Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orbea bikes and owners here

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 02:00 PM
dragonflybikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This thread can be for those wanting to know more about Orbea bikes and for owners of Orbea bikes to talk about them and to post pics.
Old 10-17-05, 02:04 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had my Orbea Onix frame for a couple of weeks now and have just been waiting on my Campy Chorus group to come in. It got delayed due to the Interbike show in Vegas. The parts finally came in today. I don't use the word stoked very much, but man am I stoked. I will start building it up tonight when I get home from work. I may not be able to go to bed untill it is done.
Old 10-17-05, 02:18 PM
thad

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, but was only to take it out on a longer ride (55 miles is long for me anyway) this past weekend. I also have a Cannondale R700. I was starting to feel like the R700 was a little too small for me. I think I just started to get into better shape and my position changed. Anyway, I love the Orbea. It feels smoother, and less of the road comes up through the bike. The downside is that the R700 does feel a bit quicker both in terms of spin up and handling. However, I think I like the ride of the Orbea better, especially on the longer rides. Orbea also has campy on it, and I think I like the feel of it a bit better, but the differences there are minor. Pic:

Old 10-17-05, 02:29 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Orbea Dauphine (very similar to the Marmolada in the previous post but with Ultegra 10 insted of Campy) that I have been riding since the begining of August and I absolutly love it. Everything about it makes me want to ride (with the exception of the fact that I need a new stem for some minor fit issues but that is coming soon). I will post some pictures as soon as I can get away from work long enough to breathe, let alone do anything else.
Old 10-17-05, 02:36 PM
LSPR_MTU
whzzzzzzzzz-bam!

Bikes: Trek 1000, Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thad
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, but was only to take it out on a longer ride (55 miles is long for me anyway) this past weekend. I also have a Cannondale R700. I was starting to feel like the R700 was a little too small for me. I think I just started to get into better shape and my position changed. Anyway, I love the Orbea. It feels smoother, and less of the road comes up through the bike. The downside is that the R700 does feel a bit quicker both in terms of spin up and handling. However, I think I like the ride of the Orbea better, especially on the longer rides. Orbea also has campy on it, and I think I like the feel of it a bit better, but the differences there are minor. Pic:

^ Hot.
Old 10-17-05, 02:51 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have a 2005 onyx LE... its an onyx frame w/ a slightly cheaper component group. Aluminium crank and handlebar/stem instead of carbon.

It's my first bike that isn't a hybrid or MTB, so i can't compare it much, but i liked the fit more than any of the Giant, cannondale, or Specialized bikes i test rode. oh and it's damn pretty IMHO.

Last edited by brianappleby; 10-17-05 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-17-05, 02:54 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to take new pics of the Ultrafoco Carbon. I've had it since September of '03. Steel with carbon seatstays, 60c size. Just put FSA K-force Megaexo cranks on it as well as a Ritchey WCS alloy seatpost to replace the old Thomson (not enough setback even with the setback post). '03 Record, Fizik Aliante that was a gift from Wifey before I got this frame, Look CX-6 ti pedals, Ritchey WCS front end including fork, Record/Velocity wheelset, Rolf Prima Elan Aero wheels for climbing and racing. The new crank/bb does seem to stiffen things up a bit; no more chain rubbing on the front derailleur when I'm out of the saddle and the derailleur cage is close to everything. Rides like a dream, though. No where near as stiff as the CAAD3 Cannodale it replaced (but lives on as a fixie), but stiff enough that I'm not losing races because of the frame. Beautiful bike, I love it.
Old 10-17-05, 03:24 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thad, I almost got that exact same bike. I just decided to bite the bullet and push my budget to the max and get the Onix. Did you get it on ebay by any chance? I saw one of those a few weeks ago on ebay.
Old 10-17-05, 04:32 PM
Milford Bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Orbea's as well but am 6'5" and see that Orbea has a large frame listed at 60cm. Do they make larger frames as a special order?

Thanks
Old 10-17-05, 04:46 PM
jslopez
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Orca is my first road bike (before I get labelled as some Arrogant ****er please note that I got this in lieu of a car). All I can say is it's inspired my to keep riding. The only downside being I get no props for any improvements as a lot of people attibute it to the bike... sigh.

Lost 15% body fat and 40 lb in the last year though so to hell what other people think.
Old 10-17-05, 04:55 PM
rickkko
TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orbea has some nice looking frames but I have a pet peeve with them and any other bike manufacture that clutters up their frame with a sticker saying, "www.bikemfg.com" To me that is the most un-bike sticker of all stickers. Nowadays that kind of info is nearly intuitive.

