Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Old 05-20-14, 03:09 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
A mirror mounted on the head tube, and tilted correctly will allow one to see straight ahead while having your face aiming at the ground.
Seems that would make the mirror fixed and the rider would constantly stare at the mirror
Old 05-20-14, 05:30 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Isn't this a problem that has already been solved with regular cycling glasses with prescription lenses?
Has the problem been solved? I have some sports glasses but when I tilt my head down I can see the top part of the frame. I have yet to encounter cycling/sports glasses with lenses which come up as high on the forehead. Many of them seem to take prescription lenses as inserts.

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Hah hah! You ride with those glasses?

I use it on my trike, when there is a strong headwind. It's more aero than keeping your head tipped up to see through the tops of your glasses. It works perfectly in light traffic, Not well in traffic. There was a company that produced a mirror just for this effect. I'm not saying that the glasses don't work. This is more aero but there is not much fine detail to see in traffic. The glasses seem like they would be better in traffic. The mirror may work better in a triathlon. I had it on a bike with aero bars, it was really great.
I am sorry. I thought you were joking when you mentioned the mirror above. To be honest the glasses are not ideal since I do still have to keep my head up a bit. I would like to try a mirror too, but I can't find them.

Someone here
Imagine a heads up display for a bike... kinda: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
says that the mirrors made a brief appearance in the late 80s early 90s.

I have found the product
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwit...ars._P2935266/
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Sl...met_P1296879-2
It was called a WINDCHEETAH forward viewing system but it does not seem to be available right now.

Last edited by timtak; 05-20-14 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 06:24 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I get what you're saying -- it's not the prescription thing, it's when you're in the drops and looking forward, you see the tops of the glasses -- I have the same problem.

I, too, commend your effort, but while I'm no slave to fashion, I really don't think I could wear the snooker-glasses.

Something like THIS however, might be closer:

They appear tall enough to be out of one's line of vision, even while in the drops and offer enough wind protection so as to not allow one's contact lenses to utterly dry out and fly off one's eyeballs during extended descents.
Old 05-20-14, 06:29 PM
goenrdoug

of course there are these as well.

Old 05-20-14, 06:33 PM
goenrdoug

orhey, maybe even some of these:

Old 05-20-14, 08:39 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Those sunglasses will all work with contact lenses. The Goofy Glasses are only for those that want to wear prescription spectacles.

There are prescription sunglasses, but I find it difficult to believe that the top part of the frame does not obscure vision.
https://www.adseyewear.com/prescripti...ng-sunglasses/

I may go back to contacts and use them with sunglasses, but for the past many years I have not liked putting things in my eyes. On the other hand I would like some tinted goofy snooker glasses, perhaps in orange.

Last edited by timtak; 05-20-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 08:53 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I may have recommended these before somewhere, but they deserve their own thread.

When I am low on my road bike I get a pain in my neck from having to put my heads up so that I can see out of my spectacles, rather than above them.
I had the same issue, so I just turned my glasses upside down and I think it had the same effect as your custom jobbies.
I got another bike since then and no longer have the problem though.
Old 05-20-14, 09:51 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I had the same issue, so I just turned my glasses upside down and I think it had the same effect as your custom jobbies.I got another bike since then and no longer have the problem though.
Yes, I think that my custom gg's are essentially the same as upside down cycling glasses.

In order to make them less goofy, all that is needed is for Oakley or someone to make a typical 'cool' wrap around style with the frame below rather than above the lens, and to provide prescription lenses.
Old 05-20-14, 10:05 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i don't like contacts because they get dry. i might look into the snooker glasses idea.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-20-14, 10:05 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"look into" glasses...get it? get it?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-20-14, 10:21 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by coasting
"look into" glasses...get it? get it?
Clearly.

I have found that most opticians will be happy to put lenses into cheap frames cutting them to any size you stipulate. I used to put lenses in to 100 yen store (dollar store) rimless reading glasses, for about 51USD (50 for the lens) per pair.

These half frames be found cheaply second hand or from dollar stores. Rimless supported at the bottom of the lens might also be an option. So you could probably get his done in Taiwan a lot cheaper than any of the stores above.
Old 05-20-14, 10:23 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Clearly.

I have found that most opticians will be happy to put lenses into cheap frames cutting them to any size you stipulate. I used to put lenses in to 100 yen store (dollar store) rimless reading glasses, for about 51USD (50 for the lens) per pair.

