Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 05-19-21, 09:32 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
My apologies; yes, it is a 5.0
Likes For 900ss:
Old 05-21-21, 07:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Pallandsen
I live in Denmark - it’s FLAT here. Highest point in Denmark is 170 meters.
You have wind; more or less the same thing.
Old 05-27-21, 12:59 AM
Burela669

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Commuter/Gravel rig! The 2021 Sirrus x 5.0. Stoked on this thing, it's lightning fast, nimble, and compliant over viable surfaces because of the 9r carbon frame. Flat bars give it that mountian bike like control. 12 speed 11-51t shimano slx, so it's familiar to any mtb'r. I even took it down some single track today and was amazed on how well it ate it up. Climbs like a mountain goat as well. Lastly the best part was passing ebikers on the road back home. 😉 @Aaroninthemountains on Instagram for pic since I'm a new member.
Old 05-27-21, 04:58 AM
waxcrazy

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just got one about a month ago also after 27 years of not riding....Feel like a kid again!!!! Great choice....I think you will be very happy with it!!!
Enjoy and ride safe!
Old 05-27-21, 05:06 AM
waxcrazy

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Just checked it out on Instagram...I better go and check if mine has been stolen....lol....Got the same color.....Wanted the red but wasn't available...BUT....sure loving the blue.. Isn't it gorgeous in the sun!?!?!?......Hence my name "waxcrazy"..... Got to admit a coat of wax ...or 6.... really makes it pop!!!!
Old 06-01-21, 10:04 AM
amasu_s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys! Hope to benefit from you all. I'm a newbie and I hope not to bore you guys with my questions.
I used to bike a lot all the way to uni (budget mountain bike), but for the last 14 years, being abroad in a country that's a desert, I didn't bike at all.

I purchased a Sirrus 2.0 (Satin Black) last week and was wondering what budget upgrades I could make to it to make the ride better. My sitting bones are still getting used to the bike seat after all these years, but was wondering if the stock seat can be upgraded for comfort or if I will get used to it in a couple of weeks.

Also, was looking to get a bottle cage and was wondering if you guys have a tried and tested one you could recommend, since I've seen reviews for a few of specialized cages, and some had complaints about them breaking or getting loose.

Thanks in advance!

Tried uploading a pic of my bike but it won't let me since I'm a new user.
Old 06-05-21, 03:06 PM
ifixbikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had an old alloy Cherry Red Sirrus. Best riding and fitting bike ever for me. Still looking in the Toronto area for a similar replacement.
Old 06-21-21, 09:51 AM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport Alloy Disc

Found this on Facebook Saturday, like new, tires still had nubs. I've been looking for a Hybrid for the limestone trails I won't take my road bike on. It's very comfortable.

Likes For LazyMike:
Old 06-30-21, 06:40 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Nice bike, LM: looks new, though nubs do stay on tires longer than we'd think. Nice complement to your Synapse too. Just need a bottle cage or two.
Likes For BiciMan:
Old 06-30-21, 06:59 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Help, please. I tried to search the thread, but got nowhere.

I have my 2013 Sirrus with the original 28cm tires. I want to replace them with a bigger tire and need to know how big I can go, based on owners' experiences with this "vintage". I'm guessing I can do 32s easily enough, but I have 45cm Schwabs on my Trek 8.5 and wonder how close I can get to that, maybe 35-38 or so??? A still-relatively-light biggie is my imagined solution..., but welcome hearing of all good >28cm experiences. Thank you.
P.S, -without changing my original DT Swiss wheels, BTW, please.

Last edited by BiciMan; 06-30-21 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 07:56 PM
BiciMan

Originally Posted by Lady82
Hello!
I have started a thread, but I am not sure how much feedback I will be able to generate, so I decided to ask here.
I would like to upgrade my 8 year old hybrid, but with the current situation with bikes it is very tricky. There are simply NO bikes in Ontario, unless it's e-bikes and carbon offerings at 5K+. Bike shopes are sitting empty. Ideally, I would have purchased Sirrus 3.0 X, but there are none anywhere. I personally called every dealer within 3 hour drive radius.

By chance I found Marin Terra Linda 3 in my size, but I know nothing about the brand.
I currently own a Specialized Vita (female version of Sirrus) and Liv Tempt 0 (2021).
I love my hybrid, but it is an older model with rim breaks. Terra Linda has many modern upgrades over my bike, notably disk breaks and thru axles, which are unheard of in this price range. My old hybrid has a carbon fork and 3×9 Shimano Acera/Alivio transmission. So no real upgrades in this respect.
I guess I am trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it. My bike is great, but I do feel that rim breaks are not as great as my hydrolics on Liv Tempt.
I also have concerns about the quality of Marin proprietary components, especially their hubs. There are no technical information anywhere.
Would you trade upgrade 2013 Specialized Sirrus that already has 3X9 speed transmission and carbon fork for a new Marin Terra Linda 3?

Sorry, the rules of the forums do not allow me to post links to the specs of the bike.
I own a 2013 Sirrus, Lady, and while Marin enjoys a good reputation, I don't value the change as worthwhile, BUT, a big reason is a personal aesthetic bias about hydraulic brakes on road or road-like hybrids such as our Sirrus/Vita bikes. I love my 2013 Sirrus too. I would only upgrade to a carbon Sirrus, but I regularly search ebay for "older" rim-brake models. I have bikes with hydraulics and recognize their superiority, but their marginal superiority compared to modern/quality rim brakes and rims is not worth it to me, given the weather I ride in and the kind of riding I do on my Domane and Sirrus bikes. Maybe if I commuted in the rain or snow often... maybe. Looking at your Vita and this Marin, the brakes are the only advantage I see, and I share your doubt, and have NO confidence that the proprietary components on this 2021 would be of better quality than our 2013s'. I will note that my Sirrus Pro was a next-to-top of the line Sirrus in 2013, so it was very nicely equipped; but, if you have a carbon fork, you probably also have a higher level Vita. On balance, and my aesthetic bias aside, I'd keep lovin' the one you're with until a more better/worthy option comes around. Meanwhile, enjoy your Liv's brakes and your Vita's greatness.

Last edited by BiciMan; 06-30-21 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 08:17 PM
BiciMan

Originally Posted by Lady82
Hello!
Thank you for such a quick reply.
I have upgraded pads and breaks work fine. But yesterday I rode in rain and the breaks did not perform as well as the disks on my new Liv bike.
I guess I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my bike now (while I can sell it easily), or wait. But then next year, once situation at bike shops improves, I won't be able to get much for my very well-maintained bike.
Hi, I'm replying separately to this post because it is a separate and meaningful point. I'm considering selling a bike or two at this time for this sellers'-market reason. Consider selling now, but not "upgrading" to hydraulics until a superior option becomes available. I still stand by my first reply...

Last edited by BiciMan; 06-30-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-01-21, 08:10 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Definitely sell now. I bought a road bike for $1500 in 2015 and sold it for $1100 in April this year.
Old 07-18-21, 07:17 AM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what trail is that

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I purchased a 2020 Sirrus 3.0 in late July to replace my 2016 Crosstrail Sport. It took a few trips back to the shop to get it right with shifting problems and a really loose bottom bracket. After the "free" tuneup at the 250 mile mark everything now seems to be 100%. I was struggling with slipping forward on the saddle and moving the saddle back about an inch corrected that problem. I found that my average speed is the same as it was on the Crosstrail which surprised me a bit. The Sirrus is about 8-9 pounds lighter than the Crosstrail. I now have 800 miles on the Sirrus and am missing the Crosstrail less every ride. So far the biggest difference in the two bikes is that I struggled on the Crosstrail after about 20 miles and had a maximum ride of 25 miles, but the Sirrus I easily take 30-35 mile rides now. I ride almost exclusively paved bike paths now and that factored into my decision to move to the Sirrus. The Sirrus definitely feels more nimble and maneuverable.
The pedals have got to go - the stock ones feel like I'm pedaling on 2x4 blocks. I'm also considering bar ends for more hand positions. Other than that I'm loving the Sirrus more and more with each ride...
Hey, my house is up in Citrus Cty, but I ride all over tampa/clearwater, what trail is that one?

"edit" sorry I just read the writing, looks like the suncoast trail.
Thank you,

Last edited by axxman; 07-18-21 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 09:58 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman
Hey, my house is up in Citrus Cty, but I ride all over tampa/clearwater, what trail is that one?

Thank you,
I'm in Lutz. What part of the Suncoast Trail is that?
Old 07-21-21, 05:40 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman

Thank you,
Actually this pic was taken at the junction of the Suncoast trail and Starkey park trail. It's a 6.5 mile jaunt - all through woods - to get back to Starkey park bike parking lot from this spot. The Suncoast trail is okay - but too close to the highway noise for my liking.
Have you biked the Weekiwachee Preserve? It's a beautiful place. Although it's mostly non-paved limestone trails through an old limestone quarry - with 14 lakes that the trails wind through.
Old 07-21-21, 05:41 AM
timgriffin2

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I'm in Lutz. What part of the Suncoast Trail is that?
This is the junction of the Suncoast and Starkey Park trails. Starkey is my favorite paved trail so far.
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 07-21-21, 05:52 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
This is the junction of the Suncoast and Starkey Park trails. Starkey is my favorite paved trail so far.
Thanks. Is it an easy ride from the bike parking spot on 54/Suncoast? I'll be coming up from Lutz Lake Fern Rd but don't like all the highway riding, prefer the woods.
Old 07-24-21, 05:25 AM
timgriffin2

