Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Thead bumping / necro / zombie bumping years old thread rules and etiquette?

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 02-24-23, 06:14 PM
fjifu

Bikes: 76 Fuji Gran Tourer, 80 Gran Tourer SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TL;DR I've searched for info on this through google and here and can't find a definitive or round'about answer

Recently I've come across two threads that almost exactly describe my scenario. Threads full of useful information and suggestions from posters with much more experience some of which I've successfully acted on which happen to be many years old. I want to add to those discussions, clarifying and reiterating how helpful certain tips are for future web searchers seeking similar solutions to obscure problems as well as giving my more specific scenario hoping another more recent reader sees it and can elaborate, even if they weren't involved with the years old bumped discussion + the likelihood of such old posters being available for contribution is nil.

I'm continually amazed at the kind of crowd-sourced, Wiki style aggregation of knowledge and expert advice this website offers - for free and hopefully in perpetuity. That in mind, the most recent, best clarification I found:
​​​​
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Forum posting is a damned if you do damned if you don't between a rock and a hard place that centers between "why did you start a new thread on this" and "why did you respond to this old thread".
People are weird about that. From a mod perspective, if there wasn't a batch of insulting and kvetching going on in a 5 year old thread I have no problem with someone resurrecting it. I'm not sure where my limit is, but unless it's a really quality thread if it's 7 years old a lot of the posters in it probably aren't here to defend themselves and we probably are going to close the thread. If there was a serious round of ankle-biting in a thread, 2 years old is past its best by date and it's probably going to be closed. We can always split off a new post into its own thread. [...]
https://www.bikeforums.net/22685348-post16.html

I've thought about creating new threads documenting my specific problems with the aim of updating my opening post to encompass all the results/helpful insights I receive so it could be recalled by those web searching for like problems later. But I've seen so many threads that almost exactly-or even down to the part exactly-describe my problem already that it seems superfluous. Is bumping such threads better than starting a new one or is it always case by case?
Old 02-25-23, 06:41 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
My opinion is that the date of last post (or start of thread) doesn't matter. If your reply is related to the topic, fire away. It's much easier to deal with details in a single thread than multiple threads.
Old 02-25-23, 07:00 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
My opinion is that the date of last post (or start of thread) doesn't matter. If your reply is related to the topic, fire away. It's much easier to deal with details in a single thread than multiple threads.
I agree. However, it might be helpful to advise readers that you are resurrecting an old thread. That might prompt readers to read the old posts to minimize asking the same questions or providing the same information.
Likes For ralphs:
Old 02-25-23, 10:48 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
However, it might be helpful to advise readers that you are resurrecting an old thread.
The problem with that is that new members posting in old threads mostly don't even know there is a starting date/time stamp on the OP. Even long time members are frequently fooled, myself included. My only solution would be to automatically close but not delete a thread if inactive for more than X number of months/years. Powered by forum software of course so as not to create more drudge work for the Mods.
Old 02-25-23, 11:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
I'd suggest that if OP has valuable new info, start a new thread. Link the old thread if relevant. No big deal as it shouldn't happen often. Not like Sheldon Brown reincarnated and has something useful to add to dozens of threads.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-25-23, 11:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I too will say it's better to just start a new thread. BF is more a social platform for talking about current stuff. And there isn't a good way for any to recognize that they are opening a old dead thread. Short threads it's not so much a problem. But long threads can have a member disagreeing with someone about something that is a matter of personal preference or perhaps a long dead piece of dogma that isn't even accepted any more.

And many new replies get added that are quoting and addressing members that are no longer active to defend their comments. I have even seen some revivals restart and argument between too members that had been getting along in the time the thread was dead.

Perhaps if BF had a way to alert members that the thread is something that many would consider a necro thread, then that might help some. But while non-member's browsing the internet do sometimes find threads about a topic that motivates them to become members and reply. They also need to understand that there are thousands of similar threads on BF. Some that probably already contained the information they posted in the thread they revived.

