put a small piece of wrap behind the brifter clamp as usual:

Now place the bar tape onto here, diagonally slanted like this:

You probably want to have 1/3 of the tape for the lower run and 2/3 for the upper.
Now start wrapping both towards the top and bottom
Top:

Bottom:

Finished product:
Note that none of the indents are covered:

original post:

I was putting these Claris R2030 brifters on my bike and I notice that there are a bunch of protrusions on the inside of the brifter hoods:

they are supposed to go into corresponding indents on the brifter body. But as you can see - many of these indents are covered up by the bar tape. I already re-wrapped the tape to avoid the larger indents but numerous smaller ones remain covered up.
What are you supposedly to do here? I ended up slicing off some of the protrusions with a knife but I don’t think that is what Shimano meant for you to do.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 01-29-23 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-25-22, 09:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
What are you supposedly to do here?
Don't wrap so far up the base of the STI unit. The tape only needs to go up far enough so that the hood covers the edge.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-25-22, 09:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
+1 Simply don't cover the indentations on the shifters with the tape.
Old 11-25-22, 10:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

How do you do the figure-8 bar wrapping, without covering up those locations?
Old 11-25-22, 10:33 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Tape usually comes with two short sections that you wrap from side to side.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-25-22, 10:33 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 100 Posts
Most sets of bar tape come with two strips that you stick around the bend, temporarily held by the adhesive, then overlap it with your regular tape. No need to 'figure eight' it. Don't worry about covering up the smaller holes towards the rear where the indents offset.
Old 11-25-22, 10:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
How do you do the figure-8 bar wrapping, without covering up those locations?
One option is to use the little 3" stripes of tape that come with the rolls and don't figure 8.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-25-22, 10:37 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

6:40...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-25-22, 10:58 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by curbtender
I actually use the technique he recommends in 8:11 (the non-figure-8 figure-8), but it most certainly does cover up some holes. Basically you are pulling up a bar tape's width worth of tape over the brifter body so I am not seeing how you can avoid covering some indents.
Old 11-25-22, 11:00 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
.....No need to 'figure eight' it. ....
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
.... don't figure 8.
So you guys don't reverse direction between the drops and the tops? Is that whole figure-8 thing out of fashion now?
Old 11-25-22, 11:21 PM
curbtender

With vinyl or cloth but padded tape is too thick.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-26-22, 10:28 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I 'figure 8' every bar I wrap. I start pulling out on the drop, figure 8 at the SHIFTER, end up pulling forward on the tops. The only tape that is a problem is the 2 thicker sizes of Lizard Skins DSP, the 3.2mm and 4.5mm.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-26-22, 11:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
One option is to use the little 3" stripes of tape that come with the rolls and don't figure 8.
And if the tape doesn't come with them, you can usually cut 3" off each roll and still have plenty.

FWIW I have covered up the indentations unintentionally before and didn't even notice it after putting the hoods back in place and riding. Not a big deal unless it's bothering you for some reason.
Old 01-29-23, 05:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

I made an update to the first post- I found a way to wrap the bar which doesn’t cover the indentations, and also reverses the overlap for the drops so that it follows the same pattern as the hoods.
Old 01-29-23, 05:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I 'figure 8' every bar I wrap... The only tape that is a problem is the 2 thicker sizes of Lizard Skins...
And cotton; it folds over on itself if you do the figure 8.
Old 01-29-23, 08:16 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Most sets of bar tape come with two strips that you stick around the bend, temporarily held by the adhesive, then overlap it with your regular tape. No need to 'figure eight' it. Don't worry about covering up the smaller holes towards the rear where the indents offset.
I was today years old when I realized you could do this. I always 'figure eight' it, but I often have trouble getting it so that the bar is perfectly wrapped. I will be definitely using this method the next time I have to wrap my bars.
Old 01-29-23, 09:04 PM
Koyote

I made an update to the first post- I found a way to wrap the bar which doesn’t cover the indentations, and also reverses the overlap for the drops so that it follows the same pattern as the hoods.
Still a fail. On the drops, you've got the tape's edge facing upward; if you use the drops much, those edges will soon start to roll downward and look like crap.

