Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

UK - The cycling habit most hated by drivers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

UK - The cycling habit most hated by drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 09:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sounds as if you aren't pedaling in the prairies as your name suggests. You seem to be describing a more urban environment than I ride in. Though I live in a urban area I have a nearby MUP that affords me access to less crowded country roads. But even quite a few of our urban roads I will ride on a bike.

So I'll say your conditions and circumstances aren't my conditions and circumstances. There isn't just one correct answer that fits everyone or even all situations that I or you will encounter.
I live in Winnipeg, which is a city in a Prairie Province. Most riding takes place here. The City (700,000) is not a metropolis but it does have it's traffic.
Old 04-03-23, 09:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of confirmation bias. People need to hate, and will always find groups to target. Then they use anecdotes to prove their case.

So, an individual cyclist's actions won't cause people to hate cyclists. It will only validate bias that's there already.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-03-23, 10:00 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Welcome to the wonderful world of confirmation bias. People need to hate, and will always find groups to target. Then they use anecdotes to prove their case.

So, an individual cyclist's actions won't cause people to hate cyclists. It will only validate bias that's there already.
According to this article, confirmation bias agaist people on bike is created by out-group homogeneity. Makes sense to me.

https://garethrees.org/2012/01/10/bias/

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 04-03-23, 10:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
If you are the driver of a slower car and fail to create an opportunity for the driver behind you to pass, the other driver will most likely blame you as a person. If you do the same on bike, they will blame you as a cyclist AND the whole cycling community. I hate out-group homogeneity.

People who are "blaming" the entire community are either justifying their own hostility or giving an alibi to other hostile drivers. It's also mostly circular because they wouldn't consider this blameworthy behavior if it was performed by any other "slow moving" vehicle. Drivers routinely block lanes waiting for the opportunity to properly make a left turn. When I do that as a cyclist, I've literally had drivers go out of their way to threaten me with their front bumper. If I am in a car, no one thinks twice about it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-04-23, 04:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I always ride with a mirror so I know what is behind. I'll duck into a bus stop alcove, driveway etc., and let traffic go by
I am happy to remove myself from traffic via driveway, etc. to allow cars to get by.
Old 04-05-23, 05:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am happy to remove myself from traffic via driveway, etc. to allow cars to get by.
I find that FRAP riding as I practice it really doesn't detain significant motor vehicle traffic. I take the lane when I'm turning or to prevent right hooks, but otherwise get reasonably close to the right margin. Ducking out of the road is something I just won't do, especially if it just makes me reenter a trafficked road.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-05-23, 06:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
'The more outraged we are at others, the more righteous we feel; the more righteous we feel, the more we feel duty-bound to be outraged at others. One can really rev out on that vicious cycle. It's highly addictive.' https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...hteous-outrage
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-05-23, 09:38 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I find that FRAP riding as I practice it really doesn't detain significant motor vehicle traffic. I take the lane when I'm turning or to prevent right hooks, but otherwise get reasonably close to the right margin. Ducking out of the road is something I just won't do, especially if it just makes me reenter a trafficked road.
I too ride near the right edge of the road whenever it is safe to do so, but in reality, things like debris, parked cars, curbs, etc. often make it unsafe. FRAP also encourages drivers to pass me closely instead of waiting for a safe passing opportunity behind me, even though I do control-and-release as much as practical.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)