So IMO, it'd be better for the necro thread to be referenced in a new post if there is pertinent info in it. Not just resurrected and added too. However for noobs, that's a problem since they can't link till they get 10 posts.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-25-23 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 12:16 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Some Zombie threads seem to disappear completely after a statute of limitations wears out? For example, ~ 10 years ago there were several helpful threads on how to troubleshoot Shimano FlightDeck computers. Now,if I find any they are mostly of the unhelpful variety. Sometimes, when I can’t find an old thread & start a new thread - a negative person will start right in on why this system is obsolete/unworkable/not to their liking….
Sort of like when a member asks for others to share tips & tricks about chain waxing, what we are looking for are tricks & tips that can facilitate ongoing learning & time saving or increased efficiency…but unfortunately those who are not fans of a given concept like to drag it down with long winded reasons why proposed ideas don’t work.

And so, in a way I’m more in favor of keeping the zombie thread going if it is a good one because my experience starting new ones with old topics (e.g. FlightDeck, UniGlide, Klein pressfit bottom bracket conversions) leads to the sound of crickets (or worse) as you wait for some helpful person to step forward & provide meaningful content to keep the knowledge base moving forward.

Last edited by masi61; 02-25-23 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-25-23, 12:24 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
While I agree that rarely new light will be shed on a topic, it isn't going to make any of our tires go flat if someone posts in a thread from ages ago. I do think it is unnecessary for anyone that feels they were inconvenienced by opening a ten year old thread to jump on a new member's back over opening the thread back up. It doesn't help anyone fix their bike or want to become part of the forum community when they ask for help. This happens both ways in old threads where they are told they need to start a new thread and new threads they start where they are told to search. They likely already searched google and that is what brought them here. People can always go back to arguing over chain lubes and brake technology instead of attacking a new member.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-05-23, 02:40 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It’s really a judgement call. If the comment still “fits” previous discussion I think it’s ok to bump the old thread. Only issue is many members don’t pay attention to post dates and may start to comment on/disagree with old posts in the bumped thread, not aware they are talking to the past.

Your choice.
Old 03-05-23, 04:47 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
zombie posts are OK.

maybe this site gets paid for quantity & not the quality of posts???
Old 03-05-23, 05:14 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
maybe this site gets paid for quantity & not the quality of posts???
Bingo.
Old 03-07-23, 09:06 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6730 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 3,198 Posts
I don't care how they get paid, I know I contribute and it's not a lot for what I get.

My advise before you resurrect a thread is to read it from page 1 and just don't quote anybody unless you already interact with them in a current thread, preferably in the same forum.

Some really old threads are classics and are worth a read and a bump for a new crowd.
Old 03-07-23, 10:01 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I don't care how they get paid, I know I contribute and it's not a lot for what I get.

My advise before you resurrect a thread is to read it from page 1 and just don't quote anybody unless you already interact with them in a current thread, preferably in the same forum.

Some really old threads are classics and are worth a read and a bump for a new crowd.
Agree. Sadly, some of the really GOOD (and funny) ones went off track and got locked. Sad!
Old 03-14-23, 06:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think maybe the best idea is to start your new thread with links to the old threads that you found. That way people aren't responding to users that are no longer here and probably are in a happier place in their lives with a brand new bike that has brand new problems.

Originally Posted by masi61
Some Zombie threads seem to disappear completely after a statute of limitations wears out? For example, ~ 10 years ago there were several helpful threads on how to troubleshoot Shimano FlightDeck computers.
Have you tried searching via google? There have been some times since I have been here when the database got messed up, but AFAIK, we don't get rid of old threads.

As far as zombie threads goes, we often leave them if it's a good thread. But since we don't close threads at a certain age, someone might show up from a google search and bump just about any thread. And it often seems that if someone was making controversial statements in a thread, that thread will sometimes get bumped for that reason alone. We don't allow one-sided flame wars, so we close the thread. If we really hate the thread, we'll delete anything after the bump.

Here's a thread that was too beautiful to stay open. You can't see the post that got us to decide to close it. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-yell-you.html

Last edited by unterhausen; 03-14-23 at 06:51 PM.