Start at the bottom, roll toward the top, and just wrap the shifters without covering the little notches. It's not difficult.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-29-23, 10:41 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by Koyote
Still a fail. On the drops, you've got the tape's edge facing upward; if you use the drops much, those edges will soon start to roll downward and look like crap.
But your hand would be pushing forward on the drops, no different than when your hand is on the hood, right? Does your hand pull backwards on the drops?

Start at the bottom, roll toward the top, and just wrap the shifters without covering the little notches. It's not difficult.
As I said before- it's impossible to do a traditional figure-8, or one-sided-figure-8, without covering up at least some of the indentations on this R2000 brifter. Whereas with this new method, it's very easy to avoid all the indentations. I did it the first time around, no contortions at all. The other benefit is that it's less bulky than figure-8.
Old 01-29-23, 11:00 PM
Koyote

But your hand would be pushing forward on the drops, no different than when your hand is on the hood, right? Does your hand pull backwards on the drops?
With your hands in the drops, there is downward pressure on the bar. This is why handlebars are wrapped from the bottom towards the top -- so that the edges are facing downward in the drops; as you've now done it, your hands will be pushing the tape's edges downward, and hence it won't last as long before getting tatty.

Seriously, go into ANY bike shop on the planet and look at the new bikes -- I can practically guarantee that you will not find a single one with the drops wrapped as in your photos. Nor will you find a single "how to" video that wraps from the hoods downward. So don't kid yourself into believing that you've come up with a superior solution. But it's your bike, and your wrap. Knock yourself out.

btw, I have Shimano shifters on all of my geared bikes, and wrap them from the bottom up, and have never had the issues you're describing. You need to stop worrying about this 'figure eight' stuff and just wrap 'em. I couldn't even tell you how I do it, but it's easy, doesn't interfere with the hoods, and works fine. No bulkiness.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-29-23 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-29-23, 11:56 PM
icemilkcoffee 

With your hands in the drops, there is downward pressure on the bar.
If you are talking about the part of the bar just behind the brake levers, I can agree that it is downward pressure. But the part of the drops that is further back and closer to the rider is similar to the hoods area- your hand pressure is pushing forward.
This is why handlebars are wrapped from the bottom towards the top -- so that the edges are facing downward in the drops. Seriously, go into ANY bike shop on the planet and look at the new bikes -- I can practically guarantee that you will not find a single one with the drops wrapped as in your photos. But if it works for you, knock yourself out.
People do it the way it's typically done because:
1. People have this binary thinking of either starting from the bottom or starting from the top. They don't think of starting from the middle and going out towards both ends.
2. If you wrap from bottom up, you are favoring the hoods area. If you wrap from the top down, you are favoring the drops area. Most people spend most of their time on the hoods. Hence bottom up. It's a compromise. Whereas if you start from the middle like I am doing here, it works for both the drops and the hood. No compromise necessary.
Old 01-30-23, 07:26 AM
Koyote

If you are talking about the part of the bar just behind the brake levers, I can agree that it is downward pressure. But the part of the drops that is further back and closer to the rider is similar to the hoods area- your hand pressure is pushing forward.

People do it the way it's typically done because:
1. People have this binary thinking of either starting from the bottom or starting from the top. They don't think of starting from the middle and going out towards both ends.
2. If you wrap from bottom up, you are favoring the hoods area. If you wrap from the top down, you are favoring the drops area. Most people spend most of their time on the hoods. Hence bottom up. It's a compromise. Whereas if you start from the middle like I am doing here, it works for both the drops and the hood. No compromise necessary.
Okey dokey.
Old 01-30-23, 07:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Wrap your bars and ride your bike. If you need to re-wrap, do so. It is not the science of the rocket, here.

If you like what you do and no one is hurt, just do it.
Old 01-30-23, 09:10 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3429 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,721 Posts
None of this is true, and wrapped properly from the bottom up, there is no compromise. But like others have said, you do you.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-30-23, 10:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I think its neat that you are trying something different.
At the same time, I have never really felt the way I do it is lacking in any manner. I dont figure-8 bar tape because the thick tape when figure-8 routed just ends up making the hood area bulbously large. Thinner tape has resulted in good wrapping with the figure-8 wrap.
Old 01-30-23, 10:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
And if the tape doesn't come with them, you can usually cut 3" off each roll and still have plenty.
Pro Tip: Make sure you still have plenty before cutting off the 3" strips. Ask me how I learned this :-)
Likes For Sy Reene:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.