Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brake pad replacement for Dia Compe/Suntour Alpha 5000 holders?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 04:11 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I have a pair of Suntour Alpha 5000 branded Dia Compe brakes, which have some metal pad holders. They are in good shape and appear to allow for pad replacement, plus look nice with the brakes. I cleaned up the pads in there but they are still too hard, and are need of replacing.

I was wondering if anyone knew what pad inserts might work for these holders? Standard modern road pads are too small and not the right shape. Perhaps some variety of Kool Stop?

thanks!

Old 01-16-23, 06:41 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I use KoolStop pads on all of my vintage bikes. Inserts when they fit and their basic Continental pad when they don't. While KoolStop don't seem to make a direct replacement for DiaCompe, it looks like some of the other inserts may work. I'd recommend asking them directly: techinfo@koolstop.com
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-17-23, 09:59 AM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I use KoolStop pads on all of my vintage bikes. Inserts when they fit and their basic Continental pad when they don't. While KoolStop don't seem to make a direct replacement for DiaCompe, it looks like some of the other inserts may work. I'd recommend asking them directly: techinfo@koolstop.com
Thanks for the reply. I've just emailed them at the address you shared, to ask about pad compatibility.
Old 02-02-23, 03:46 PM
drewfio

Just wanted to follow up here, in case anyone stumbles upon this in the future—I found compatible pads.

I emailed KoolStop, and they replied saying they thought the Campagnolo Delta C Record pads would fit, model KS-CDSA. I measured to see how close it was, and it seemed pretty close. I ordered them, and they do indeed fit. Awesome. I had a heck of a time getting them in, but they are in. See attached photo.

Likes For drewfio:
Old 02-02-23, 03:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Good Deal

Is that a New Rose '87 Bianchi Sport SX?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-23, 04:21 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Good Deal

Is that a New Rose '87 Bianchi Sport SX?
It is! Great eye. Well I know it is a 1987 Bianchi Sport SX. I did not know the color's name, so I'll take your word for it that it is called New Rose

I've been overhauling it for a friend. The bike is nearly complete. Still need to tend to a few things—rear brake cabled up, different tires, different brake levers, likely new bar tape (any color suggestion besides black?).

Likes For drewfio:
Old 02-02-23, 04:29 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
If direct replacements aren’t available from Kool Stop, I measure the mounting area of the old pads and compare to their pad’s measurements shown online. I buy the one that fits the closest, then trim off any unnecessary bits. FYI - their Weinmann X pads fit the curved holders for Weinmann 405 holders with just minor trimming.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 02-03-23, 07:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
It is! Great eye. Well I know it is a 1987 Bianchi Sport SX. I did not know the color's name, so I'll take your word for it that it is called New Rose

I've been overhauling it for a friend. The bike is nearly complete. Still need to tend to a few things—rear brake cabled up, different tires, different brake levers, likely new bar tape (any color suggestion besides black?).

Nice bike. Simple elevation process and wild guess! Sadly the Alpha 5000 group wasn't around long and the '87 Sport SX was probably one the more popular models with it. It came in black or New Rose and Tange decal and fork crown look just like the one I used to have. Despite having an apartment full of Columbus tubed thoroughbreds I still miss that bike

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk