Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bont Motion Shoes... Low Priced, Foot-Shaped Shoe?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-22, 08:34 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts

TL;DR

Anyone have the relatively new Bont Motion shoes to provide a review of them?

As a person with a wide foot across the toes, but not "high volume" feet, cycling shoes always leave my toes all crammed together and I hate it. Even my wide Lake shoes are too pointy in the toe area and push my big and small toes inward which is not natural for my feet. Along those lines, I've tried Bont shoes in the past as they are the only cycling shoes I've seen that have a slightly less pointy toe area, but I've found my feet do not like the carbon "bathtub" sole that Bont uses on all their shoes until recently when they introduced the new "Motion" shoe. This new entry-level shoe doesn't appear to use the "bathtub" sole and the toe box appears to not be pointy. While I'm not keen on the Bont Motion shoes being a bit heavier and not having a BOA dial, if they make my toes happy (and my wallet), I'm willing to make the trade-off!

Motion Cycling Shoes | Shop Bont Cycling

Old 01-26-22, 10:04 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I just went through the same exercise, only with Lakes. My foot is slightly narrower than average but I need a wider toe box. I took advantage of a Competitive Cyclist sale before Christmas and snagged a pair of the Lake CX238s. I wanted them to work but I had to return them. Too wide in the mid-foot, my heel slipped and, like you're seeing, tight and pointy in the toe box leaving my toes uncomfortably crammed together.

I decided that shoes are too important to try the roulette wheel of online-order so I went to my LBS and tried on several pairs. The Specialized Torch 3.0 fit the bill exactly. My foot fits snugly, no slipping in the heel and best of all no pressure on my toes. The only downside is that the BOA dials are a little finicky. They don't have the quick release option so you have to manually unwind each dial to get out of the shoe.

For reference I wear a size 13 sneaker and bought a 48 in the Specialized -- the same size as my old Shimanos.

Good luck!
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 01-27-22, 05:56 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
The Specialized Torch 3.0 fit the bill exactly. My foot fits snugly, no slipping in the heel and best of all no pressure on my toes.
I actually have the Specialized Torch 2.0 in wide as my road shoes. For reasons I don't understand, the 2.0 came in wide and 3.0 didn't. In either case, the 2.0's aren't exactly wide in the toe box area but are tolerable. They're really nice shoes, just not shaped like my feet.

In the following diagram, my foot shape would definitely fit the "tapered" shape on the left (1). It would seem that most cycling shoes are designed for a (3) foot shape that are longest in the middle. As a result, my big and small toes are pushed inward which is uncomfortable.
Old 01-28-22, 02:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
The new UDog Tensione appears to be a less pointy design as well, which they describe as having a “generous toebox.”

UDog Tensione shoe

https://udog.cc/products/tensione-artic-white
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-29-22, 11:18 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Can't really add much to the bike shoe discussion, but the thread caught my attention. I have had Bont skates for the last 3-4 years. Never knew they offered cycling shoes.