Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Pro no more

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Pro no more

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 12:57 PM
spiker

Bikes: Lotus Odyssey - Shogun 400 - '75 Raleigh Tourist - Raleigh Grand Prix - Gitane Tour de France- Schwinn Le Tour - Univega Maxima Sport (winter bike) Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A Pro no more

The Brooks Professional I've had since 1976/7 bought the farm, the actual leather saddle is still in great shape, the rails snapped where it mounts to the seat post. I recall there is someone who will cut & mount fresh leather on your old seat frame, wondering about the inverse, can my old seat go on an old rail?

Anyone have that guys contact info or suggestions.

an aside: Anyone reading this that was on the fall CCRT ride, this happened on my next ride, a 17 mile loop home to the roundabout in Dennis, just over a mile from home. Looks like if I had ridden the entire ride that day, it would have failed somewhere near that roundabout.
Old 01-04-23, 01:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by spiker
The Brooks Professional I've had since 1976/7 bought the farm, the actual leather saddle is still in great shape, the rails snapped where it mounts to the seat post. I recall there is someone who will cut & mount fresh leather on your old seat frame, wondering about the inverse, can my old seat go on an old rail?

an aside: Anyone reading this that was on the fall CCRT ride, this happened on my next ride, a 17 mile loop home to the roundabout in Dennis, just over a mile from home. Looks like if I had ridden the entire ride that day, it would have failed somewhere near that roundabout.
Paging @rhm
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-04-23, 02:05 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

Yes, I can do that. Send me a PM at your leisure.
Old 01-04-23, 05:24 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 133 Posts

If it were mine, I would look around for a stretched out or cracked saddle with a good undercarriage and swap tops. I've never seen the rails break on a Pro. The challenge would be getting the rivets right. You can get them from Brooks, and even a complete undercarriage, but then you have to ship them from England.
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/repairs
Old 01-04-23, 06:55 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
If it were mine, I would look around for a stretched out or cracked saddle with a good undercarriage and swap tops. I've never seen the rails break on a Pro. The challenge would be getting the rivets right. You can get them from Brooks, and even a complete undercarriage, but then you have to ship them from England.
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/repairs
What he said. Conversely, you could sell me your broken-railed Brooks so I can cop the top for my own torn-leather Brooks.

New rivets should only be necessary if re-leathering, because if I recall correctly you can just release the tension on the saddle and remove the top from the undercarriage in order to swap parts around.
Old 01-04-23, 07:57 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
What he said. Conversely, you could sell me your broken-railed Brooks so I can cop the top for my own torn-leather Brooks.

New rivets should only be necessary if re-leathering, because if I recall correctly you can just release the tension on the saddle and remove the top from the undercarriage in order to swap parts around.
No, sorry, you cannot just release the tension &c; they don't disassemble that easy. The only way to disassemble a Brooks type leather saddle is by removing rivets. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you may not have to remove all of them.

The frame consists of a C-shaped steel cantle plate welded to a steel rail, plus the nose hardware, which is three more pieces of steel, one on which is called the nose piece.

The leather is riveted to the cantle plate with six rivets, and to the nose piece with three.

OP broke the rail, which means the frame is dead. Six rivets need to be removed (destructively) to free the leather, which can then be riveted to a new (or used) frame. The nose piece and its three rivets can be saved.

Brooks frames break now and then. I think I've done this exact job five or six times; which means I've seen five or six Brooks frames that broke this way.
i find this oddly reassuring; if they never broke this way, i'd think they were overbuilt; the fact that they break very rarely tells me they have just about the right amount of steel in them. It's a compromise, of course. The right amount of steel for one rider may be too much or too little for the next (see Goldilocks).

Last edited by rhm; 01-04-23 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 09:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...IaAg_tEALw_wcB
Old 01-05-23, 10:12 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts