Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Heads up when riding your E

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-22, 11:51 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

https://pssjournal.biomedcentral.com...37-022-00318-9

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 12-24-22, 12:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Old 12-24-22, 12:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
the problem is most people riding e bikes have not ridden in years and down really know how to ride safely or well. its to the e bike its the persons lack of experience.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-25-22, 10:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Ebikes are likely to be traveling at a faster speed. Only a few miles an hour can make a significant difference in force and therefore in the severity of injuries.
Old 01-07-23, 03:15 AM
Milepost105 

Bikes: Vintage to Electric

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
On the other hand, I feel safer riding my e bike in traffic in town. I can keep up my speed better so cars are passing me at less difference in relative speed. And my bike has a thumb throttle so crossing intersections from a dead stop is a breeze.
Old 01-07-23, 08:31 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My riding partner is 79, on oxygen 24/7, and has a pacemaker. He would not be on two wheels without his e-bike so I don't hate on them. However, I see a lot of e-bikers sans helmet and unaware of or don't care about riding protocols and basic consideration for other riders. So, yeah, they are going faster, they may be less experienced, and may take unnecessary chances that endanger other riders. I don't think it's solely age as many are clearly young people in their teens and twenties.
Old 01-07-23, 06:57 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
So this study that is referenced, indicates that for elderly folks, +60 years of age, a better choice to ride would be to ride an analog bicycle, not an ebike.
Likes For Jan Feetz:
Old 01-07-23, 08:46 PM
Milepost105 

Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
So this study that is referenced, indicates that for elderly folks, +60 years of age, a better choice to ride would be to ride an analog bicycle, not an ebike.
The study doesn’t seem to take into consideration whether speed is the real culprit in the severity of injuries. Many e bikes routinely run up to 28 mph, almost twice what a casual conventional bike rider would be traveling on level ground, particularly if a senior.
Old 01-08-23, 08:53 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Originally Posted by Milepost105
The study doesn’t seem to take into consideration whether speed is the real culprit in the severity of injuries. Many e bikes routinely run up to 28 mph, almost twice what a casual conventional bike rider would be traveling on level ground, particularly if a senior.
It appears that the real culprit is that our reaction times slow down as we age.....
Old 01-09-23, 11:48 AM
Milepost105 

It appears that the real culprit is that our reaction times slow down as we age.....
Good point, especially at higher speed.
Old 01-13-23, 02:09 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Those e-bikers who ride sans helmets and somewhat recklessly would probably be on motorcycles if e-bikes weren't an option, often without helmets there as well. So in that sense, e-bikes are safer, lol.
Old 01-13-23, 03:21 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Most seniors have enough wisdom to ride within their abilities and riding conditions.
Sometimes an Ebike is the only way they can continue to enjoy cycling..
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Likes For vonfilm:
Old 02-14-23, 08:15 PM
enda vehicle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An electric bicycle is just a means of transportation, and its use depends on the rider's preferences,regardless of their age.Most of the elderly can live more freely with the help of electric bicycles, maybe what they lack is the understanding of the present transportation.
Old 02-15-23, 12:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A sample size of 82 individuals is not going to provide statistically relevant results. Cheaper to use small sample groups to get study results published but it is garbage and only ignorant medical "professionals" promote the results. They really should be teaching statistics (and nutrition) in the medical schools instead of which drugs to push for any given symptom or lab number.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-15-23, 12:21 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I'm not sure sample size invalidates the hypothesis here. But more importantly, this "study" simply suggests to me that e-bikes enable riders to exceed their limits in ways a pedal bike would not.
And, my favorite fundamental rule of engineering appears, too: "the faster you want to go the more it costs."
Old 02-15-23, 05:32 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Maybe just cyclists in general:

Group of drivers allegedly 'dooring' East Bay bicyclists, leaves 2 hospitalized

https://www.ktvu.com/news/group-of-d...2-hospitalized
Old 02-17-23, 07:23 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
The problem is a lot of seniors haven't ridden a bike in decades, I put a 73 year old golfing buddy ion my most mild mannered ebike,. Step thru, 250W. The guy was wobbling like mad. I wanted to call my insurance agent and increase my umbrella policy while he went around the block.

You take a recreational rider 55-70 years old, they will have no problems with an ebike, You take someone who doesn't remember he needs to plan where to put his feet when he stops ... kaboom. That happened last Fall to another friend who was riding one of ebikes with us. We stopped on a section of path where one side was a ditch. Guy fell into the ditch.

