Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Long distance commuting is a "thing"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 06:32 AM
kyplaskon

Bikes: Old ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

Locally, people were always surprised by my commute length of 67 miles. I posted this story on the Solitary Cycling Facebook page (125k members) and found that there are a TON of people who commute long distances by bike to work. It's refreshing to know that there are people out there setting a great example. If I can ride 67 miles round trip, there are certainly many people out there who could ride just 1-10 a few times a week.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2023/...e/70228403007/
Likes For kyplaskon:
Old 05-31-23, 06:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by kyplaskon
Locally, people were always surprised by my commute length of 67 miles. I posted this story on the Solitary Cycling Facebook page (125k members) and found that there are a TON of people who commute long distances by bike to work. It's refreshing to know that there are people out there setting a great example. If I can ride 67 miles round trip, there are certainly many people out there who could ride just 1-10 a few times a week.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2023/...e/70228403007/
my short conversations with those that would have entertained the idea has revealed that other factors out of there control put the skids on that being a thing.

Location is key.
Old 05-31-23, 07:13 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Few have that kind of time. And where I live I think you'd hit a thunderstorm 4 days out of 5 in the summer. But I certainly admire anyone who can pull it off.

Last edited by jon c.; 05-31-23 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-31-23, 10:44 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
My longest commute to work was nearly 50-miles round trip, IIRC it was about 23-miles one way. My co-workers, that lived near me, were kind of astonished at how quick I got to work compared to their time. And that's because the traffic in this area was horrendous, but I stuck to the back roads and saw almost none of it, but those areas where I did see heavy traffic, I simply rode past

I saw it as time well spent, since I was getting to work and a cardio workout at the same time, without the stress of dealing with traffic.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-31-23, 01:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Back when the Commuting forum was a lot more active, you'd see a few long-distance commuters, even some dedicated threads like https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...week-23-a.html @CigTech was pretty legendary for wringing lots of commuting miles out of cheap bikes.

@kyplaskon, you should get in on the Commuting Mileage Thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ge-thread.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-31-23 at 01:27 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-31-23, 07:54 PM
kyplaskon

Bikes: Old ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Few have that kind of time. And where I live I think you'd hit a thunderstorm 4 days out of 5 in the summer. But I certainly admire anyone who can pull it off.
I hit a thunderstorm yesterday.
Old 05-31-23, 09:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,423 Posts
.....If I can ride 67 miles round trip, there are certainly many people out there who could ride just 1-10 a few times a week.......
So, i only rode to work totalling 75-100+ per week for 10+ years*, but I'd never use that to argue that others could too.

We're all in different situations and live our own lives based on personal situations, possibilities, and preferences.

So, while I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you, I can't endorse the implied virtue signaling.

* distances vary because I'd often take longer routes home depending on time, weather, and whim.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-31-23, 09:42 PM
L26

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
This is crazy to me as a newbie. I rode a crappy folding bike a few months ago for all of like 5 miles before it fell apart and my perineum was sore for a week. I bet you didn't cheap out on your saddle
Old 06-01-23, 06:23 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by L26
This is crazy to me as a newbie. I rode a crappy folding bike a few months ago for all of like 5 miles before it fell apart and my perineum was sore for a week. I bet you didn't cheap out on your saddle
or just didn't sit nor poop for a week?
Old 06-01-23, 06:37 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by L26
When I first started commuting, I went thru about five department store cheap bikes (two of them broke down within a week) before I broke down and went to a bike store. As for the seat, I have nothing special, you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll become a hard ass

Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-01-23, 09:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So, i only rode to work totalling 75-100+ per week for 10+ years*, but I'd never use that to argue that others could too.

We're all in different situations and live our own lives based on personal situations, possibilities, and preferences.

So, while I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you, I can't endorse the implied virtue signaling.

* distances vary because I'd often take longer routes home depending on time, weather, and whim.
Agree with application of the label "virtue signaling" to the OP; only it is not "implied," it is overt as well as obnoxious.
Boasting and flexing about "setting a great example" by long distance cycling is not only a foolish argument that others "could too," it is a wee-wee poor argument about why they should.
Old 06-02-23, 09:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
...people were always surprised by my commute length of 67 miles...
I couldn't do that for very long. Maybe once a week.

My longest was 18 each way. 10 on a bike path, the rest in the city straight through the Downtown grid. It was not by choice. My wife and I were displaced to an apartment complex outside of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina ruined out house. I did this commute for almost 1-1/2 years. I was in great shape, I'll tell you that. And how I avoided any overuse injuries I couldn't tell you. Dumb luck.

My favorite commute was 8 each way, about 6 on a lake-side bike path. 8 is about the most I really want to be honest.

Currently, my commute past 4 years is 7 MINUTES. I can walk it in 25 minutes. 100% through a college campus and City Park. Heaven.
Old 06-03-23, 06:48 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
For me, 67 miles would be too far to drive, let alone bike.
Old 06-03-23, 10:16 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A long distance bike commute like that will only work for somebody who has an easy sedentary job and has nothing else to do in their life. I mean we're looking at least 2 hours or more ride one way to work and another 2 hours or more back daily.....Personally I wouldn't even want to drive that far to a job. If it works for you that's great, but it's just not practical even for majority of bike enthusiasts who love riding.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-03-23, 11:12 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by PaulH
For me, 67 miles would be too far to drive, let alone bike.
Same here. That said...