..rickko..
Old 10-17-05, 05:10 PM
Bedazzle
Bob

Bikes: Leader 785R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2006 Orca and thet droped the internet site address from the chain stay. On the other hand it does have Orbea on it in 7 places on each side of the bike besides having the Orca emblem. They did it very nicely though it does not look to be as affensive as the way Trek is on their bikes. I can't figure out where to put my name on in vinal or airbrush.
I rode my Orca for the first time this weekend. It is stiff yet rides nice and I have it set up just right. I had a Serotta fitter make some recomendations and I had top change everything he did. The guy had me so upright I though I was going to fall over backwards.
Great bike.
Old 10-17-05, 05:34 PM
rickkko
TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sold on some of Trek's labeling either; especially the huge ZR9000 decal on the seat tube. It's plum ugly to me... but I do like some of their bike frame geometries. They seem to fit my body measurements like they were designed specifically for me.

..rickko..
Old 10-17-05, 05:40 PM
Bedazzle
Bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end the bike that fits you the best is the best bike.
Old 10-17-05, 05:41 PM
Bedazzle
Bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end the bike that fits you the best is the best bike.
Old 10-17-05, 05:58 PM
was_bmxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, not sure if anyone has answered for you yet. I am 195cm/6-5ish and weigh around 90kg's and have a custom made orbea. It was very inexpensive and has held up fine for over 3 years now. I ride it pretty hard, bunnyhop anything, race crits on it (b grade, maybe that is cat 2 for you guys in the usa???). It's made from zonal, workhorse alu. You pick the paint job you want, fork type, and more or less anything you want from it. Downside is that to get anything longer than a 60cm top tube is a problem, warranty issues with columbus (or so I was told). I ride/need a 61 cm square. It took about 3 months as well, ordered in July, summer holidays in europe, etc etc.

Overall, It has been hassle free, fits perfect (fitting by stephen hogg), comfy even with a full alu frame and straight blade carbon fork and most important to me (and other big chaps) is pretty much flex free.
Old 10-17-05, 09:05 PM
thad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonflybikes
Thad, I almost got that exact same bike. I just decided to bite the bullet and push my budget to the max and get the Onix. Did you get it on ebay by any chance? I saw one of those a few weeks ago on ebay.
I did get it on ebay, about two weeks ago. Some bike shop out of WI. Ag2r had a thread linking the auctions one day. I checked the geometry and it seemed like it would work well, so I bought it on a whim after having seen the same bike in a shop here over the summer. I think I got an ok deal. Actually, given how much I love the bike now, I'm sure I did. I love the paint jobs on these bikes.
Old 10-17-05, 10:07 PM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My blue baby.................she just hit 1,650 miles.........The Arizona MS150 is in 2 weeks or so, I think I'm ready for it. I'm top 6 in fundraisers with $2,506 and more coming in WOOHOO!!!!

.............and to think I have posted this pic at least 4 times, but this thread makes it 5
Old 10-18-05, 01:15 AM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shnapper, that is one beauty of a bike, wow. Is that an Orca? Orbea knows how to take a production paint job and make it rival the Trek Project One and Colnago paint jobs. IMO
Old 10-18-05, 01:19 AM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here are the first two stages of my new Orbea Onix being built. If I don't hit any snags I should have it done tommorrow.

Well these photos just go to show you how, different cameras and different lighting can make the colors look totally different.
Old 10-18-05, 08:52 AM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shnapper, What part of AZ are you in? I am going to have to keep an eye out for you bike. I am in North Phoenix.
Old 10-18-05, 09:08 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you south AZ folks make it up north very often? I've got great roads here on Navajo.
Old 10-18-05, 11:49 AM
thad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shnapper
My blue baby
Woah, that's nice. First time I've seen it, thanks for posting.
Old 10-18-05, 01:01 PM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonflybikes
shnapper, What part of AZ are you in? I am going to have to keep an eye out for you bike. I am in North Phoenix.

I'm in north Phoenix also, 32nd & Union Hills area........

I do MB on occasion also, cave creek dam, pima & dynamite or trail 100. I need to get in the dirt soon, I have been training on the road for this MS150 and have neglected my body of good cross training for lord knows what reason. I guess I like finishing rides not covered in dirt lately, but now I'm missing the dusty shoes and crusty tasting upper lip after a good MB ride.
Old 10-18-05, 04:34 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shnapper, I am quite close to you. I am at 7th St & TBird. Do you ever do the Thr night ride on the MoonValley loop? Or do you ever do the Saturday or Sunday morning ride that leaves Moon Valley park? I even ride with a guy who is buying a house very close to you either 36th St or 40th St & U.H. He is a good rider and does the Moon Valley Thr night loop as well. He is looking at replacing his Giant carbon fiber bike with a new one and will only do carbon fiber. Maybee we can both gang up on him and have him get an Orbea as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.