Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which BB frame for Shimano Ultegra R8000?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 08:44 AM
freezone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm a newbie please be patient with me.
I'm trying to get a frame that is compatible with Shimano Ultegra R8000.
I see frames with BB30, BB86, BB386 and so on.
When I check Shimano Ultegra R8000 groupset I always see BBR60 BSA as part of the groupset.
Does it mean it only fits on BSA frame type?
Thank you so much for you support.
Old 05-21-21, 08:51 AM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Not sure of the full availability but my Ultegra bike has BB86 (BMC Teammachine).
Old 05-21-21, 09:32 AM
freezone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomDesign
Not sure of the full availability but my Ultegra bike has BB86 (BMC Teammachine).
Thank you!
Old 05-21-21, 09:56 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
You have the wrong idea on how this works. I don’t have time to explain it because it is long and complicated. Shimano cranks literally will work with every frame made in the last 10 years.
Old 05-21-21, 09:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Shimano makes a number of different bottom brackets to fit different types of frames. If they don't make one for a particular frame there are adapters that will allow you to install a Shimano crank on almost any road frame. This link shows some of the various options they make that are sold by one online retailer:
​​​​​​https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...et-102895.html
Old 05-21-21, 10:08 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
more clarification. You buy the frame you want that fits you. From there you buy the BB that fits your frame standard, you also need to buy the front der for the set that fits your frame (braze on, 28.6, 31.4, etc.) The 6600 group will offer the front der and BB in the standard your bike needs but you can't buy the group till you know what you need.
Old 07-12-21, 01:42 AM
freezone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here I'm stuck.
I have a frame with a 46mm internal diameter bottom bracket slot and a SHIMANO ULTEGRA Press Fit Bottom Bracket 86.5 mm shell width that is 41mm shell diameter.
How can I work it out? Adapter? Or a new bottom bracket?
Can you please point me to online store where to get them?
Thank you for you help
Old 07-12-21, 04:58 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If you plan to build it up yourself I’d get a BSA bottom bracket and compatible frame. Otherwise you’ll have to press fit the bottom bracket on your current frame. Oh you’ll also have to remove it.

Now that’s the bottom bracket. I think you also want a rim brake frame and do you want a new seat post or find one with the same size seat post? Direct mount rim brakes or not. Last frame with fork with or without head set. Or just frame and fork. I’m sort of going through the same thing. The rear drive side dropout on my Madone 5.0 broke a couple of weeks ago. I had my receipt and original owner. Trek could replace the dropout. But they found a crack under the paint of the top tube. I could have taken a Emonde frame but would have had to buy the press fit bottom bracket and direct mount brakes. Did not go as far as seat post. They also offered credit to a new bike. If you can find one. Well took the new bike, a Domane SL6 that fit and was close by. Now I have all my old parts. Ultegra group and Aeoles Pro 5 rim brake wheels. Looking for a frame but not in a hurry.

So ebay for a used frame set may be it. New there is a. Brand Soma Pescadero I’m looking at for something I can add rack and bags.
Old 07-12-21, 06:20 AM
freezone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
If you plan to build it up yourself I’d get a BSA bottom bracket and compatible frame. Otherwise you’ll have to press fit the bottom bracket on your current frame. Oh you’ll also have to remove it.

Now that’s the bottom bracket. I think you also want a rim brake frame and do you want a new seat post or find one with the same size seat post? Direct mount rim brakes or not. Last frame with fork with or without head set. Or just frame and fork. I’m sort of going through the same thing. The rear drive side dropout on my Madone 5.0 broke a couple of weeks ago. I had my receipt and original owner. Trek could replace the dropout. But they found a crack under the paint of the top tube. I could have taken a Emonde frame but would have had to buy the press fit bottom bracket and direct mount brakes. Did not go as far as seat post. They also offered credit to a new bike. If you can find one. Well took the new bike, a Domane SL6 that fit and was close by. Now I have all my old parts. Ultegra group and Aeoles Pro 5 rim brake wheels. Looking for a frame but not in a hurry.

So ebay for a used frame set may be it. New there is a. Brand Soma Pescadero I’m looking at for something I can add rack and bags.
Thank you for your suggestion but I'm not willing to change frame.
I just wanted to know if on the market there are adapters to fit 41mm bottom bracket on 46mm frame hole.
In alternative what new BB is compatible with 24mm axle and 46mm x 86mm bottom bracket slot.
Old 07-12-21, 06:52 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Originally Posted by freezone
Thank you for your suggestion but I'm not willing to change frame.
I just wanted to know if on the market there are adapters to fit 41mm bottom bracket on 46mm frame hole.
In alternative what new BB is compatible with 24mm axle and 46mm x 86mm bottom bracket slot.
ok got it. The Ultegra spindle is 24mm. Some pressed in bottom brackets do not accept the 24mm diameter spindle. So you need an adapter. Like these for a BB30. They just adapt the larger hole to 24mm.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-adapter-f...mm-cranks.html

BSA is the older British standard. From way back with cup and ball bottom brackets. There was also a French and Italian standards. I have to go look at the why but the BSA was predominant one. So after cup style the cartridge with the same square tapered shaft evolves. This was followed by the Octa-whatever ends. I’m to lazy to look it up. Then the thru shaft with separate right and left hand side screw in cartridge bearings. The bearing were pressed into the threaded cartridge. Then hey why not just press the bearings into the frame came along. Now some manufacturers are migrating back to the threads bottom brackets. These are threaded larger than BSA.

So like someone said above. Pick a frame or look for the adapter to fit your frame. You listed a number of standards but did not say what you have if you have a frame you want to keep. Also there are adapters to replace the pressed in bearing with a threaded adapter. Too many choices these days.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-12-21 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 06:59 AM
freezone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I got it right, you suggest to get a new BB386EVO with 30mm spindle diameter that fits the frame + adding a 30mm to 24mm spindle adapter?
Old 07-12-21, 07:39 AM
biker128pedal

If I got it right, you suggest to get a new BB386EVO with 30mm spindle diameter that fits the frame + adding a 30mm to 24mm spindle adapter?
For a BB386 there is a different adapter. Most recommend getting a hybrid adapter to replace pressed in bearings. That is what I would do.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html?cat=253

I’d find the frame that you want, can get and will fit then see if there is an adapter to 24mm before buying the frame. This site showed some of the possibilities. I may be following you once I find a rim brake frame myself.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets.html
Old 07-12-21, 11:35 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I think there may be something lost in translation here. The first step, at least for me, would be to find the bottom bracket standard that your frame has. You list the measurements above but I'm not quite sure which standard it is. Possible standards are PF30, BBRight, BB386, EVO386 etc. From there you'll need to find one that accepts Shimano 24mm cranks. So, if you have a Cervelo and want to put Shimano cranks on it you'd need to find a BBRight bottom bracket for 24mm cranks. I have a Cervelo with Rotor cranks which are 30mm, so on my bike I have a BBRight 30mm bottom bracket. From there its just a matter of googling what you need and you'll have several options. HTH.

--Brad
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 07-12-21, 11:48 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
...Additional info: Check this page on the BBInfinite web site specific to Shimano cranksets. It shows lots of bottom brackets standards with their dimensions. Click on the one you have and it will show you their offerings.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 07-12-21, 01:06 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
If you can tell us exactly what frame you have (make, model and year), we can tell you which bottom bracket to buy.
Old 07-13-21, 02:09 AM
freezone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you MidTNBrad! That's what I was missing. 86.5mm x 46mm, i.e. 386EVO.
And there I found the correct BB for my shimano crank.
Thank you so much!