My forced 18 mile commute (36 daily) for 17 months was FAR preferable to driving it in a car. It was only 20-30 minutes more on the bike, mostly chill bike paths, no getting stuck in gridlock, and I was getting in Hella-good shape. My wife spends 45-90 minutes in the gym nearly every day AND drives to/from work.

60 miles a day IS that dude's life. If he likes it, and can avoid overuse injuries, rock on man! Fabulous. MAKE TIME for what you love.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-03-23, 01:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
My wife spends 45-90 minutes in the gym nearly every day AND drives to/from work......
This has always been one of my arguments for bike commuting. It's the ultimate multi-tasking.

Instead of sitting in traffic, then spending time at the gym, bike commuting kills two birds, and gives me an extra hour for other stuff.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-03-23, 01:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I've never been tempted to buy an e-bike but I would if I dealt with a long commute like this.
Old 06-06-23, 04:46 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
or just didn't sit nor poop for a week?
Pooping is for sissies, and standing desks are trendy!

60 miles a day IS that dude's life. If he likes it, and can avoid overuse injuries, rock on man! Fabulous. MAKE TIME for what you love.
...but for those who love things *besides* biking... (or, have commitments besides biking)...

This has always been one of my arguments for bike commuting. It's the ultimate multi-tasking.

Instead of sitting in traffic, then spending time at the gym, bike commuting kills two birds, and gives me an extra hour for other stuff.
Assuming that biking is all one wants out of the gym. Hard to lift weights, do plyo, or practice dance on a bike, though (I apparently *don't* multitask well).

Besides, me going to the gym after work (gym is in office building) lets me avoid going home during rush-hour traffic.
Likes For Kat12:
Old 06-06-23, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Kat12
......Assuming that biking is all one wants out of the gym. Hard to lift weights, do plyo, or practice dance on a bike, though (I apparently *don't* multitask well).
I write how I think and speak, and simply to add emoticons, so you have to discern the smile by context. I know there are other reasons to hit the gym, (yes, I go too) but find that the vast majority seems to be on treadmills or stationary bikes, even with beautiful weather conducive to an evening walk.

Anyway, you're a better multi-tasker than you admit. Using sit-in-traffic time to hit the gym counts.
Old 06-06-23, 05:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,044 Posts
I couldn't do that for very long. Maybe once a week.
Note: The OP does his 67 mile bike commute once or twice a week. Presumably he drives to work on other days or works from home. Perhaps if he lived closer to his worksite(s) he could set a great example of riding a bike to work everyday.
One to two days per week, Plaskon, who doubles as a public information officer for Nevada Medicaid and president of the Truckee Meadows Bike Alliance, rides 67 miles round-trip to and from his Carson City office.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-06-23, 05:04 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Thanks, OP. I'm always interested and inspired by what other people are doing.
Commuting on my bike is the best part of my day.
Old 06-06-23, 07:44 PM
Kat12

I write how I think and speak, and simply to add emoticons, so you have to discern the smile by context. I know there are other reasons to hit the gym, (yes, I go too) but find that the vast majority seems to be on treadmills or stationary bikes, even with beautiful weather conducive to an evening walk.

Anyway, you're a better multi-tasker than you admit. Using sit-in-traffic time to hit the gym counts.
Some people do honestly believe that gym is pointless... I know another forum where someone posted such a thread only recently. And, for some people, biking truly is all they want to do. OP may in fact be one of those people (which, I admit, surely makes life easier than doing a lot of things).
Old 06-06-23, 08:30 PM
FBinNY 

Some people do honestly believe that gym is pointless... I know another forum where someone posted such a thread only recently. And, for some people, biking truly is all they want to do. OP may in fact be one of those people (which, I admit, surely makes life easier than doing a lot of things).
We all live our own lives. I've always been active, especially bicycling. Non cycling friends would say things like how it's good that I took such care of my health.

I'd always correct that, and say that I rode because I liked it, and any effect on health was purely a fringe benefit.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-06-23, 11:15 PM
Kat12

We all live our own lives. I've always been active, especially bicycling. Non cycling friends would say things like how it's good that I took such care of my health.

I'd always correct that, and say that I rode because I liked it, and any effect on health was purely a fringe benefit.
It's definitely a lot easier when it's something you love!
Old 06-07-23, 11:45 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

...but for those who love things *besides* biking... (or, have commitments besides biking)...
I've taken as long as 7 months on self-contained bike tours and averaged 60 miles/Day on fully loaded touring bikes. Can't imagine having to work an 8 hour day too.

I was in great shape even though I do not love ​​cycling. Better than going to a gym for me but fitness is just a bi-product of me getting from A to B, not much riding for fun/fitness on purpose.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-07-23 at 12:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.