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Thanks. Is it an easy ride from the bike parking spot on 54/Suncoast? I'll be coming up from Lutz Lake Fern Rd but don't like all the highway riding, prefer the woods.
I park at the Starkey Park end of the trail. If you park at the Suncoast parking lot at 54 it's 4 1/2 miles to the Starkey Park trail intersection - then 6 1/2 miles through the woods to Starkey park.
I came face to face with a large wild boar in the park 2 days ago that was in the middle of the path. I've seen deer in the park, gators (of course - it's Florida), boar, tons of snakes and turtles - and a bobcat that walked across the bike path and stared me down while I was sitting on a small bench!
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 07-29-21, 05:57 AM
Lady82

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
I own a 2013 Sirrus, Lady, and while Marin enjoys a good reputation, I don't value the change as worthwhile, BUT, a big reason is a personal aesthetic bias about hydraulic brakes on road or road-like hybrids such as our Sirrus/Vita bikes. I love my 2013 Sirrus too. I would only upgrade to a carbon Sirrus, but I regularly search ebay for "older" rim-brake models. I have bikes with hydraulics and recognize their superiority, but their marginal superiority compared to modern/quality rim brakes and rims is not worth it to me, given the weather I ride in and the kind of riding I do on my Domane and Sirrus bikes. Maybe if I commuted in the rain or snow often... maybe. Looking at your Vita and this Marin, the brakes are the only advantage I see, and I share your doubt, and have NO confidence that the proprietary components on this 2021 would be of better quality than our 2013s'. I will note that my Sirrus Pro was a next-to-top of the line Sirrus in 2013, so it was very nicely equipped; but, if you have a carbon fork, you probably also have a higher level Vita. On balance, and my aesthetic bias aside, I'd keep lovin' the one you're with until a more better/worthy option comes around. Meanwhile, enjoy your Liv's brakes and your Vita's greatness.
I am very sorry for replying so late to your very meaningful and very informative post. I had notifications off and just read it now.
I ended up keeping my Vita. You are correct that it is a higher component Vita Elite.
I went and checked Marin out. It was a nice bike, fit well, but I did not feel it was something I wanted to upgrade to, or, rather did not feel the bike was an upgrade in itself. I really did not like the curved slope of the frame. The brakes were terrible. I know brakes take a bit to bed, but compared to the brakes on my Liv they were terrible. Overall, the bike just did not feel right. And, I guess, it is in the end all about that feel.
Old 08-31-21, 05:44 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hello again, everyone.
After a season on Liv Tempt 0 2021 I have realized that it's not really for me. So, I have sold it.
And now I am at square 1 again. I have a specialized Vita Elite 2013 and I love that bike. The comfort of it is unreal.
But... the largest tire it can take is 30-32 and it's just not enough for me anymore.
I think Sirrus X series is exactly the perfect balance of tire width/geometry I am looking for.
Out of nowhere, a few models are available at one of the local bike shops. I am absolutely in love 2.0 in Dusty Turquoise and have already ordered it. In many ways it's a step down components wise, but I am ok with that.
My biggest question is reports of chain dropping off the chain ring constantly (Specialized website). Does not matter the model.
Did someone else experience it here?
I will be honest. In my cycling career the chain dropped on me only once and it was a terrifying experience...
I would be very grateful for any feedback.
Old 08-31-21, 07:56 AM
bobthebike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unfortunately, the chain dropping is a real issue. Mine drops multiple times a week, but it has never caused any unsafe events. Other than oily fingers, I just slip it back on and go about my way. From what I have ascertained, if your light on the pedals and execute a change, it is much more likely to derail versus having more pressure.
Likes For bobthebike:
Old 08-31-21, 09:04 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you!
I guess I have to wait and see. I found some suggestions of upgrading a crankset (not a very expensive upgrade) and the issue went away in its entirety.
Old 08-31-21, 10:04 AM
Double

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Sirrus 6.0

Hi. I am relatively new to the forum and appreciate all the great insights here. I was curious if anyone knows why the Sirrus 6.0 has increased so much in price the last couple of years. I believe the bike was $2,400 in 2019 and then went to $2,600 and is now $3,000. Is this due to an improvement in the components or supply chain issues impacting all bike companies due to COVID. Thank you!
Old 08-31-21, 10:15 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
Because the bike companies (and many other companies that sell different products) are using covid as an excuse to rake us all over the coals and it's all total bull ****.

The mountain bike I bought last fall in September that was $5200 is now $6700. There is absolutely nothing that justifies that type of price increase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.