Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Decent quality bibs or shorts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Decent quality bibs or shorts

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-23, 08:04 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Do yourself a favor and spend a little more.
La Passione is the best value I have found, not the cheapest and not the most expensive.
Sometimes they have good sales bringing the price to around $100 for bibshorts.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collection...rts-and-tights
Old 06-02-23, 12:26 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
You get what you pay for.
Do yourself a favor and spend a little more.
La Passione is the best value I have found, not the cheapest and not the most expensive.
Sometimes they have good sales bringing the price to around $100 for bibshorts.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collection...rts-and-tights

When I get down to my target weight I will be buying good quality gear if the black bibs don’t do the job.
Old 06-02-23, 04:14 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I would also like to point out that shorts isn't where you want to go cheap. If an expensive pair is what will make longer rides comfortable, it's worth it. I don't really have a reccomendation because in my experience, your body, your saddle, your position, and other factors, all make a difference. My current favorite bibs are from Pactimo but they are pricey and I only buy them during sales.

I also recommend buying from a smaller company that is dedicated to cycling clothing. I think their products are more consistent in terms of fit and quality than big companies like PI that might just be buying whatever outsourced stuff is the least expensive. Pretty much every brand has certain seasonal sales where prices are reduced considerably; like 30-50%.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that whatever saddle you have may not be right for you, in which case, cycling shorts/bibs may not help much. When I got back into biking, I bought a used bike that had a Prologo saddle that was supposed to be pretty good but not for me. No matter what I wore and how often I rode, it was bad. 20 miles was hard, 30 was painful, and after 40 about all I could think of was how much it hurt. Once I found a better saddle, I was able to increase my riding substantially.
Old 06-02-23, 04:44 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I would also like to point out that shorts isn't where you want to go cheap. If an expensive pair is what will make longer rides comfortable, it's worth it. I don't really have a reccomendation because in my experience, your body, your saddle, your position, and other factors, all make a difference. My current favorite bibs are from Pactimo but they are pricey and I only buy them during sales.

I also recommend buying from a smaller company that is dedicated to cycling clothing. I think their products are more consistent in terms of fit and quality than big companies like PI that might just be buying whatever outsourced stuff is the least expensive. Pretty much every brand has certain seasonal sales where prices are reduced considerably; like 30-50%.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that whatever saddle you have may not be right for you, in which case, cycling shorts/bibs may not help much. When I got back into biking, I bought a used bike that had a Prologo saddle that was supposed to be pretty good but not for me. No matter what I wore and how often I rode, it was bad. 20 miles was hard, 30 was painful, and after 40 about all I could think of was how much it hurt. Once I found a better saddle, I was able to increase my riding substantially.
The saddle is, I think, original. My bike is a 2012 Specialized Roubaix. I bought it used a couple of years ago.
Old 06-03-23, 02:23 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I'd say give Voler Bibs a try, as they include complimentary shipping both ways and a 90 day wear 'em and try 'em trial. The Jet Escape for $99 has the same pad a their $175 Black Label bibs, the difference being the type of fabric. I'm pretty sure they use the same cut for all their bibs, and they're made by Voler in house locally.

I'd suspect they'd fit you as after trying some of their Caliber and Black Label bibs recently, they are distinctly designed for full bodied types. I'm tall and lean so the fit was much too loose for my body type in the legs especially. They're obviously designed for people with much stockier builds. If you have good sized thighs they'd be perfect. The quality of the stitching was very good, straight with clean finishing and no loose threads and such.

https://store.voler.com/collections/...rts-and-shorts
Likes For Garthr:
Old 06-05-23, 06:40 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Do these really need to be handwashed?
Old 06-05-23, 09:16 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Looks like they don’t. The tag said that.
I will hang them to dry.
Old 06-06-23, 06:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
https://aerotechdesigns.com/ is my go to for clothing

Same here. Someone here recommend Aerotech a long time ago. I tried them in 2016 and won't ever buy another brand.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-06-23, 02:32 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Another vote for Aero Tech Designs. Excellent quality, great value. And fantastic shipping and customer service. And as a bonus, they make clothes for larger, or as I like to say, us normal guys, not just the animated twigs who weigh less than their bikes.
Old 06-06-23, 03:02 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by exercion
Another vote for Aero Tech Designs. Excellent quality, great value. And fantastic shipping and customer service. And as a bonus, they make clothes for larger, or as I like to say, us normal guys, not just the animated twigs who weigh less than their bikes.
Thanks guys. I may look into them when I need a smaller size. I’m losing weight steadily.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 06-06-23 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 07:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I just bought a pair of Sponeed bicycle shorts from Amazon. It was $37.50 after tax. Put them on for a quick ride this afternoon. They felt pretty good - at least not much different than the old Endura pairs I've had for several years. I'm going to buy another pair soon.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-06-23, 08:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by daihard
I just bought a pair of Sponeed bicycle shorts from Amazon. It was $37.50 after tax. Put them on for a quick ride this afternoon. They felt pretty good - at least not much different than the old Endura pairs I've had for several years. I'm going to buy another pair soon.
I am replacing a pair of Canaris shorts from Academy so anything will probably be an improvement.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 06-08-23, 07:45 AM
tonybano

