Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Cycling Have a Drinking Problem?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Cycling Have a Drinking Problem?

Old 01-20-23, 02:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
^ username checks out.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-23, 02:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Teatotalers are as irksome as the folks who knock on your door at 8AM on a Saturday and want to enlighten you on their religion. Same mindset.
Agreed
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-20-23, 05:13 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Teatotalers are as irksome as the folks who knock on your door at 8AM on a Saturday and want to enlighten you on their religion. Same mindset.
FYI, it's "teetotalers," not "teatotalers."

I haven't seen anyone in this thread advising others to drink or not to drink---just reporting their own experiences.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-20-23, 09:28 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
FYI, it's "teetotalers," not "teatotalers."

I haven't seen anyone in this thread advising others to drink or not to drink---just reporting their own experiences.
Exactly, but people often get defensive when it comes to drinking and see your choice not to drink as you being sactimoniously judgemental, when all you've said is "no thanks, I don't drink" after being offered a beer. To be fair, though, some ex-drinkers are vocal about what others choose to do, but that agressive defensiveness caused by your mere presence gets a bit old at times.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 01-20-23, 10:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Teetotalers just FYI but no abstaining from alcohol is not irksome and I don't think anyone here has done any preaching or anything like that. Talking about your experiences and encouraging people to drink a little less especially when they are maybe drinking to excess or providing resources for those who might want help is certainly not anything like people preaching. People who cannot admit they might have an issue or at least accept that not drinking is OK have the real issue.

People always like to complain when their dominant activity which is being accepted as the norm is not being promoted. There are alcohol commercials and promotion of alcohol everywhere but how dare someone say maybe drink a little less or if you need help there are some places to help or just say hey I had a drinking problem and this is what happened to me and that is it.

I enjoy alcohol but I sometimes realize that yeah maybe I have gone farther than I need to but if you want to drink drink drink go for it do your thing. If you don't great there are people and groups to help but do whatever I just would hate to see people destroy their lives over alcohol, I have seen it before and had friends die but I haven't stopped drinking because of it I have just tried to be reasonable and enjoy my alcohol not just take it as a contest to drink the most.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-20-23, 10:37 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Teetotalers just FYI but no abstaining from alcohol is not irksome and I don't think anyone here has done any preaching or anything like that. Talking about your experiences and encouraging people to drink a little less especially when they are maybe drinking to excess or providing resources for those who might want help is certainly not anything like people preaching. People who cannot admit they might have an issue or at least accept that not drinking is OK have the real issue.

People always like to complain when their dominant activity which is being accepted as the norm is not being promoted. There are alcohol commercials and promotion of alcohol everywhere but how dare someone say maybe drink a little less or if you need help there are some places to help or just say hey I had a drinking problem and this is what happened to me and that is it.

I enjoy alcohol but I sometimes realize that yeah maybe I have gone farther than I need to but if you want to drink drink drink go for it do your thing. If you don't great there are people and groups to help but do whatever I just would hate to see people destroy their lives over alcohol, I have seen it before and had friends die but I haven't stopped drinking because of it I have just tried to be reasonable and enjoy my alcohol not just take it as a contest to drink the most.
Vegan, you just proved my experience.
Old 01-20-23, 11:15 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
I got a DUI on a bike. Made the newspaper, San Jose Mercury. "Pedaling While Pickled" was the headline. They were going to suspend my license for three years and my insurance would have gone up.

I got online and researched the DMV laws. Much to my delight, I discovered a new law that had just been passed that said that a bicycle DUI could not count against your vehicle record. They removed the suspension and my rates stayed the same.

Turns out a California state senator's son got arrested for a bike DUI. So he pushed for the law to be changed. That's the way politics works.

Neat thing was they put the bike in the trunk of the patrol car. I got to pick it up from the station free of charge,no towing fee,no impound fee,no release form needed.

Some of my best riding has been done when hammered drunk. One time on vodka and cocaine I sprinted up a 20 percent grade in the tallest gear on my stump jumper, a hill that I normally use the lowest gear.

Another time I took the road bike out at night after an all night drinking session. I went down a ultra steep MTN bike trail full of 1 foot deep ruts, did it at night with no light, kept the skinny tires on top of the narrow rut peak and made it down without a dab.

Then there was the night on the dirt bike with no light after a case of Mickey,s...

Last edited by cjenrick; 01-20-23 at 11:22 PM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 01-20-23, 11:42 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
As someone who has a real congenital heart defect which culminated in a year's lost work and thus income, and who's ongoing treatment is found at one of the top thirty hospitals in heart care, I've not been told to avoid alcohol by any heart professional. Maybe because I rarely drink to begin with. From what I gather, the symptoms of moderate (take that for what you will, I suppose) drinking have been largely overstated. Refraining from keeping (or trying to keep) up with your peers in any activity after you hit middle age might be a bigger problem.

Here's a better idea. If your friends don't drink, don't let them dictate whether or not you do. If your friends do drink, same answer.

My family, extended as well, is a poor example for this thread. They all drank and lived well into their eightes. Does this infer genetics? No idea. I'm the only one with heart problems. No one else in my family has had this issue. (yet it's congenital)

I remember when eggs were bad for you. And coffee. Then red meat. I forget what the latest boogeyman is, but if you avoid it you won't ever die.
Old 01-20-23, 11:52 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
i suppose it’s because i’m not part of any social cycling culture other than a few close friends who also ride, but the connection between the two seems extremely strange to me. exercise, exercise on a vehicle… and alcohol? i don’t even feel all that great riding hard after eating, let alone with a buzz. and that great cleaned out feeling after a hard ride would be ruined by a buzz.

