Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new to me road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My new to me road bike

Old 04-15-21, 06:49 PM
Pathfinder27

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Haanjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
My new to me road bike

Hey all,
I'm a budget cyclist and always have been. I rode a Dianmondback Haanjo CX converted to drop bars for the last 7 years. Yesterday I sold that bike and picked up a used Giant Contend SL2, disc brakes, and Tiagra groupset. I am so impressed with this bike compared to the Haanjpo even though I had upgraded it to a full, older, Ultegra groupset. The Contend is significantly lighter and performs great for me. I went for a test ride last night on my normal route. It's a 10 mile out and back and I averaged about 2.5 minutes a mile faster than my best time with the old bike. I have a few adjustments to make but I'm really impressed with the bike, especially with the price I paid for it and the condition.
Old 04-15-21, 07:10 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Everyone loves NBD. Congrats!
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-15-21, 07:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Congrats! I'm in the beginning stages of selling mine to someone who would put it to good use, and even though I haven't had it long, it's gotten far worse wear than it looks like yours has. Fwiw, you can fit a second bottle on the seat tube if you use a sideloading cage.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it? I've a number in mind to ask for, but don't want to be too off. You can PM or not answer if you don't want to say here.
Old 04-15-21, 07:27 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10070 Post(s)
Liked 5,053 Times in 2,157 Posts
Congrats!
Old 04-15-21, 07:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
congrats

Old 04-15-21, 07:51 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Pathfinder27
and I averaged about 2.5 minutes a mile faster
Well that could mean a lot of things, but it sounds like your new bike is a lot faster.

Old 04-16-21, 12:48 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Congrats. Even on budget bikes the trickle down effect of the technological advances in bikes is impressive.
Likes For Symox:
Old 04-16-21, 07:17 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great. Glad to read that you seem to have found a good deal. With the shortage of bikes almost everywhere around the globe, prices skyrocketed on the used market!

The Contend is indeed a very good all-road bike.
Old 04-16-21, 02:48 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Congrats. Even on budget bikes the trickle down effect of the technological advances in bikes is impressive.
The trickle down effect of the technological advances in bikes is why my 2015 Emonda and my 1983 Miyata 710 - which occupy comparable quality tier and design intention in their respective eras - tend to be separated by a few seconds per mile. Would potentially be 10-15 seconds per mile if I upgraded the Emonda to high-end components including good aero wheels and cockpit.

2.5 minutes per mile is an astronomical difference even at fairly low speeds, and the Haanjo isn't even a particularly old model line; it's only been around for about seven years. We're probably looking more at factors of fit and configuration.

Last edited by HTupolev; 04-16-21 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-18-21, 06:34 PM
Pathfinder27

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Haanjo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Congrats! I'm in the beginning stages of selling mine to someone who would put it to good use, and even though I haven't had it long, it's gotten far worse wear than it looks like yours has. Fwiw, you can fit a second bottle on the seat tube if you use a sideloading cage.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it? I've a number in mind to ask for, but don't want to be too off. You can PM or not answer if you don't want to say here.

I sold my Diamondback for $800 and bought the Giant for $700. Then paid my local bike shop $17 to look it over and make a few adjustments for me.
Likes For Pathfinder27:
Old 04-18-21, 06:47 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Pathfinder27
I sold my Diamondback for $800 and bought the Giant for $700. Then paid my local bike shop $17 to look it over and make a few adjustments for me.
Thanks, yeah that sounds inline with what I was expecting. It's fantastic value.

BTW, about the seat tube bottle cage to fit, I had to use spacers because the braze-on front derailleur prevented the cage from sitting flush against the tube.