These half frames be found cheaply second hand or from dollar stores. Rimless supported at the bottom of the lens might also be an option. So you could probably get his done in Taiwan a lot cheaper than any of the stores above.
i think in taiwan it could be hit and miss. the good opticians are not cheap and the cheapo places don't seem too professional. finding the middle ground could be tricky.

Old 05-20-14, 10:50 PM
halcyon100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the amusing thread! I sympathize, though, I have terrible eyesight and astigmatism. I used to wear contacts, but none are comfortable now and I am stuck with glasses. Not a candidate for surgery either.

I find that having a raised stem, combined with the Croakies retainer strap on regular glasses, helps me see ahead, even in the drops. Of course, I am not racing nor am I very aero - I have some back issues, so I've got spacers and a raised stem... The Croakies strap does allow more sweat to get on your glasses and for fogging to occur. Still, I would be too self-conscious to wear the glasses in your picture. Do your glasses fog up a lot?
Old 05-21-14, 12:48 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by halcyon100
Thanks for the amusing thread! I sympathize, though, I have terrible eyesight and astigmatism. I used to wear contacts, but none are comfortable now and I am stuck with glasses. Not a candidate for surgery either. I find that having a raised stem, ?
My pleasure.

I am finding that I can get down lower lately, and am looking for a longer lower stem for improved aero position rather than a higher one. I did not need the glasses at first.

Originally Posted by halcyon100
Croakies retainer strap on regular glasses, helps me see ahead, even in the drops. Of course, I am not racing nor am I very aero - I have some back issues, so I've got spacers and a raised stem... The Croakies strap does allow more sweat to get on your glasses and for fogging to occur. Still, I would be too self-conscious to wear the glasses in your picture. Do your glasses fog up a lot?
They do fog up a bit, generally at the bottom though, so it is not a problem.

I do find that there is a bit of a problem with sweat running into my eyes. Eyebrows evolved, I believe, at least in part, to catch the sweat rolling down our foreheads and then evaporate the same from those curly hairs before it runs into our eyes. Since my eyebrows are behind the screen of my goofy glasses, less wind hits them so I get more sweat-in-eyes problems than with normal glasses, especially if I use them and do not get down low. If I use the glasses properly, i.e. with the lens facing somewhat down, then enough air comes over the top to prevent problems. It is not a big issue though, and occurs I guess with sports sunglasses too. Also, this is more of an issue for me since I am bald, my sweat does not evaporate from my head much either. I don't have issues when I am wearing a hat thing like that deceased Italian "pirate," RIP.

Last edited by timtak; 05-21-14 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 02:48 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Looks like you have two cans of beer on your head.
honestly, i don't see anything wrong with the glasses at all, but i do agree that it looks like he's playing a new drinking game. honestly, i was looking for 2 tubes going into his mouth...
Old 05-21-14, 05:15 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
honestly, i don't see anything wrong with the glasses at all, but i do agree that it looks like he's playing a new drinking game. honestly, i was looking for 2 tubes going into his mouth...
The cans really didn't work. Cheap ear muffs do. Here we go....

And in normal bike position (no way are the glasses actually facing directly at the ground, but even in a fairly aero position like this, I can almost see the tops of the lenses)

The 100 yen ear muffs, which reduce wind noise, are pictured here
https://tinyurl.com/100yenshopearmuffs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14256880523_d402b4e60f_n.jpg (43.4 KB, 579 views)
14236437044_6c08ac20a5_n.jpg (55.1 KB, 803 views)

Last edited by timtak; 05-21-14 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 06:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
The cans really didn't work. Cheap ear muffs do. Here we go....

And in normal bike position (no way are the glasses actually facing directly at the ground, but even in a fairly aero position like this, I can almost see the tops of the lenses)

The 100 yen ear muffs, which reduce wind noise, are pictured here
100~Vbv bt - Google
Your pictured aero position is far from the upper body horizontal position I ride in when on my aero bars during the triathlons and training rides. Riding 95% of the 112 miles in an Ironman looking over the top of my glasses just becomes second nature and not really a pain in the neck. It would be very nice to have the clarity of vision provided by the glasses when in the aero position but in my case I also need the progression for reading the computer and distances in between. Believe me, trifocals did not work for me.
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11891 Post(s)
Liked 6,486 Times in 3,415 Posts
A bunch of spandex-wearing, leg-shaving, non-waving guys are worried about looking goofy on the bike? Seriously?