… and i love to drink, socially, occasionally, and far more than is healthy on those occasions.
Old 01-21-23, 04:50 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by mschwett
i suppose it’s because i’m not part of any social cycling culture other than a few close friends who also ride, but the connection between the two seems extremely strange to me. exercise, exercise on a vehicleand alcohol? i don’t even feel all that great riding hard after eating, let alone with a buzz. and that great cleaned out feeling after a hard ride would be ruined by a buzz.

… and i love to drink, socially, occasionally, and far more than is healthy on those occasions.
I don't think anybody here was advocating drinking and riding at the same time. We're talking about enjoying a drink at home after a ride.
Old 01-21-23, 04:54 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by shrtdstncrdr

I remember when eggs were bad for you. And coffee. Then red meat. I forget what the latest boogeyman is, but if you avoid it you won't ever die.
The latest boogeyman is carbohydrates...There are experts on internet claiming that avoiding carbohydrates will cure all diseases and extend your lifespan.

Last edited by wolfchild; 01-21-23 at 04:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-21-23, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
This says more about your narrow mindset really.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-21-23, 07:12 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Vegan, you just proved my experience.
Exactly how am I like someone preaching at you? Maybe it is reading comprehension issues, which are very common.

If you are able to, and no judgement if not, I would try and read my second paragraph, that explains things decently and why you believe it is preaching. If say more people, places and things were alcohol-free and drinking was not the norm you would be complaining "those drinkers are preaching at me", if someone mentioned drinking even if it was just I enjoy Mezcal sometimes. It is quite common not just on this topic but all over the place. If the dominant behavior is not portrayed then people go crazy. They don't like for the non-dominant opinion to be supported in anyway and they feel like they are being challenged even if not being challenged at all.

Like I said in the previous post if you want to drink go for it, if you don't fine. I just personally don't recommend drinking to excess and for myself in my own life, and not others, I am trying to cut back. You don't have to do that, it might be something to try but if you don't want to whatever.
Old 01-21-23, 08:12 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I think all my cycling friends drink pretty heavy.
And I probably drink a bit too much too. But certainly doesn't seem like a problem.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-21-23, 10:33 AM
wolfchild
Banned

This has nothing to do with health. Anytime a topic of alcohol comes up it becomes a moral debate.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-21-23, 10:35 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't think anybody here was advocating drinking and riding at the same time. We're talking about enjoying a drink at home after a ride.
seems like people are talking about quite a few things, including drinking at a social stop during a ride, or after a ride, or by yourself at home after a ride. just doesn’t have any appeal to me in whichever order, and as i said i do enjoy drinking. not a moral or health issue at all to me. just two activities that don’t go well together.
Old 01-21-23, 11:15 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
If you're a cyclist, you might have a drinking problem.

But if you're a cyclist and a runner, there's no hope for you.

Then again, it could be worse. You could be a triathete:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-21-23, 04:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Alcohol abstinence or teetotaling has it's roots and origins in religious dogma. So yes it's exactly the same mindset. It's all about moral virtues and moral superiority and has nothing to do with health.
Old 01-21-23, 04:45 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I heard a singer say she was giving up on sober and is now soberish.
Old 01-21-23, 04:59 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I don't think cycling has any more of a drinking problem than any other sport. If a person is prone to alcohol addiction that carries into every facet of their life. For most people, casual drinking is part of everyday life and they can control it. Others can't control it.

Then there are the Hash House Harriers or "Hashers", a drinking and running club that originated in Kuala Lumpur in 1938 and took off from there with clubs all over the world. I ran in one of their events many years ago and although a lot of fun I never did it again.
Old 01-21-23, 05:09 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I am sure there are more alcoholics amongst the non-cycling community then within the cycling community.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-21-23, 05:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Alcohol abstinence or teetotaling has it's roots and origins in religious dogma. So yes it's exactly the same mindset. It's all about moral virtues and moral superiority and has nothing to do with health.
Not quite. The accusation that people choose to abstain for some specific reason that can be imputed to dogma reminds me of this old joke:

"Why are you growing a beard?"

"I'm not doing anything. You're shaving."

In my case, I decided not to bother with drinking after wondering as a kid why anyone would deliberately ingest toxins. Plenty of my friends, during and after our teen years, tried to persuade me to try drinking (or taking drugs) with them. I would just laugh. I guess I have more resistance to peer pressure than average. It is true that they were usually fun to be around after they started drinking, for about an hour.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-21-23 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-21-23, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

This has nothing to do with health. Anytime a topic of alcohol comes up it becomes a moral debate.
In my case I am talking health. I don't care about morals in this case, generally I don't find alcohol to be immoral. Alcohol is fine, excessive drinking is just not great for the health and the health of those around you in some cases. However if you want to drink yourself into a stupor go for it. Just don't involve us. However I would take a little better care of yourself, not for me not for anyone else but for yourself.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-21-23, 10:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Please show me the moralizing in this thread. I must have missed it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-21-23, 10:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I am sure there are more alcoholics amongst the non-cycling community then within the cycling community.
That's a meaningless claim, since the former group is much larger than the latter group.
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.