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll second the Sponeed. These were my 1st true pair of bicycle shorts. I tried a few different pairs on in stores and really didn't like any of them. My wife did some research and Sponeed came up well reviewed in a lot of places and noted as a best bang for your buck type of thing. HUGE difference vs just regular shorts and honestly pretty darn comfy. Made a huge difference in my riding. Not the best looking but I would recommend them to anyone.
Likes For tonybano:
Old 06-08-23, 09:26 AM
big john

Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
A lot of people here really like The Black Bibs with a low price tag and comfort to match top brands https://theblackbibs.com/

I like them a lot, but like Neo Pro even better https://neoprocycling.com/

Hope that helps!
Neo Pro shorts or bibs? Keith added a pair of XXL shorts to his order for me and I couldn't even get them on. As in, there is no way I could wear them.

Sad to agree about the demise of Pearl Izumi shorts. Was my go-to for years, now quality and fit have suffered.
Old 06-08-23, 10:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Neo Pro shorts or bibs? Keith added a pair of XXL shorts to his order for me and I couldn't even get them on. As in, there is no way I could wear them.

Sad to agree about the demise of Pearl Izumi shorts. Was my go-to for years, now quality and fit have suffered.
I wear large in both brands (for shorts), but Neo Pro does seem to make much smaller increments between sizes. Also, I couldn’t even get a large jersey on and a 2XL is pretty tight on me. Their sizing chart seems to reflect that, but they also seem to like the tight “race cut”

Last edited by urbanknight; 06-08-23 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 06-08-23, 10:57 AM
JustAHouseCat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Big fan of the black bibs. I have 2 of their ultimate bibs and they are my preferred bib. Especially for long rides. One of these days i'll have to try their jersey's as well. I just really love the lightweight Rapha ones for riding in the heat.
Likes For JustAHouseCat:
Old 06-08-23, 11:04 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by JustAHouseCat
Big fan of the black bibs. I have 2 of their ultimate bibs and they are my preferred bib. Especially for long rides. One of these days i'll have to try their jersey's as well. I just really love the lightweight Rapha ones for riding in the heat.
i usually just wear a Nike quick dry shirt. When I finally get rid of my gut I will probably wear a jersey.
Old 06-08-23, 11:53 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by tonybano
I'll second the Sponeed. These were my 1st true pair of bicycle shorts. I tried a few different pairs on in stores and really didn't like any of them. My wife did some research and Sponeed came up well reviewed in a lot of places and noted as a best bang for your buck type of thing. HUGE difference vs just regular shorts and honestly pretty darn comfy. Made a huge difference in my riding. Not the best looking but I would recommend them to anyone.
Haha true. I guess we get good deals in exchange for free advertising.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 06-08-23, 02:06 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Haha true. I guess we get good deals in exchange for free advertising.
the Sponeed shorts have extra padding?
Old 06-08-23, 04:07 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

the Sponeed shorts have extra padding?
They have a chamois just like any other bicycle shorts.

Likes For daihard:
Old 06-08-23, 04:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

They have a chamois just like any other bicycle shorts.
their site calls them padded cycling shorts and advertise 4d gel padding. It makes it sound like they are more comfortable than chamois.
Old 06-08-23, 04:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Neo Pro shorts or bibs?
Oh, I read that incorrectly. Bibs. I have too much of a gut to wear shorts anymore.
Old 06-08-23, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
I never handwash my cycling kit, but I ALWAYS hang dry. I had a pair of bibs go from comfortably snug to way too lose after one of my kids 'helpfully' put my stuff in the drier for me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-08-23, 05:07 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

their site calls them padded cycling shorts and advertise 4d gel padding. It makes it sound like they are more comfortable than chamois.
"Chamois" is the common term that describes any padding on bicycle shorts. Or at least that's what I thought.

Old 06-08-23, 05:17 PM
big john

Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Oh, I read that incorrectly. Bibs. I have too much of a gut to wear shorts anymore.
Other people I know have their bibs and are happy with the fit. They recently started selling shorts and I don't know anyone who has them. He was ordering some stuff and I wanted to try the new shorts. I asked for 2XL and they seem like small to me. I think they sell 4XL, maybe those would fit.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.