It's a great alternative solution. And it's not like they're going to be your all day, everyday glasses.
Old 05-21-14, 08:34 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
best thread for a long time.

Likes For coasting:
Old 05-21-14, 08:36 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
They probably don't look that out of the ordinary in Japan though. Really.
Likes For RPK79:
Old 05-21-14, 03:41 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has the problem been solved? I have some sports glasses but when I tilt my head down I can see the top part of the frame. I have yet to encounter cycling/sports glasses with lenses which come up as high on the forehead. Many of them seem to take prescription lenses as inserts.
Cycling specific glasses are meant to be worn really close to the face, so the problem pretty much goes away. I don't see the frames of my Oakley Racing Jacket in the drops. I don't have inserts, but prescription lenses. Not the Oakley lenses because my left eye is one step beyond what Oakley will make, but equivalent. The prescription was ground in such a way that they're optimized for being much closer to the eye than my regular glasses.

With the Racing Jacket's thick frame you'd think it would be a problem, but cycling glasses are not quite the same as more generic sports glasses. It also depends a bit on the shape of your face.

They aren't a cheap solution, but Oakley isn't the only cycling glasses frame maker. I just need to go to the more indestructible side of things; I'm not as careful as I should be. Oakleys are pretty tough.
Old 05-21-14, 05:35 PM
timtak

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Your pictured aero position is far from the upper body horizontal position I ride.
I am lower when in the drops, and I only use the drops, much, since making these glasses.

Originally Posted by RPK79
They probably don't look that out of the ordinary in Japan though. Really.
It is more that I already look so out of the ordinary (bald, big-nosed, blush, and bulky) that I think, 'to sushi with it'.

Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Cycling specific glasses are meant to be worn really close to the face, so the problem pretty much goes away.
Don't you get sweat and ventilation problems? Ah, I see that the lenses themselves have vent holes in them (cunning - I may try that). Don't you get sweat problems?

In my earlier version I put them closer to my face but sweat would run off my forehead onto the lens. The second pair are so far above my brow to allow for a few millimetres gap between my brow and the lens for ventilation and to keep sweat from running onto the lens.

And as you point out, they are not cheap.
Oakley Racing Jacket Prescription Sunglasses | Get Free Shipping
It seems that the Oakleys are 160USD plus lenses, which are, wow, 70USD each for a total of 400USD per pair. Cool is 4 to 8 times the price of dork. (mine were $51 clear, and perhaps $101 tinted.)

The frames are flimsy but can be replaced for $1 (Japanese Opticians do repairs for free, the frames are from the dollar store).

Also I can't understand how you are not seeing the frames. When I am on the drops I am looking under my brow (I can see bushy eyebrows at the top of my field of vision like this (from https://www.flickr.com/photos/nihonbunka/10094442395/)

) but these guy must be seeing some frame because you can see some eyebrow above the frame.

From
https://boncycle.exblog.jp/18081748/

From
https://www.shadestation.co.uk/style-...our-de-france/

When you say you can't see frame is that even when you go down low?
Attached Images
j31.jpg (22.7 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by timtak; 05-21-14 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added photos of oakleys and my eyebrows
Old 07-22-14, 11:27 PM
timtak

New Version

The half-frame reading glasses were too flimsy and broke so I cut the tops off some flexible dollar store sunglasses and the result is shown below

These are a bit taller still since they start lower on my face. The height above my brow is about the same, and results in my being able to see only the outside corners of the lenses.

I have added some cable ties to create an L behind the ear for added security of fit.

They are a bit stronger but not as strong as I would like.

Sp I stilll wish Oakley would produce some and keep me in pairs for the idea. They need a name. Goofy Glasses. Space Specs. Lanced Lenses, to go with my Lanced bike, the use of which necessitates the use of these spectacles.
Old 07-22-14, 11:31 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
now this is too far. you look like such a goof ball.

Old 07-22-14, 11:36 PM
Roopull

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get frameless untinted wraparound safety glasses at some hardware stores for around $20. They work great & aren't quite so... umm... unique looking.

Plus, too, and also, you can get polarized frameless sunglasses in the WalMart fishing department for $5 to $15. If you scratch 'em, who cares? $15.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.