A lot of seniors are going into trikes. And some are talking trainingg wheels, Yikes. Tip overs.
Old 02-18-23, 12:42 PM
linberl

Except many folks over 60 have physical limitations and would not be able to ride at all without assist. There are 2 groups of ebike riders - those who simply want the ease and speed without full effort and those who have knee, hip or other physical issues that make
traditional biking difficult or impossible. I would venture the 2d group rides more carefully and slower than the 1st group. And there are folks over 60 in both groups.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-18-23, 12:48 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
The problem is a lot of seniors haven't ridden a bike in decades, I put a 73 year old golfing buddy ion my most mild mannered ebike,. Step thru, 250W. The guy was wobbling like mad. I wanted to call my insurance agent and increase my umbrella policy while he went around the block.

You take a recreational rider 55-70 years old, they will have no problems with an ebike, You take someone who doesn't remember he needs to plan where to put his feet when he stops ... kaboom. That happened last Fall to another friend who was riding one of ebikes with us. We stopped on a section of path where one side was a ditch. Guy fell into the ditch.

A lot of seniors are going into trikes. And some are talking trainingg wheels, Yikes. Tip overs.
i've had to move to a recumbent trike from my DF bikes. Tadpoles are pretty stable unless you are a dumba** and take turns at unsafe speeds. While I disliked it at first, since i was sort of forced into the change due to health issues, I've come to actually love it. The recumbent seat is wonderful and the views are better since I'm not looking down, I've got a seat wherever I go which is very useful at food trucks, and once i got the steering down it became a lot of fun. The e-assist helps with the higher weight of the trike and since trikes typically reduce speed by several mph, it brings things back to normal. I never went over 16mph on my DF w/ Assist and I haven't gone over 15mph on my trike - even though it can go quite a bit faster. no tip over risk. now those training wheels and high seat trikes - watch out.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-18-23, 06:57 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

My in-laws are in their mid 80's, prior to COVID times,
FIL used to be able to ride his 20 fat tire ebike to his favorite fishing spot few miles from his driveway,
go for grocery runs few blocks away.
But now getting them out for a walk gets to be a production and a half in the colder months.

I have had the in-laws try tadpole trike before; getting on & off the low seating of tadpole trikes is difficult for them with balance & flexibility issues.
Just getting in & out of a low car seat/door is problematic, but they seem to be okay with upright trikes.
Their top speed rarely go above 10 mph, minimal pedaling, likely never will take any corner at significant speed faster than walking pace.

I pre-ordered a Lectric XP eTrike for them, for $1500, even if they don't like if I figure it would be an easy re-sale, or even my wife or someone else in their church can use it.
Old 02-19-23, 11:56 AM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Originally Posted by linberl
Except many folks over 60 have physical limitations and would not be able to ride at all without assist. There are 2 groups of ebike riders - those who simply want the ease and speed without full effort and those who have knee, hip or other physical issues that make
traditional biking difficult or impossible. I would venture the 2d group rides more carefully and slower than the 1st group. And there are folks over 60 in both groups.
A person whose physical issues make it difficult or impossible to ride a traditional bike doesnt belong on an E Bike...just sayin.........
Old 02-19-23, 12:16 PM
linberl

A person whose physical issues make it difficult or impossible to ride a traditional bike doesnt belong on an E Bike...just sayin.........
That's an incredibly ignorant statement. Because someone has arthritis in their knees or back does not mean they should not ride an e-bike. Being older doesn't mean you are
declining mentally nor does it necessarily mean your reflexes have diminished substantially. And most likely your judgment is better than someone young who thinks they
are invincible. I can't ride a 2 wheeler anymore due to balance issues but I am quite capable of riding my electrified tadpole trike.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-19-23, 02:42 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

That's a very poor blanket statement.

Prior to the pandemic, I used to volunteer on my semi-recumbent tandem to ride with folks with disabilities, legally blind and just physically incapable of operating a bicycle on their own.
Taking folks on a short bicycle (tandem) ride that allows them to be outdoors, having wind in their faces, sunshine on their skin; make the world of difference to those folks.
Some of them may just need some help balancing to get them back on their feet; and having someone to help them along on a tandem gives them confidence to work up that it's okay to be outdoors on their own.
Being disabled doesn't mean that you cannot learn and adapt to operate an ebike; just take more time and patience for someone to show you and help you along.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 02-19-23, 03:30 PM
shabs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-23, 11:57 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
i've had to move to a recumbent trike from my DF bikes. Tadpoles are pretty stable unless you are a dumba** and take turns at unsafe speeds.
Sorry to hear that as I liked your posts about the Bike Friday, but glad you're still rolling away, Ride on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.